What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Accident

Cut from News Article:
"MARIETTA, Ohio - Two people were airlifted to The Ohio State University Medical Center in Columbus after their homemade plane crashed on Tuesday night.

The plane crashed shortly after 7 p.m. about 200 yards from state Route 7, 10TV's Shayla Reaves reported.

Police said that the pilot was Nicholas Austin, 24, of Frederiskburg, Texas and the co-pilot was Richard Gray, 54, of Vincent, Ohio.

Officials said their RV-10 aircraft had just taken off from the Wood County Airport in West Virginia for a test flight when it crashed.

The two men were being treated for serious injuries.

Stay with 10TV News and 10TV.com for more information."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
From Second link:
Plane down; no fatalities
‘It just seemed to spin and then dropped’

Two people were reportedly injured but able to walk away from a small plane crash near the Eramet Marietta facility along Ohio 7 south of Marietta Tuesday evening.

The accident occurred around 7 p.m. in a wooded area of Eramet property located across from the plant, between the highway and the Ohio River, according to Eramet spokeswoman Joy Frank-Collins. Spectators and media at the scene were asked to leave the Eramet-owned property shortly after the crash.

"From what we know it appears the plane landed in a brushy area surrounded by trees on property that's not in current use," Frank-Collins said. "It also appears there were no fatalities, for which we are grateful."

Witnesses at the scene said a pilot and passenger were able to get out of the wreckage before rescue units arrived.

Several youths from Williamstown, were driving north along Ohio 7 from Belpre when they saw the plane fall from the sky.

"It just seemed to spin and then dropped," said Zack Zide, of Williamstown. "Then we saw the smoke and turned around."

He said the pilot and a passenger were out of the plane when they got there but both had suffered burns.

Nick Gibson and Zach Bowes, both of Warren Township, were deer hunting near the crash site when the plane went down.

"We heard a loud boom-it was almost thunderous and shook the woods," Gibson said. "We looked up and saw a little black trail of smoke and the plane was swerving, then we lost sight of it."

"In about two seconds we heard a loud thud when it landed," Bowes added.

They immediately called 911 and reported the crash.

The pilot and passenger, whose names were not available at press time, were transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital.

Troopers from the Ohio Highway Patrol's Marietta Post are investigating the incident. Deputies from the Washington County Sheriff's Office also responded. Information on where the plane was headed or what caused the crash was not yet available late Tuesday.

Frank-Collins said first responders to the crash came from the Eramet facility, followed shortly by fire and rescue units from the Warren Township Volunteer Fire Department.

"We have plans in place for just this type of situation,and those plans have worked as we mapped them," she said.
-------------------------------------
Plane that crashed ran into trouble shortly after takeoff
September 29, 2011
A Vincent man who has won several awards for plane-building was listed as the co-pilot of a small homemade single-engine RV 10 airplane that crashed in a brushy area along Ohio 7 near the Eramet Marietta plant Tuesday evening.

According to a report from the Ohio State Highway Patrol's Marietta post, Richard Gray, 55, was co-piloting the aircraft for pilot Nicholas Austin of Old Fredericksburg, Texas.

Gray runs Ohio Valley RVators Builder Assistance at the Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport, a finishing business for the homemade RV planes.

"His quality of work is off the page and he's well-known by RV builders across the country," said Terry Moore, manager at the Mid-Ohio Valley Airport.

Moore said both Gray and Austin were experienced pilots.

They had apparently flown the RV 10 more than once on Tuesday.

"Our logs show we fueled the plane twice yesterday," Moore said on Wednesday.

He said airport personnel reported the plane was in the air for only a few minutes before the pilot called in on the radio.

Investigators reported the plane took off from the Mid Ohio Valley Regional Airport at approximately 6:55 p.m. and crashed at 7:12 p.m.

"He told the tower that he had some problems and then said he didn't think they would be able to make it back to the airfield," Moore said, adding that the control tower called 911 right away.

