What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pulsation Dampener (Damper)

apatti

Well Known Member
Has anyone gotten positive results from installing the pulsation dampener (damper) mentioned in the FloScan documentation? I have the FF sensor installed on the firewall between the gascolator and the mechanical fuel pump. There is at least 8" of straight tubing going into the sensor. the output is a softly curving hose. When I turn on the electric fuel pump I get a 5-7 gph steady state increase in indicated fuel flow.

I searched the archieves and only found the pulsation dampener (damper) mentioned a couple of times. One person said it did not help his situation.

Thanks for any help.

Pulsation dampener

I bought one of the spherical dampeners from Matronics and mounted in on the cockpit side of the firewall, between the electric fuel pump and the gascolator. It seemed to work ok there but I was afraid that a passenger would bump it with his foot and break the fuel line, or whatever. I tried it on top of the gascolator but it had no effect. I understand they stop working if they fill with fuel.
Leland

Thanks for the reply Leland. It is good to know that they stop working if they fill with fuel. That makes sense.

The dampener I am considering is the one described in the FlowScan documentation. They describe a simple "T" (actually inverted "T") right at the input to the sensor. A 1 -2 foot vertical section of fuel line is used to trap the air. It seems that over time the tube would fill with fuel. I guess I could occasionally uncap it and drain fuel out of the gascolator to empty it.

Any others have experience with these?

FF Sensor Location

Is your installation in a fuel injected or carb engine? I've read about this fuel indication problem in a FI engine with the sensor mounted in the location you described. The solution was to reposition the sensor downstream of the mechanical fuel pump but before the distribution spider. I did this in my installation and problem solved with no need for a pulsation damper.

Works just fine

I had a Floscan 201 in my carbed -3. Whenever the boost pump was on the indicated fuel flow went up by about 2 gph. Left on for any length of time, it caused an error in the Dynon fuel remaining displayed. Recently installed a Dynon D-180, fuel lines and red cube in my carbed -4 and decided to give the damper a try. $30 directly from Floscan. With the damper the indicated fuel flow goes up about 1 gph when the pump comes on, but within 5 seconds returns to exactly the same flow as with the pump off. Supplied T is installed in the outlet of the red cube. The ball is SS and about 2" in diameter. With a carbed engine, I doubt the ball will ever fill with fuel. Photo here.

Tony

Last edited:
Back