What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airpark Estates

Paul Walter

Hello to the group. I am constanly reading of the lovely airparks you have in the US, the communities, the $100 hamburger weekend day flights, RV group builders etc and it all sounds fantastic to me.

I am looking at investeng in a lot or buying a smaller house or even a hangar with apartment to escape our winter and spend July and August in the US each year.

Location to be determined (and net that important)but Like the look of Indepence air park which I believe is nearly full.

Do the group know of any new realestate airpark developments that I can investigate.

Are there places that you can lease land from local councils like we do here in Australia and still build a hangar home ?.

thank you

Paul

Options in Oregon, SW Washington

Hi Paul,

As you may have seen from my other recent post, my wife and I have been looking at airpark homes around Portland, Oregon. Here are some options currently on the market for you:

Sportsman Airpark, Newberg, OR (2S6): recently developed an area on the NW corner of the property with some cookie cutter houses on relatively small lots. For what you are looking for, it could be one of the best value options. Also, there are even smaller, closer together properties just across the little creek with nice paved paths to the airport.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/451-S-Airpark-Way-R1-Newberg-OR-97132/98849016_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

Skydive Oregon, Mollala, OR (OL05): at least one Van's employee lives there. Active skydiving operation in addition to the homes. There was a home listed recently, but it may now be off the market. Here's one that sold a year ago.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31765-S-Kyllo-Rd-Molalla-OR-97038/48290181_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

Dietz Airpark, Oregon City, OR (OR40): Rob Hickman from Advanced Avionics lives there and has hosted our EAA chapter Christmas party. Unfortunately I've only seen it after dark, but it looks nice from the air (grass strip).
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24368-S-Skylane-Dr-Canby-OR-97013/48284431_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

Sunset Airpark (1OR3) and Olinger Airpark (OR81), Hillsboro, OR: Van himself lives at Sunset, and the company used to be based there. I think one of his brothers lives at Olinger. No homes currently on the market, but here's one that sold recently.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/32905-NW-Beach-Rd-Hillsboro-OR-97124/80934315_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}
There is some adjacent land for sale, but I'm not sure whether there could be deeded access to the airstrip or not.

Parkside Airpark (WA87), Battleground, WA: as far as setting, this is the most spectacular. It was a Christmas tree farm before being converted to an airpark about 30 years ago, so the trees are amazing. 28 homes, a few of which are for sale at the moment. Examples:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/26516-NE-Lewisville-Hwy-Battle-Ground-WA-98604/23326450_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11517-NE-269th-St-Battle-Ground-WA-98604/23302112_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11608-NE-266th-St-Battle-Ground-WA-98604/23326506_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

There are several other airparks around the area, but that should give you a taste. Feel free contact me with any questions.

Thank Bill, I am in building or "construction" here so even though the logistcs will be a challenge this is the way I would probaly go. As I would be there 2 or at most 3 months a year I would require a small lot only and would prefer a 2 bed appartment attached to a hangar. I understand codes or covenenants may not allow this at some airparks. I like corner lots as well.

Paul

For a more remote location, there are lots available here: Cabin Creek Landing

They allow hangars with living quarters attached as long as they are a certain size. Also I think lot 22 is for sale for a good discount before the guy losses it.

runway.jpg

Lots

The crazy thing is that the first time I looked at the lots at Sportsman back in 2007, they were selling lots for $330K! I looked at one, started sketching out ideas for a house, but never made a move. Then the market tanked! Now the remaining spec house is selling for $199K. Glad I didn't buy a lot.

With the exception of a couple of lots at Independence, most of the airparks around seem to be have developed in the 70's or 80's, so there aren't many empty lots.

Good luck finding the right spot!

-- bill

Yes, I see more in the southern states, Texas etc. lots of lots for sale but I think it may be harder to find in the North west. Im just begining to look so it is a bit of a learning curve. As is said initially location isnt my total concern.
I dont want to be locoated in to remote an area and would like to be on a field with other Rv owners.
As its my "holiday house", for me it dosent need to be a mansion thats for sure.

Paul

Google "Airpark Homes" and you'll get a number of hit for US airpark home guides - we used the 'net extensively when we were shopping for an airpark home. It's a good place to startlooking for what is available.