"I'm sure the pilot had to make some quick decisions on where to land the plane," he said.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol reported the plane caught fire during the crash and both men received serious burns. They were reportedly transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital and later flown by Life Flight to The Ohio State University Medical Center in Columbus.

An OSU Medical Center spokesperson said Wednesday afternoon that Austin was listed in fair condition but Gray's condition is not known as he was not logged as a patient in the hospital system.

After the crash Austin told police he had heard a noise and then lost control during the flight. Witnesses reported hearing a loud boom and seeing a wisp of smoke emanating from the plane seconds before it crashed in a brush-covered area about 200 yards from Ohio 7.Police said the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration were notified.

FAA officials were investigating the scene Wednesday.

Fire and rescue units from the Warren Township Volunteer Fire Department and the Washington County Sheriff's Office, as well as an emergency crew from Eramet, also responded.

The crash occurred on a vacant piece of Eramet property between Ohio 7 and the Ohio River.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick Gray is a friend of mine and one of our own here in the RV world.
May God Bless him and Mr Austin in their hour of need and hope they make a full recovery.

Last edited:
I was thinking that might have been Rick. Our prayers go out to them for a speedy recovery...

I just talked to Rick yesterday, right before this happened apparently.

He was just finishing up the testing of a new 10 that was going to be picked up and flown to Texas for paint, then on to South America (IIRC) to its new owner.

Prayers going out for them.

Condition Update?

Prayers for a full and speedy recovery go out for both Rick and Nicholas.

Does anyone have an update as to their conditions?

Stunning and sicken news.

Rick Gray is a "one of a kind" RV builder and an all around great guy to know.

Post when you can Rick! Here is to a speedy recovery!

Here is a link to his web site.
http://rv6rick.tripod.com/ohiovalleyrvators/id22.html

I did an interview with Rick a few years ago that I think really think reflected his enthusiasm and expertise. I've never met him in person and I'm confident I will someday, but, to me, he's one of those RV builders that's just on a different level than most of us.

This is one of those accidents that make me think, "man, if it can happen to him..."

Accident

2 were in the RV-10 Rick Gray from Vincent Ohio and Nicholas Austin of frederisburg Tx. Both ar expected to make a full recovery. They are being treated for burns on the hand and arms.

Wow

Thoughts and prayers out to them and their families. Rick is a true inspiration to many of us builders. I have not seen any planes build that can compete with his level of detail and perfection. And he is the kind of great guy that would always answer newbies dumb questions...great guy.

All the best for a speedy recovery. That news just sucks.:(

Hope for a speedy recovery. Generally the air lifting is done not some much from the severity of the burns but the type of fire. If there is an explosion the airways can get damaged which could leave one with blocked airways. Let's hope they were only minor burns which still suck.

Update

Hope for a speedy recovery. Generally the air lifting is done not some much from the severity of the burns but the type of fire. If there is an explosion the airways can get damaged which could leave one with blocked airways. Let's hope they were only minor burns which still suck.
My wife called the hospital and spoke to Rick's wife.

Nicholas has been released from the hospital, Rick will require more time. She says, "He has burns on both arms going down to his fingers, his lower legs, his face and the back of his head. They're doing skin grafts on his arms today. She said the hospital and staff there are wonderful."

Current contact info:

Richard Gray
OSU Medical Center
Doan Hall
Room 420
410 W. 10th Ave
Columbus, OH 43210

Last edited:
do we know what happened?

was the fire in flight, or from ground contact? I'm sure that we all would like to know, without any speculation, and Long before the NTSB gives us their prospective.
Be safe--
Tom

My wife called the hospital and spoke to Rick's wife.

Nicholas has been released from the hospital, Rick will require more time. She says, "He has burns on both arms going down to his fingers, his lower legs, his face and the back of his head. They're doing skin grafts on his arms today. She said the hospital and staff there are wonderful."

