VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #11  
Old 06-12-2020, 08:35 PM
gfb gfb is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 734
Default

I've been tempted to try the CQ for a while. Need to find someone nearby who has a set...
__________________
---
RV-9A - started 01/2015, completed 07/19/2018, 500hrs 03/14/2020
RV-10 - started 04/2020
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-12-2020, 09:09 PM
RV10Pilot RV10Pilot is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Medford, NJ USA
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
The question is, are there any ?good deals? on any of these now or in the future?
If "good deal" is what you want you cannot beat the CQ1 headsets. They are half the price of any of the high end ANR headsets and the noise attenuation is on par with the Bose and Lightspeeds. I can not tell the difference between my CQ1 and my son's Bose A20. Yes, they are in the ear, they do take longer to put on and you need to change the tips every so often. But once you find the right ear plug they are extremely comfortable, more comfortable than over the ear headsets on long trips. The "Premium" (comply) tips are the best for me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-2020, 03:53 AM
Canadian_JOY Canadian_JOY is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,369
Default A Different Opinion...

If one reads my past posts you'll realize I've had some considerable experience in maintaining headsets for commercial helicopters, likely the most challenging environment for a headset. High noise is one of the challenges. Plain old brute force abuse by flight crew and uncaring passengers is likely the greatest challenge to the survival of a headset.

With that little back-story behind me, I'll opine that active noise reduction (ANR) is definitely NOT necessary in our light aircraft, IF and ONLY IF you can get enough passive noise reduction (PNR).

The in-ear headsets excel at PNR - they provide several dB more attenuation than the good old passive green David Clark mickey mouse ears. Plus, as mentioned by others, those mickey mouse ears require clamping force to produce a noise-tight seal between the headset seal and ones noggin. After a while, that hurts. Plus they are heavy, causing pressure on the top of the noggin. Again, that hurts. The in-ear headsets don't have these comfort drawbacks.

I own two pairs of Halos. The one in my Glasair Sportsman runs custom-moulded earplugs. The comfort is outstanding. The other Halo is in my other airplane, a very noisy Davis DA2A. That Halo runs the standard yellow Etymotic foamies. The custom earmoulds used to live in the Davis until the Sportsman started to fly. These custom plugs win the noise attenuation and comfort races hands down.

I've never been impressed with the durability of the Halos. They appear fragile. As a guy who made his living repairing literally a half dozen headsets a day, I take care of my headsets. So far I've never broken the Halos, nor the 38 year old David Clarks they replaced. Still, I'd like to try Scott and Tanya's CQ1. This summer that was high on my Oshkosh "to do" list. Oh well, maybe next year!

Now for the other parts of my opining... I own a Bose X headset. It has been disappointing because of its poor reliability, both electronically and mechanically. Simply put, Bose puts plastic in structural areas that should never be plastic. Bose also dead-ended support for the Bose X headset when mine were only four years old. I'm NOT impressed. Still, if anybody has a set with working dual-GA plug electronics, I'd welcome the opportunity to take two busted Bose X headsets to make one serviceable one.

Last summer at Oshkosh I picked up a David Clark One-X. I thought I'd have me a lovely shiny new headset. Nope... My wife got to them before I did and claimed them. She is kind and sometimes lets me borrow them. For her they are the hands-down winner in comfort and audio performance. She has industrial hearing loss so her needs are somewhat specific.

I've worn the One-X for extended periods and have to say it is far more comfortable than the Bose X it replaced. Noise attenuation is better, both passive and active. I would rate the noise attenuation of the DC One-X as being at least on par with the custom ear moulds on my Halo - that is, very good. The headset looks like it is built to last, with no plastic in key structural areas. It also folds up to a relatively compact size. Battery life is a bit of a problem though. DC claims something like 40 hours of duration on the AA cells. We're well past that and those batteries show no signs of slowing down. I have no clue how long they will last, but at 60+ hours I'm definitely impressed with how they're working so far.

With respect to service, I've had one instance in which I contacted DC for warranty service on the One-X. I had lost the belt clip for the electronics module. Don't know how or where - it's just gone. My call to DC was placed at the outset of the hard COVID-19 lockdown. I expected zero response. I left a voice message and received a callback the next morning. Two days later a replacement belt clip was delivered to my door - no questions asked. DC's service was excellent (as usual) even during the most difficult times for a business to function. That means something to me.

If one is looking for an ANR headset, the David Clark One-X deserves consideration.

I don't listen to music in flight and I use my PS Engineering audio panel to handle Bluetooth for phone calls so can't provide any feedback on headset performance in these areas.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-13-2020, 05:48 AM
plehrke's Avatar
plehrke plehrke is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Defiance, MO
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post

The in-ear headsets excel at PNR - they provide several dB more attenuation than the good old passive green David Clark mickey mouse ears. Plus, as mentioned by others, those mickey mouse ears require clamping force to produce a noise-tight seal between the headset seal and ones noggin. After a while, that hurts. Plus they are heavy, causing pressure on the top of the noggin. Again, that hurts. The in-ear headsets don't have these comfort drawbacks.
Agree. In-ear headsets have another advantage over the noise canceling over-ear for those that wear glasses. I found my glasses was the sound “leak” that limited the effectiveness of my David Clark. I got best results with flexible titanium frame glasses that would flex to limit gap (and clamping force required) but final made jump to in ear 5-6 years ago. I will never go back to over-ear for flying my RV. I have Halo but can’t recommend one brand over the other, just saying go with in-ear and you will be happy.

