What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replace carb

ksauce

Well Known Member
Patron
In my attempt to fix an ongoing fueling issue, I have arrived at the point of replacing the carburetor on my O-320-E3D. It's an MA-4 SPA with vans standard fab. I've already ordered an overhauled carb and it includes the gasket. Is there anything else I need? Also, what's the procedure? I found a copy of the service manual but didn't see anything about actually installing it. Will it require any adjustment? It looks very straightforward, but so many times I read about people attempting simple procedures only to have them go horribly awry. I'm not above having an a&p do the work, but I would love to try it if it's doable for a ham-handed numnum like me.

Last edited:
replacing carb

I recently reinstalled my carb and had a fuel leak at the inlet fitting, even with a new copper washer and proper torquing. An A&P told me that is a notorous area for leakage with a Marvel Dribbler. Before putting your cowling back on, leave your electric fuel pump on for some time and check for a leak.

so what's the secret?

to keeping the carb inlet screen fitting from leaking?

I just did the end-of-annual test run this morning, cowl off, to check for leaks and derned if I didn't have a nice puddle of fuel on top of the FAB. Checked with nothing but the boost pump running and it was coming from the carb inlet fitting.

The mechanic and I just put in a new washer for the first time in some years, and he tightened it to his satisfaction. After I found the leak I tightened it a bit more but it still leaks.

I'll interface with the mechanic Monday am but thought I'd ask what others have done 'cause this one leak I haven't had before now.

thanks,

Back