Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Southeast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post
Pete, I suspect there might be a lot of foreign pilots on this forum who would be very interested in what is entailed in validating a foreign PPL for flight in the USA.

Have you actually done it. How long did it take. Do you have to present in the US for flight testing. Do you have to present in the US for a theory test. Is the validation current for only a limited period. How much does it cost.
All the steps are detailed here: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...-certification

Chris
Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post
Pete, I suspect there might be a lot of foreign pilots on this forum who would be very interested in what is entailed in validating a foreign PPL for flight in the USA.

Have you actually done it. How long did it take. Do you have to present in the US for flight testing. Do you have to present in the US for a theory test. Is the validation current for only a limited period. How much does it cost.
Bob

We're just beginning that process now. We have to send licence, medical and experience information to the FAA and they validate that with the New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority. When satisfied that's in order they issue a letter/certificate of validation to us. We then have to present ourselves to an FAA FISDO with that letter/certificate of validation and they will issue us with either a temporary or permanent FAA licence (I'm not sure which just yet). Then it's a case of demonstrating to a CFI that you have the practical flying skills to complete the licensing process.

If anyone on this forum has questions about the license validation process I'd be pleased to answer them. There's quite a bit of information on the web which explains the process and seems straight-forward to follow.

Cheers
Old 01-15-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
It might be wothwhile giving Van Bortel Aircraft a call. They sell a lot of Cessnas, are based in Texas, and may have relationships with places that rent aircraft.
Turner

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll follow it up.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM

Hey Peter,
I am going to try and get to OSH this year. It would be fun to meet. Good luck with your quest.

Rocky
Flying N376E
Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Bob

We then have to present ourselves to an FAA FISDO with that letter/certificate of validation and they will issue us with either a temporary or permanent FAA licence (I'm not sure which just yet). Then it's a case of demonstrating to a CFI that you have the practical flying skills to complete the licensing process.

If anyone on this forum has questions about the license validation process I'd be pleased to answer them. There's quite a bit of information on the web which explains the process and seems straight-forward to follow.

Cheers
I just went trough the whole process.

The last part has changed:
we you receive the letter to issue the validation, the final issuance is not done by the FSDO anymore. It is now done by a Designated Flight Examiner. You still have to contact the FDO listed in the FAA letter because you need a list of available DFE' s.

The DFE will do the so-called " Review". This is only administrative business.
The DFE will check authenticity of your documents, check your English language performance and update your details in the FAA airmen Portal.
Make sure you have already registered.

The DFE will issue a paper version of your validation. After 3 months you will receive a shiny plastic version at your home address.
The DFE will charge between 200-300 USD (They are unpaid FAA workers and need to make their own money)
From the moment you have your paper version you are good to go. You will need a checkout at the rental facility.

I went trough all this, just to find-out that my validation from 1984 was still valid. Initially it didn't, but later it popped-up in my FAA Airmen Register

Note: you will only get a PPL validation with the ratings stated in your foreign license. Your validation is valid as long as your Original is valid. You need both of them when flying in the USA.

Sorry, not DFE but DPE: Designated Pilot Examiner
Chairman NVAV (EAA chapter 664 - Dutch experimental aircrafts builders)
Member EAA
Member AOPA

Last edited by JoopSJ : 01-16-2018 at 05:20 AM. Reason: See above
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Hey Peter,
I am going to try and get to OSH this year. It would be fun to meet. Good luck with your quest.

Rocky
Rocky

Yes it would be good to meet after our earlier e-mail and forum exchanges. The carb heat flap you made me has been installed and is doing a great job thanks. Keep in touch.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoopSJ View Post
I just went trough the whole process ...
JoopSJ

Thanks for the additional information. I wasn't aware of the change to include a DPE in the last part of the process but will watch for that now. Appreciate your advice.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:51 AM

You ?r welcome Peter,

Just to complete:
This is the FAA website where you need to register. It was done for me ahead of time by the CFI that did my rental check-out. The DPE needs this to issue your license.

https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx

Cheers, Joop
Chairman NVAV (EAA chapter 664 - Dutch experimental aircrafts builders)
Member EAA
Member AOPA
Old 01-18-2018, 04:33 AM

Peter, hope to see at osh this year. Fellow kiwi Born and raised just north of Auckland but have been living in the states since 91. New Orleans is great, my wife loves the churches and museums, we go down there a couple of times a year. We are 2 to 3 hours south east of memphis in central Alabama, KPLR, will ask around about a 182 for u if we?re not to far out of the way. Will check with a mate of mine who flys for small charter company , see what info I can get u. You?ll love the southeast, great people, be ready for hot coming from Nz winter. Good luck with the planning . Pete
Old 01-22-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi flyer View Post
We are 2 to 3 hours south east of memphis in central Alabama, KPLR, will ask around about a 182 for u if we?re not to far out of the way. Will check with a mate of mine who flys for small charter company , see what info I can get u. You?ll love the southeast, great people, be ready for hot coming from Nz winter. Good luck with the planning . Pete
Pete

I?d be grateful if you would ask your charter mate and others around KPLR if they know of a C182 for rent. We have located one aircraft that?s available but it?s quite a way from our planned route. The St Clair area is a bit closer as we wanted to stick around the Houston, New Orleans, Memphis area. Thanks for your help.