What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery?

PeteP

Well Known Member
What is the best battery to use on my RV-9. I see some use a PC-680 but other are also in use. I would like a little more capacity that I feel the PC-680 offers but there are so many batteries to choose from. What results have you seen with your battery model?

Lets try another way...... What is the most popular battery in use for a typical day/night VFR RV9 family cruiser with the typical EFIS system and lighting loads? Not a heavy breathing IFR or airborne power black hole!

Pete

Last edited:
Pete,

Your question is too nebulous to answer in a meaningful way. What do you mean by "best" and "results"? When it comes to required battery capacity, it depends on your electrical system architecture, minimum essential loads, keep-alive time, etc. Rather than "feel", you need to approach the problem quantitatively. Work through the numbers and figure out how much battery capacity you actually need.

-Roee

I think

Pete's asking for people's experiences with other batteries. Sounds like he has some idea of system demand since he's looking for more capacity than the 680.

I would guess that there are a handful of favorites out there that people are using. I'm interested in learning what they are and what the options are as well.

Tom

Continue refining the problem statement

... Sounds like he has some idea of system demand since he's looking for more capacity than the 680. ...

Cool. So how much more capacity? Show me the numbers! :D

Point I'm trying to make is that one measure of "best", as in "optimal", is to have the reserve you need (calculated and de-rated as you see fit), no more no less. With that optimum capacity determined, less capacity is insufficient by definition, and more capacity is just heavier than it needs to be.

Lets try another way...... What is the most popular battery in use for a typical day/night VFR RV9 family cruiser with the typical EFIS system and lighting loads? Not a heavy breathing IFR or airborne power black hole!

For what you're describing, the PC-680 is usually a great choice, and is probably by far the most popular (also partly because that's what Van's prescribes). It's a workhorse, tough, compact, and its capacity is typically sufficient for that type of airplane / mission. But yes, there are other options out there, and I'm sure others will chime in with their personal experiences.

We have the PC680

it works fine in the 7a with 180 hp O-360 but we have a pmag so the engine always starts immediately and I live in moderate NC. I have been looking at some of the Lithium iron designs because even the little PC680 weights over 15 lbs.

Check out the aerovoltz or the Ballistic brands (same battery) and Shorai also makes some. Much lighter technology but you must not leave a switch on and run them all the way down, they may not come back if you do.

There are some good posts in the forums by members who are starting to use this technology.

PC-625 in a -9A

I've been using an Odessy PC-625 for 6 1/2 years in a -9A and it works fine. The PC-625 is a pound lighter than a PC-680, has almost identical specs, but it does not fit correctly in Vans battery holder. However, a pound saved on the nose is not significant if you are using a Catto prop anyway. I did install a primer system for those very cold mornings.
Leland

Back