What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel flows for 0-320 -9a anyone?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
did a search, but not a lot of numbers out there.
does anyone have some real fuel flow numbers I could use for flight planning?
I'm trying Q-Routing, and android app, and want to be able to punch in the climb, cruise, and descent fuel flows for my carbed, FP 0-320.
( typical cruise at 8 -9,000 asl.)
........appreciate anyone with one of those fancy fuel-a-roonie EFIS gadgets that might have the numbers,
thanks!

did a search, but not a lot of numbers out there.
does anyone have some real fuel flow numbers I could use for flight planning?
I'm trying Q-Routing, and android app, and want to be able to punch in the climb, cruise, and descent fuel flows for my carbed, FP 0-320.
( typical cruise at 8 -9,000 asl.)
........appreciate anyone with one of those fancy fuel-a-roonie EFIS gadgets that might have the numbers,
thanks!

7A numbers here... cruise 65% power O-320 NOT Stock by any means is 6.7 GPH. I flight plan @ 8 GPH and have never had an issue for cruise mode @ 8500.

I can't help with -9 but my O320 150hp -8 at 9000 is 8gph or a tad less and at least 155kts. So, those are what I plan with. It may be possible to take date from other -8 and -9 and extrapolate.

I calculate 7 per hour. Could make it from NY to the Bahamas with one stop for fuel (made more :)).

fuel for climb & descent???/

I don't think I'm far off 7 gph on average, so that works.

But I think it's gonna show when i do a :40 min flight that is :10 climb, :25 cruise, :05 descent, and then do a x-country that is :15 climb, 2:00 cruise, and :10 descent.
What is fuel flow at WOT?.....or 1500 rpm - 2000 rpm descent?

just curious.

tanks guys!

I don't think I'm far off 7 gph on average, so that works.

But I think it's gonna show when i do a :40 min flight that is :10 climb, :25 cruise, :05 descent, and then do a x-country that is :15 climb, 2:00 cruise, and :10 descent.
What is fuel flow at WOT?.....or 1500 rpm - 2000 rpm descent?

just curious.

tanks guys!

WOT Climb @ 600 AGL Start 15.0 GPH... Decent @ 2200 RPM, 500 FPM 4.8 GPH... hope this helps, all engines are different.

Try to find a copy of the O-320 operating handbook. The engine doesn?t care what plane it is installed in or that it is going significantly faster when installed in an RV, LancAir, etc.

EI? Like LOP?

Hi Flyboy,

Do you have Electronic Ignition? Are you comfortable Lean of Peak?

My -9A runs all day at 8000ft 149-152KTAS at 5.9-6.1 GPH. That is LOP - I do have a CS Prop.

If I gotta run below 6000 ft - I plan for 6.5 GPH at the same speeds.

A cruise pitched FP prob should be similar.

Meet%20Liv_066.JPG

My 160 hp RV-6 averages 8 GPH on X/C's. That's chock to chock. I cruise at ~65% or thereabouts and climb to anywhere between 6,000 and 10,000'. Above that, I can't maintain 65% power, so fuel flow drops.

similar

My fuel flows are similar to Reiley, O-320 D 160 hp, climb 12 -14 gph, cruise 7 - 8 gph, descent 4 -5 gph. Overall I plan at 8 gph and usually burn less.

6pq6f9.jpg

Specific fuel consumption should have it that you would be in the range of 7 - 8 gallons if you're turning 65% power leaned to peak.

For estimating, multiply whatever horsepower you're turning by .0725 to get fuel flow in gallons. (For example 65% for a O-320 at altitude would be 104 hp = 7.5 gph.) Conversely, divide your observed fuel flow by the same factor and it should yield the horsepower.

That could all be out the window if you lean by another method.

YMMV

Dan

Actual numbers

I flew my fixed pitch, carb'd and mag'd o-320 -9A from Ogden UT to Oshkosh WI then on to Vero Beach FL back in 2010.
Most legs were flown at 11,500 msl, 2 legs at 9,500, 1 leg at 7,500.
Total GPS distance was 2098.2 nm
Avg ground speed was 148.4 kts
Total fuel used was 122.32 gals
Total flight time was 14.1 hours
Fuel burn computes to 7.83 gph

My experience is closer to Vlad, Reiley, and a few others. Mine is a little slower. Pete's is much more efficient than mine (we did a comparison a few years back and I had much lower mpg). I have FP O320-D2A with one mag and one lightspeed. Prop is pitched between climb and cruise. I usually see 12.5 gph WOT at sea level takeoff. At 65% cruise I burn around 7 gph, at 60% it is 6.2 gph (specific fuel burn at .39 - this is what on GRT engine display, I forgot the unit). During descend it could burn between 4.5 to 7 depending on the airspeed (not only VS). I flight plan 7 gph since climb and descend kind of cancel out each other. Of course how much you burn depends on how aggressive you are on the mixture knob. How much true airspeed you get is another story (I have to admit that I am slow :().

Last edited:
49clipper

Over the last 215 hrs on my O-320-D1A powered RV-6 (FP), I have used 7.0gph overall. Now I admit, I lean to just a few degrees rich of peak and use economy power settings (60-70%). I typically cruise at 140-145kts IAS at 5000-9000', and burn about 6.5-7.5gph. Sure, I could cruise at 155kts, but why burn the fuel. Incredibly more efficient from anything I owned previously.

Jim
N189EM RV-6

RV-9A Fuel flows

My fuel-burn rate for a 2.9 hour flight from Livermore, California to Wells, Nevada averaged 6.2 gallons/hour (GPH), including a full-throttle climb to 13,500?, cruise and decent. The burn rate at 13,500?, with the mixture leaned to the "edge of roughness", was 6.0 GPH while cruising at 146 knots TAS. (The density altitude was 14,900?.) The cruise burn-rate was measured over a 20 minute period since the instantaneous EIS reading fluctuates. The full-rich, full-throttle TAS at this altitude was 150 knots (2460 RPM and 18.4" M.P.).

The second leg of the flight from Wells to Kemmerer Wyoming at 11,400? showed a TAS of 156 knots at 2540 RPM and 20.1" M.P, for full-throttle and full-rich conditions (burn rate was estimated at 6.9 GPH). The maximum TAS of this plane near sea level is 162 knots. Its airspeed indicator has been calibrated to 1-2 knots. Subsequent testing shows that leaning to the "edge of roughness" for this plane is zero-to-twenty degrees lean of peak, depending on the cylinder.

This aircraft has one P-Mag and one magneto on an O320D1A (600 hour since new from Van's) with a carburetor. On most trips, I only fly an hour and the average fuel burn is about 6.6 gallons/hour. When I have gone on longer trips in-trail with other RV's, my plane burns a little less than the others.

Leland

great data pool! ...now to use it....

thanks everyone! I have a much better idea now....wouldn't have guessed the fuel flow WOT climb as high as you folks show.
I have no instrumentation other than a single CHT & EGT, so don't lean too agressively, no do I like the noise at 2400, so typically throttle back a little to a happy drone.

Fuel Flows

150 HP fixed pitch 3-blade Catto.

Flight plan 8 gph at 152 Knots. Never miss it by more than a couple gallons chock to chock on cross countries of 3 hours......

Keith
N355RV

Back