Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2020, 07:17 AM

Default Slow Build Time - Which is quicker wings or fuselage?

With the quick build kits 7 months - 12 months out (just in talking with Vans on the phone), I'd like to use that wait time to work on a kit.

With that in mind, which tends to take longer, wings or fuselage? Just what's included with the kit, meaning fuselage minus the electronics, interior and so on.

I'd like to order one or the other and then work on it for those 5+ months in difference.

Hope this isn't too loaded of a question. My guess is wings would take less but it's been years since I've studied this.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:10 AM

Default RV14A-Wings vs Fuselage

Wings, slow-build; took me about one year at a reasonable pace, 10-15 hrs / week, mostly by myself except for bottom skins needed help to buck rivets.

Fuselage, quick-build; took about 120 hrs to substantially finish up. I was hearing that the fuselage slow-build was taking other builders between 1200 to 1800 hours, for me that would be close to two years - so went quick build fuselage.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195, Start 10/11/14
Contribution made 12/2/20 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Old 07-09-2020, 09:05 AM

I know everyone works at a different speed, but I received my slow build fuselage in October and I had it to quick build stage by mid-February. I don't keep track of my hours, but it seemed to go together pretty quickly.
Paid for 2020
Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 AM

Default Wijgs

The wings go fasted to QB stage. Fuse to QB stage doesn't take much longer. It's the other stuff that slows the project. Finishing kit canopy!
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:41 PM

Can't talk to speed but I found the fuse much more enjoyable to build than the wings. If I were to pick one QB kit I'd buy the QB wings and have fun building a SB fuse while I waited.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:18 PM

I haven't started my fuselage yet so I can't compare the time for both with any personal experience, but if I were to build another one I would seriously consider quick build wings. I'm building both of the wings at the same time and building each component twice is extremely tedious. Plus, once I finish a component for one wing my excitement really drops off when it's time to go finish the same component for the other wing so a lot of the time the second one actually takes me longer than the first.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:04 PM

Default QB wings

I did both fuselage and wings slow build. I am not sure of the time differential to QB stage, but can absolutely state that I if I were to choose one or the other for QB it would be the wings. In fact I would wait on ordering the QB wings until later in the project as the vast majority of build time is in the fuselage. As mentioned in my Kitlog I saved the wings until last excepting FWF. That way I did not have a $10K bill hanging from the wall as I completed the balance of the aircraft systems.

I found the fuselage and the many systems that had to be installed by far and away the most fun of the build.
Dues paid 2020
Old 07-09-2020, 02:11 PM

Recommend wings for the quick build. Fuse was much more fun as each step was new. Wings just sucked the fun out of the build as it was a lot of repetition.
RV10 Slow Build - #41778
Finish Kit - in progress
RV10builder.com
KVKX / KHEF
Old 07-09-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDC View Post
Recommend wings for the quick build. Fuse was much more fun as each step was new. Wings just sucked the fun out of the build as it was a lot of repetition.
Currently on wings. Agree 100%. Wings are like building the horizontal stabilizer.. except bigger. Like deburring ribs? do it 30 times! Like countersinking? You get to do it 800+ times in the spar! Like cutting stiffeners out of stock? You get to do it 30ish times for the ailerons alone! Oh and you get the fun of trying to decipher the aileron SB and how it fits into the existing plans (don't forgot those countersinks.. i sure did!).

And the fuel tank instructions are incomplete AND incorrect, which makes things even more "fun".
Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 PM

I did the slow fuselage and quick wings, perhaps for different reasons.

The wings are boring, period. Plus the infamous tank sealant that will destroy at least several pants and shirts. One set of tanks in my non prepunched -6 was more than enough. (If you do make the mistake and build tanks, look up the sticky thread on the building tips forum)

The fuselage is fun, something different every day. You won?t get tired of dimpling huge skins, and you will be amazed to watch it grow from a (big) pile of parts into a wonder in the home builder world.
HP-18 5596S flying since '83
RV-10 996S flying since 2014, quick build wing and slow build fues., - dual Skyviews with complete system, two radio and not much else. Interior completely finished with Zolatone. CF plenum. 1624 lbs, FLYING after a 21.5 month build.