What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

16gb 32gb or 64gb?

DiscoverThruCruisin'

Well Known Member
Patron
How many gb do you normally use for your aviation apps? I'm branching out to an iPhone and wondering which gb to get. Thanks in advance.

I have the 32 and can't seem to fill up 1/4 of it...:eek:

But as my Dad always says: "Bring a big gun to a knife fight everytime"

Not less than 32bg.

If you get curious and download all of the charts for the USA then you need the 32gb. There is a period leading it to chart expiration when you have two sets of everything. When is happens, I often fall below the 50% mark. Which means 16gb would run out.

I Agree With Humpty

I have the 32 Gig and am using about 1/3. But, like Humpty says you need some room for updates. Also as you get to know the phone your going to be putting other apps on there. I've got a 2 gig GPS that works with no wifi or 3g signal. The entire US is loaded on the phone. It works really well. I've got a few other apps, it is easy to start filling them up. How about music?

My 32GB iPhone 4 has never been over about 75% full, and that's with pretty heavy loading with Apps, Music, and US Charts (which are only sort of useful up here north of the 49th).

I sprang for the 64gb, talk about way over the top overkill. I will never get half of it used.

I have the 32 Gb. I had 3 Aviation Chart apps with the entire country and filled up the memory when all three tried to up everything without deleting the old version first. I will not do that again.

As others have said, if you are going to use ONE and only ONE Aviation chart App, you will be ok.
The 32 Gb is better. It can hold several different Aviation chart Apps and only if you miss manage it poorly, you will have all the space you need.
The 64 Gb is best. The 32 does everything I need but the 64 would allow for more growth.

I only got the 32 Gb because I will want a newer larger one when one of the newer versions get released. I did not know what it could do when I purchased it. Plan was to only use it for charts but to experiment with it as a laptop replacement. It is good for the aviation charts but great as a laptop replacement. Use in for more things that I thought I would when I purchased it.

Thank you!

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate your time. I believe I will try to spring for the 32mb, just might have to wait a little longer ;)

Rebecca

Foreflight and WingX and Skycharts

On my phone --16GB and I am using a total of 6.5GB and I have a good bit of other apps, also.

I bought the big one the first time, but even with multiple apps (with lots of downloaded/offline data), movies, music, emails, pdf manuals, picture, etc... I never came close to using it, so when I got the Ipad2 I went with the 32 and that has seemed about perfect for now!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

When it comes to memory or any storage for a computing device my advice is buy as much as you can afford.

Depends on what you want to do with it besides aviation stuff. I put the entire US, and Canada Jeppesen enroute, departure, arrival, and approach data base on iPads for work and that takes up less than 1 gig. Not sure about Foreflight or any of the others, but they're probably about the same. If you're going to do lots of pictures and videos, you'll need more than you will for your aviation charting.

Back