-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:28 PM

Default Parameters for and Electronic Ignition controller.

I would like to see air-fuel ratio readout and some kind of data stream (or output discrete(s))
for A/F, MAP, CHT and OAT to drive an electronic ignition control module. These parameters could allow a controller to give best power timing, but automatically limit advance with high CHT and/or high OAT.

I would not mind doing the work to calibrate the system, but do not want more knobs to twiddle in flight, every flight.

Thanks.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I would like to see air-fuel ratio readout and some kind of data stream (or output discrete(s))
for A/F, MAP, CHT and OAT to drive an electronic ignition control module.
Other than air/fuel (which requires an O2 sensor?), MAP, CHT, and OAT are already available on the CAN Bus I believe. You just need to tap in and listen.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
Other than air/fuel (which requires an O2 sensor?), MAP, CHT, and OAT are already available on the CAN Bus I believe. You just need to tap in and listen.
No, actually, an O2 sensor is not required- We know this because air mass flow can mapped using RPM, MAP, and InManTemp using calibration routine. It is the basis for an open loop speed density fuel system control method. I (as a development engineer) contracted with a controls group to do this on an engine fuel system controller and it was amazingly accurate. In our plane, we could then perform periodic checks at peak EGT to confirm the calibration. It is proven that this is a consistent way of determining A/F with minimal instrumentation.

The O2 sensor can certainly be used for precision, perturbation, drift and changes, but not required.

Fuel flow still has to come from the flow sensor.

Question: Are the Garmin CAN protocols open source or proprietary?

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
No, actually, an O2 sensor is not required- We know this because air mass flow can mapped using RPM, MAP, and InManTemp using calibration routine. It is the basis for an open loop speed density fuel system control method. I (as a development engineer) contracted with a controls group to do this on an engine fuel system controller and it was amazingly accurate. In our plane, we could then perform periodic checks at peak EGT to confirm the calibration. It is proven that this is a consistent way of determining A/F with minimal instrumentation.

The O2 sensor can certainly be used for precision, perturbation, drift and changes, but not required.
Very coo! Don't most engine computers use an O2 sensor though?

Quote:
Question: Are the Garmin CAN protocols open source or proprietary?
It conforms to Bosch CAN 2.0-B and ISO 11898.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
Very coo! Don't most engine computers use an O2 sensor though?
Most modern systems use RPM, MAT, MAP, and MAF (and CLT for warmup enrichment) for fuel flow and only use the O2 for fuel trimming, which is a fine tuning adjustment. Many only use narrow band O2 sensors, which are only accurate in the near vicinty of stochiometric. They indicate lean or rich of stoch, but no resolution on how much. In these cases, fuel flow outside of the economy range (i.e. acceleration) is purely off of the pre-configured tables.

Without MAF (i.e. speed density), one would have to have a lot of testing and data mapping to build appropriate tables for each engine configuration, but definately doable. It is what I did when I went to a custom EFI for my porsche, though I had wide band O2 to provide testing feedback. This was how early EFI worked.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 04-27-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:46 AM

I've got a simple upgrade that from a developer perspective should be real easy to code

for the SXM Music module, show the elapsed time or time remaining of a song....I had a recent flight where every station my passenger selected, was in the final 15-20seconds of the song, it seems like a simple addition to the code?

Another for the SXM Music Module, can we have a databar display of the song/artist playing?
Old 06-03-2020, 08:52 AM

Default Fuel Tank Totals

Would like to see the total fuel in each tank without having to go to the engine page. Maybe add them next to "Fuel QTY" like the other graph indicators, Oil PSI GPH, etc. or maybe above and below the graph line. Thanks!
Dual Garmin G3X Touch w/ GTN-650
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 AM

Default Dual Fuel Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentsrv7a View Post
Would like to see the total fuel in each tank without having to go to the engine page. Maybe add them next to "Fuel QTY" like the other graph indicators, Oil PSI GPH, etc. or maybe above and below the graph line. Thanks!
Good Morning,

If you open up the configuration menu on the GDU, and select Engine & Airframe, then select a Fuel Input, there is a selection for Display Options. Change this to Separate and you should be able to display your fuel gauge as described.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Requesting Again...

On the G3X, Add a Arnav/EI Fuel or Shadin Fuel Flow output format in the RS-232 data stream selection. The would enable us to use Fuel Flow/Endurance calculator in the GTN 650, 750.

If I could use the GTN 650 Fuel flow/endurance planning capability, I could keep the 1/3 of the GDU screen available for things like Traffic, Approach Plate, Maps, etc.

Thanks!

B

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:34 PM

Default Roll trim

For us manual trim autopilot guys, we get pitch trim commands on the screen. How about giving us roll trim indicators also??

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 donor and happy to do it.