What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Clown Car arrives at it's new home!

SteinAir

Well Known Member
Just to let the rest of the folks in the Black Hills know....there's another RV9 that has moved in. It's not like anyone can miss it if you see it, but thanks to Doug Weiler the Clown Car arrived safely at it's new home on the ranch outside of Sturgis! Should show up around some regional shows and for more show and tell. Yep - it's a gravel and/or gras road/runway that it'll be living on, hence the 3 blade catto and taildragger configuration. It's a wonderful flying machine. The 360 mufflers combined with the 3 blade prop make for one super smooth and really quiet plane.

RV9-SDsm.jpg

Cheers,
Stein

Big toys...

...for big boys. Almost. Here's their model "tool" for the paint idea on top of the wing from OSH2011.

IMG_0068.jpg

Good conversation ice breaker for sure.

Last edited:
It's great....

...to see people step out of the box in regards to paint schemes! At least you won't get confused of which one to climb into at an RV fly-in......!

Like I said to your Dad...

As I was taking pictures at OSH, I think it's pretty neat. ( He was lounging next to her in the shade of the tail of another plane, remaining incognito.)
Then I saw his SteinAir badge and the jig was up. :D Pretty good way to elicit reactions.

...to see people step out of the box in regards to paint schemes! At least you won't get confused of which one to climb into at an RV fly-in......!

...or it shows you can't decide what color to paint it....:D

A bigger version of this?

lego_plane.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Doug Weiler!

I want to give a big thank you to Doug Weiler for delivering the clown car and giving me some wonderful transition training. I have been flying Stein's good old Citabria for the last couple years so there was a "slight" difference in speed, gliding distance, etc.! Hopefully I didn't scare Doug too bad. :eek:

Also, another thanks to Jed at Steinair for helping finish up this project!

That is one cool plane! What you can't tell from that picture is that each of the three prop blades are a different color.

Good to hear you are flying her now!

Next year at OSH you will have to join us in the back row with the other RV-9's

I may as well pipe in here and add that I had a great time delivering the -9 out to the Black Hills. Clown Plane did attract some stares from a King Air crew when I stopped for gas in Pierre (I think they were just envious!).

It was a pleasure flying with Zweit. Although he is a rather low time pilot, he had the -9 mastered in short order (flying in and out of the Bruch Ranch strip/road hones one's stickmanship in short order). Our last mission was a picturesque cross-country over the Black Hills down to visit Larry Vetterman. Hangar flying with Larry is always a blast!!!!

Not sure if Clown Plane will be used to herd cattle or not but that paint scheme does seem to repel mountain lions and rattlesnakes!

Here are some photos of the trip:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dougweil/TripToSturgis?authkey=Gv1sRgCPCyhaeEqM6X_QE#

Last edited:
Clown Car

Wow...Who needs a TCAS with a paint like that...:)

Being Stein's Dad airplane it will be nice to see the avionics in it...

Different for sure...

Bruno

Glad she's finally home!

It's about time that Stein gave your airplane back!

I thought for a bit there that he was going to keep the 9 and give you the 'coupe...maybe there's still a chance???

:D

It's about time that Stein gave your airplane back!

I thought for a bit there that he was going to keep the 9 and give you the 'coupe...maybe there's still a chance???

:D

Well Andrew, I think I came out ahead on this deal. Considering the -9 came home with 54 hrs. "total" hrs. on it and I've put over 80 hrs. on Stein's citabria in the last year and 1/2!
Not sure I'd be able to afford the gas for the 'coupe anyway!

New excuse for our paint scheme.

I think I'll just start telling people that ask about our paint: My brother Stein "pointed" ;) out the colors to the paint shop and this is what happened!:D

Clown Car?

Clown Car? Lego's?

It reminds me of the United Colors of Benetton F1 car and VW Golf (yes VW made a limited run of those!)

Color wheel sampler?

Love it! :)

You could also tell anyone that asks "Lowe's had a sale on spray paint but there was a limit of 6 cans per color" ... probably get a few who believe you

Alan

What are the blue and yellow color brands, names, numbers please?

I want to use yellow and blue with a slash of hot lime green.

Thanks, Jack

I want to use yellow and blue with a slash of hot lime green.

Thanks, Jack

The paint was PPG automotive paint, I believe these are the color codes. One of Stein's freinds painted it out in Minn. so he might have more specific details if needed.

Blue 114024
Industrial Waste Green 46350
Coca Cola Red 73581
Dark Lemon Yellow 82872

Back