Down in Georgia

If you would be interested in the state of Georgia..... Mallards Landing is a great place. GA04, just south of Atlanta, GA
Several homes/hangers for sale at the moment. Also, there are plenty of lots available through the developer or individuals. I've owned the property since 1997 and lived here since 2007.

http://youtu.be/7kC5Bp4veHQ

This link should show you a little of the airpark.

Have fun looking around!

Rebecca

Dayton Valley Airpark has a foreclosure lot listed at $55k

Just checked and this lot is now offered at $49k and another is up for $39.9k.

In 2005, the lot sole for over $182K and they were asking over $350k until recently. But, there's a 2000 sq ft minimum on the house and the hangar has to be built on the same permit. In theory, they are also selling hanger-condos on the south side of the runway but I'm not holding my breathe for that to happen any time soon. Dayton is a 35 minute drive from Lake Tahoe and Heavenly Valley ski area, 45 minutes from Reno. I can't imagine beating the location (not to mention the future neighbors ;) ) and now seems like the time to buy.

PM Ironflight or me if you want more information.

Last edited:
Paul;

If you are only going to be in th USA in July and Aug and at no time doing the rest of the year, then you need to rethink location as it is very important.
Atlanta was 90+ degrees all summer and Dallas was 10 deg hotter! If you are only going to be in the US in July and Aug then you need to look North!

John Morgan

So far, Paul has only expressed interest in Oregon, Northern California, and northern Nevada, so I think he understands the weather issues. Of course, Montana should also meet his stated needs.

I have worked in the US for 8 months back in 94, however being a lot younger the heat didnt seem to bother me.

What is the best state for the summer and which months coincide best for planned trips arround the US.
No point having a hangar home if you cant fly.

Paul

I have worked in the US for 8 months back in 94, however being a lot younger the heat didn't seem to bother me.

What is the best state for the summer and which months coincide best for planned trips around the US.

Paul, I think Louise found you an ideal central location for a good VFR travel starting point. The weather there is great from March to late October.

In four easy RV hours you can fly to any place in California, Nevada, Utah, and Oregon. 90% of Idaho, 75% of Washington and Arizona and 35% of Wyoming.

You would be 1 hour from the pacific ocean, 3 hours to Mexico and 4.2 hours to Canada. And all of this area is amazing from the air. Might be hard to beat.

Heavens Landing in the North GA mountins is great in the summer and 10 deg cooler than Atlanta. The place is first class. Check out the web site and give Mike a call. Tell him I sent you.

What is the best state for the summer and which months coincide best for planned trips arround the US.

Paul

As a broad, general statement, our Fall (September and October) are the most reliable months for flying throughout the country. Winter has its obvious challenges. Spring tends to have big winds in much of the country and, at least much of the West, is the rainiest season (albeit, the West generally doesn't have a lot of rain). Summer is terribly hot from Arizona east to the the East Coast, up along the East Coast to about upstate New York, and back west to the Rocky Mountains. Add high humidity to almost everywhere east of the 100th Meridian.

If our summer is your target time and you want to be in an area with sub-30oC daytime temperatures most of the time, I'd stick with the West Coast (northern California, Oregon, Washington) upper West (northern Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, northern Utah, Colorado), upper Midwest (like Minnesota, Wisconsin), and New England. Montana, the upper Midwest, and New England have a lot more rain in the summer than the rest of the West, in general.

Yes, there are beautiful airparks in the mountains of the southeast (particularly the Carolinas and Georgia), but they still get hot with very high humidity and everywhere close you might want to fly out to will be very hot (and humid). Be aware that "mountains" in the eastern part of our country do not seem very much like mountains in the West. They are much lower, generally much less rugged/alpine, and much greener in the East. Also, the cultures of each of these regions are very different, so that might influence your decision.

Quick flying access to points of interest depends on your interests. Of course, the West Coast offer an incredible diversity of terrains and amusements. If you want diversity, I don't think you can beat the West Coast. But, other parts of the country have their strengths and might fit your particular interests better.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I think the idea of a condo/hangar is apealing, probably all I requre is half acre or so.

Paul

Back