Thanks for the update Dave. Keep us informed.

Hang in there Rick. Tough row to hoe, but we are pulling for you. :D

Glad Nick is out. I hope the burns to Rick aren't too terribly bad. We're pulling for him.

Sounds like the airframe was still relatively young.

Registration Number:N499RV
Certification Issued:2011-08-15

Speedy & Full Recovery for Both

I hope they both have a speedy and full recovery. I had the pleasure of meeting Rick when purchasing his RV-4. Long story short - his is simply a fantastic guy! Truly inspirational in the RV community!

Thoughts & Prayers!

Update on Rick

I just got off the phone with Rick's daughter and they removed the breathing tube on Rick today He is breathing on his own and they have moved him out of ICU to the floor above. She also mentioned they took off his bandages today where the skin grafts were done

She said he was doing better but it is going to be a long road. When talking to Rick's wife Saturday she requested they need a lot of prayers for Rick. We need to pray hard for Rick and his family. Rick and his family are very religious and it is an honor to call Rick a dear friend.

Therefore, keep the prayers going. They are working but it is going to take some time.

Respectfully,
Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Hey Rick... we are Praying for you and your family. Now, let US know what we can do to help Bud!!!! :) You are THE MAN!

Rick Gray

As a owner of one of Rick's creations, RV-6, I can attest to his craftsmanship and also his character. I am praying for a speedy recovery and God's blessings on his entire family. Keep going as you have a lot to live for. Harold Johnson

Are there any facts (not speculation/opinion!) available yet regarding whether the apparent fire which caused the injuries started in-flight or after impact?

New Update on Rick

I wanted everyone to know that I talked to Rick on the phone last night and he has a long, long road to recovery. He told me when the plane crashed he crawled through two sets of flames to escape the wreckage. He said he could see the edge of the 2nd set of flames and knew he had to keep crawling even though he was being burned up. He said he had to make it for his family.

He told me they removed 500 staples yesterday from his skin grafts. This is not a typo! 500 staples. I cannot imagine. However, today is the big day because they are doing more skin grafts on him today. They are removing skin from the back of his legs. The doctors have told him the pain will feel as if he is in an inferno. They have warned him that it will be like crawling through the flames again but worse. Rick said he trying to prepare himself mentally for this but it is going to be difficult. He asked that Traci and I and everyone else please, please pray for him to get through this surgery. He said they will put 500 more staples in him after this.

I broke down last night on the phone talking to him because he could barely talk to me. It was so good to hear his voice because he is my best friend. My wife and I were flying our RV7 over there this weekend to see him but this is not appropriate. We want his family to have their privacy.

I told Rick last night to fight and fight to get stronger and stronger everyday. I told him to never and I mean never give up!

Rick needs our prayers. It is going be a long, long road but the Lord will see him through this. Rick, I Love You Buddy and Keep Fighting and Traci and I will see you soon!

Respectfully,
Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT

I'm sure everyone is sending their best wishes, good thoughts, and prayers towards Rick and his family. We look forward to a complete and speedy recovery with the strength to endure the hard road and pain ahead.

Darren, thanks for the update. I can feel the pain in your post, let alone what Rick is going through. Keep us informed and let Rick know we are pulling for him. You hang in there also.

Maybe getting notes, cards, and letters from his "flying family" would help him. I would like to suggest you get permission to post an addresses so everyone could send him a message. Prayers work too, but reading a personal message will give him strength and comfort also.

Last edited:
Update on Rick

Larry,
Rick's wife requested everything be sent to their home address. She said she could take it to the hospital and give it to him. I believe this is the best way to do it out of respect for Rick and his family.

Larry, I agree totally with everything you said about the support from his "flying family". Great idea Larry!

Here is his address:

Rick Gray
200 Baker Trail
Vincent, OH 45784

Respectfully,
Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Larry,
Rick's wife requested everything be sent to their home address. She said she could take it to the hospital and give it to him. I believe this is the best way to do it out of respect for Rick and his family.

