What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inverted fuel system

RJLEWISII

I'm just beginning my quest to buy an RV8 and I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I pull the trigger. Are all of the 8's built with an inverted fuel system or was it an option? If not, how can I tell if it has it or not.
Thanks for your help!

No...

I'm just beginning my quest to buy an RV8 and I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I pull the trigger. Are all of the 8's built with an inverted fuel system or was it an option? If not, how can I tell if it has it or not.
Thanks for your help!

A flop tube is an option. Pull off the lower section of the wing to fuse transition fairing, ( aluminum skin curves around leading edge), (left wing is typical location) and see where the fuel line fitting comes out of the wing tank. Forward is a flop tube, more mid tank is fixed pick up.

Or ask the builder/owner...

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce. The seller, who is not the builder does not know. I'm trying to have him find the builder's contact info.

If I remove the fairing on both wings, it should be obvious the difference indicating it has been installed, correct?

Thanks again,
Rob

Rob,

The wing attaches to the fuselage in 3 places. If the fuel line comes out of the tank between the main spar and the forward attach (tip of the tank) it is non-inverted. If the fuel line comes out in front of the forward most attach point it has inverted fuel. As someone said earlier, you can remove the lower section of the aluminum strip (fairring) and look in from the bottom. That is by far easier than removing the entire fairing from the top.

Thanks Bruce. The seller, who is not the builder does not know. I'm trying to have him find the builder's contact info.

If I remove the fairing on both wings, it should be obvious the difference indicating it has been installed, correct?

Thanks again,
Rob

Yes, you should look at both wings and compare, with the descriptions on this thread it should be easy. I have the flop rube on my left tank.
If you are having a pre-buy inspection done, pay for a RV builder/AP experienced ..ask or search the forum. There must be lots of questions you would have before buying...

Thanks for all of the info. That will be easy to verify.

Regarding a pre purchase, I have an excellent A&P/IA but I agree, someone we'll versed in the RV's should give it the once over for sure.

Back