I am actually completely opposite for music listening in public places. I can’t stand standard type in-ear ear buds for listening from iPhone. I bought some high end Sony over ear that are very comfortable for music listening and have great features for music listening in noise attenuation and sound quality.
__________________
Philip
RV-6A - flying 14+ years, 950+ hours
Based at 1H0 (Creve Coeur)
Paid dues yearly since 2007

Last edited by plehrke : 06-13-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-13-2020, 07:15 AM
scard's Avatar
scard scard is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 3,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
If one reads my past posts you'll realize I've had some considerable experience in maintaining headsets for commercial helicopters, ...
Mark,
It sounds like you might appreciate the robustness of our fully molded driver and mic attach assemblies, connectorized board, "pro-audio" volume control, improved rigidity of the frame and "medical grade" Kevlar cored cables; just to name a few things often overlooked.

I'm aware of a number of very hard working pilots flying our headsets all day, every day in some hot, dirty, low conditions. Robustness vs weight and bulk is a delicate dance. You've seen the amazing things pilots can do to headsets. If I wanted to wear a pound of stuff on my head, it would be easy to make an assembly nearly bullet proof. Instead, we've committed a lot of effort toward internal construction and process. It isn't as perfect as I would wish, so those efforts are continuous. I'm proud that we aren't beholden to a team of investors or multi-hundred thousand dollar molds. So, change IS an option.

You might be one of the rare (sport) pilots that are happy with custom ear molds.
__________________
Scott Card
CQ Headset by Card Machine Works
CMW E-Lift
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 06-13-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-13-2020, 09:25 AM
Robb Robb is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nevada City Ca
Posts: 215
Default

I just cant get used to ear plugs or I would use them. I have 4 sets of Bose A20's and they work great for me. I did try Zulu 3's in my Husky and I sent them back as they were so bad I could barely hear the tower calls.
__________________
F1 EVO
Aviat Husky A1B
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-13-2020, 04:02 PM
Canadian_JOY Canadian_JOY is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Mark,
It sounds like you might appreciate the robustness of our fully molded driver and mic attach assemblies, connectorized board, "pro-audio" volume control, improved rigidity of the frame and "medical grade" Kevlar cored cables; just to name a few things often overlooked.

I'm aware of a number of very hard working pilots flying our headsets all day, every day in some hot, dirty, low conditions. Robustness vs weight and bulk is a delicate dance. You've seen the amazing things pilots can do to headsets. If I wanted to wear a pound of stuff on my head, it would be easy to make an assembly nearly bullet proof. Instead, we've committed a lot of effort toward internal construction and process. It isn't as perfect as I would wish, so those efforts are continuous. I'm proud that we aren't beholden to a team of investors or multi-hundred thousand dollar molds. So, change IS an option.

You might be one of the rare (sport) pilots that are happy with custom ear molds.
Scott - having read some of your previous comments about the CQ and its construction, I expected it would present a series of well-considered design trade-offs. Your comments above further confirm this to be the case. One of these fine days the borders will open and I might be able to get a CQ in my hot little hands to do that touchy-feeling thing!

As for the custom ear moulds, there's a bit of a trick to them. The first secret is to not go to an audiologist to have them made. Instead, go to a shop that specializes in the shooting sports, where hearing protection is a much more serious game. Mine were poured by a member of our national pistol team - it's something he does as a side hustle. I'm sure he doesn't make much money doing them as he puts a fair bit of time and effort into the process. His ear plugs work substantially better than any I previously had moulded.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-13-2020, 04:02 PM
f14av8r's Avatar
f14av8r f14av8r is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa (Wimauma actually)
Posts: 429
Default

Just quit worrying about it and buy some A20's. Absolutely the best headset out there.
__________________
Randy King
Tampa (Wimauma), Florida
RV-4 N212CS (sold)
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through March 2025
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-13-2020, 05:53 PM
RV6_flyer's Avatar
RV6_flyer RV6_flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NC25
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Just quit worrying about it and buy some A20's. Absolutely the best headset out there.
I have the A20 with LEMO plugs and for me I agree they are the best for me in my RV. I have owned several other ANR headsets before the A20. The A20 was the best for me.

Having tried at least a 1/2 dozen different ANR headsets in my RV, I have to say that the reason there are so many different brands including "In The Ear" has to do with the fact that there are no two heads alike. Just like underwear, you as an individual will like one brand and model better than another.
__________________
Gary A. Sobek
NC25 RV-6
Flying
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-13-2020, 05:59 PM
RV6_flyer's Avatar
RV6_flyer RV6_flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NC25
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Scott - having read some of your previous comments about the CQ and its construction, I expected it would present a series of well-considered design trade-offs. Your comments above further confirm this to be the case. One of these fine days the borders will open and I might be able to get a CQ in my hot little hands to do that touchy-feeling thing!

As for the custom ear moulds, there's a bit of a trick to them. The first secret is to not go to an audiologist to have them made. Instead, go to a shop that specializes in the shooting sports, where hearing protection is a much more serious game. Mine were poured by a member of our national pistol team - it's something he does as a side hustle. I'm sure he doesn't make much money doing them as he puts a fair bit of time and effort into the process. His ear plugs work substantially better than any I previously had moulded.
I would love to wear a set of in the ear headsets. I love the lightness and freedom they provide the user. I agree that someone in the shooting sports will make a great custom mold ear plug. I have a set of custom made shooting ear plugs molded from my ear canal. They work great but I never leave them in my ear canal more than an hour at a time. I am just one of those individuals that gets irritated with something in their ear canal for any length of time.
__________________
Gary A. Sobek
NC25 RV-6
Flying
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.