What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight: Mike Starkey RV-10 (N210LM)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
My cell phone rang about 10 min. ago, it was Mike calling from Calif. to tell me that he just did the first flight in his RV-10. Pictures and possible video to follow.

Congratulations Mike!!!

(Edit---photo and video links on next page)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Mike

Congrats Mike, I met you and your family at the first two Reno BBQs. Let the flying begin!

Last edited:
Thanks everybody!!

Congrats Mike but I think you should have stayed closer to your area.
:)

Yes, Rancho Murieta to Lincoln.

Calif.

I edited the OP to fix it.;)

Thanks to all who have wished me well in the past, and congratulated me now.

Photos as soon as I can get them up, and video if I can figure out how to post it.

All went fine, no squawks other than the tach reading apx 1/2 RPM.

Many thanks to Randy Thorne, and Steve Barnard, for all the help building and encouragement/motivation during the building process, and of course most importantly, thanks to my wonderful wife Laura, for all the support and patience she provided. Love U my dear.

Thanks to Doug, and VAF for everything I have learned here, and the friends I have made here. Could not have gotten this far without it.

Last edited:
PROOF.

DSC06035.jpg

More at this link.

Video still a big???

Well done Mike, and Laura!

Really glad to see it in the air, without jacks under it! Have to thank Steve for motivating you by getting his plane out of your hanger! LOL!
Lets do lunch, name the day.

Randy:):p

Congrats, let the adventures begin!! The end of construction creates a great new beginning. It will take you to so many wonderful places.

1st flt Starkeys -10

Congrats Mike!
Nice work & well done sir :D
hope the rest of your phase 1 & 2 goes smooth for you.
I'll have to flight in and check out your -10 at rancho, i'm looking into building a 4 seater myself.
all the best
Lee

Woo Hoo! Congrats to you and Laura! Next year you get to fly to Reno and the R3! :D Looking forward to some burger rendezvous!!

Cheers,
Bob

OSHKOSH

Mike, congratulations, ,, good timing! you will be able to make Oshkosh in your new plane.

Way To Go, Mike!

Hey Mike...Greetings from Kazakhstan! As one of the most local VAF'ers and probably the most far away right now, a hearty congratulations on the first flight!
Hope to see you around the local haunts in the near future.

Way to go Mike,

Hey Mike,

Your accomplishment inspires me.

Hopefully I can follow you on Tuesday -- a year or so from now!

Last edited:
Congratulations Mike! Fingers crossed for the weather gods to co-operate when you want to do your flying:D

BTW, what's your test area?

Jeremy Constant 7A, down for first annual at Livermore

BTW, what's your test area?

Dont have the paperwork in front of me, but as I recall, a 50 mile circle around Lincoln airport plus a corridor up the valley to Redding----stay away from Sacto international, and Beal AFB, otherwise basically the width of the valley.

This is a really large area, and a ton of airports will be under me (O.K., gliding distance really) for most of the time the plane is in the air.

I drew up the planned area on an old WAC chart, and the FAA inspector approved it based on the argument of safety, and aircraft speed range.

Congratulations Mike & Laura

Thanks for the motivation. Now you can start planning those family trips. Stop in if your in the area.

Dont have the paperwork in front of me, but as I recall, a 50 mile circle around Lincoln airport plus a corridor up the valley to Redding----stay away from Sacto international, and Beal AFB, otherwise basically the width of the valley.

This is a really large area, and a ton of airports will be under me (O.K., gliding distance really) for most of the time the plane is in the air.

I drew up the planned area on an old WAC chart, and the FAA inspector approved it based on the argument of safety, and aircraft speed range.

Congrats Mike! It is really wonderful to hear you have your first flight done, keep it safe and get the rest of the test flight program as everything allows. Again, good job for accomplishing a tremendous undertaking

:D

Congratulations, Mike!

This may be a long shot, but if KDWA is inside your Phase 1 area, c'mon by. I'll gladly pick you up and buy you lunch at Plainfield Station.

Congratulations, Mike!

This may be a long shot, but if KDWA is inside your Phase 1 area, c'mon by. I'll gladly pick you up and buy you lunch at Plainfield Station.

Lars, sorry it is not in the area--------too bad, because I do have fond memories of eating at Plainfield Station, when I used to fly out of the old R/C field on the north end of Pole Line Rd---(road 104??)

How about after phase 1? ;)

Back