Larry, I agree totally with everything you said about the support from his "flying family". Great idea Larry!

Here is his address:

Rick Gray
200 Baker Trail
Vincent, OH 45784

Respectfully,
Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Thanks! I sent Rick a letter earlier this week to his home address. I would like to suggest everyone reading this take the time to got down a note, a letter, send a card, a postcard, anything. Rick is a HUGE supporter of Vans Aircraft and has built some of the best examples on the planet. Please take the time, right now to send him a card or a letter. He is not out of the woods yet and he needs to know we are pulling for him.

Please send him a card.

Thanks.

Last edited:
thanks

Larry,

Here is his address:

Rick Gray
200 Baker Trail
Vincent, OH 45784

Respectfully,
Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT
Thanks Darren, This is great info and just what myself and lots of folks here had been waiting for........some way to connect with Rick and offer support, but given the circumstances with the hospital etc, weren't sure what to do. So thanks for any updates you pass along to the rest of out here praying for Rick and his family and wishing we could do more for him.

Rick, if your reading this, hang in there buddy, you have been an inspiration to all of us with your building tips and encouragements to build it better. I've improved my RV based on ideas you did first. Please know there are lots of us out here praying for the easing of your pain and sending you the strength to endure it. May God Bless you and your family!!
Highest Regards, Bob .......of the Louisa Gang.

I don't think people are eager to speculate and are instead focusing on Rick's recovery

I don't want to speculate. But I want to know the cause. It's why I read the NTSB reports all the time. It's just the way I am. I want to know what caused an accident, and how that information can be used to possibly prevent a similar situation. At the same time, I wish Rick well also.

L.Adamson

I don't want to speculate. But I want to know the cause. It's why I read the NTSB reports all the time. It's just the way I am. I want to know what caused an accident, and how that information can be used to possibly prevent a similar situation. At the same time, I wish Rick well also.

Exactly. I was looking for first hand info. We had a fire destroy an RV-10 on the ground. Unknown reason.

We recently had an in-flight fire of an RV-10 that may have been due to an installation problem of the fuel system.

Now we have another RV-10 apparently destroyed (per NTSB report) and one pilot with serious burns. Causal factor is unknown to the RV community which is reacting both to the injury to Rick and to the aftermath of a specific crash which does have another pilot who may have insight into the problem.

Asking if he has useful info is not speculation and does not detract from wishing Rick a speedy and compete recovery.

L.Adamson

We'll know the cause in due time, at this point we just need to be patient and allow Rick time to recover.

Here is his address:

Rick Gray
200 Baker Trail
Vincent, OH 45784
Just a bump to keep this information out front.
Rick needs our prayers...........

We all want to know what happened, for safety sake and future flyers. I know the "pilot" was there and should be able to give good first hand info on exactly what happened if, it is possible to know. So, where do we go to find the "preliminary" NTSB report ?? and how long does it normally take.

Prayers.........May the Lord bless the Gray family in their hour of need and bring Rick his powerful healing hands to help him along this painful road to recovery. Lord, Rick has been a blessing to our RV community and now we ask you to help us return his unselfish giving to us by hearing our prayers and touching the doctors and nurses and care givers and family to make Ricks recovery as good as can be. Amen.

Prayers.........May the Lord bless the Gray family in their hour of need and bring Rick his powerful healing hands to help him along this painful road to recovery. Lord, Rick has been a blessing to our RV community and now we ask you to help us return his unselfish giving to us by hearing our prayers and touching the doctors and nurses and care givers and family to make Ricks recovery as good as can be. Amen.

...Amen...

Accident

My family and I do not know the Gray family but our prayers are with them.

Bob, thanks for posting such a wonderful prayer.

prayer

What a wonderful prayer for such a deserving man. It is so refreshing to have someone post a prayer recognizing The Almighty Lord in such a forthright way. Wonderful.

Back