What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Section 29 Question

Blizzard

Nowhere can I find anything about dimpling/countersinking the F-1015A L/R Outboard Seat Ribs and the underlying F-1015B L/R Foot Well Rib Intercostal and F-1015F Spacer. The 1015A outboard foot ribs were riveted in back in section 26 page 6 step 10. They were even more securely riveted when the bottom skin went on. Now that Im up to section 29-15 Step 1 Paragraph 3. It says to dimple the F-1015B Intercosatals and F-1015F Spacers. No Problem. But what about the 6 holes below and the row of holes along the bottom of the F-1015A L/R Outboard Seat Ribs that were never dimpled or at least I can't find where you were supposed to. Instructed to or not I guess I'm going to have to drill out the Outboard Seat Ribs and dimple everything that will have on overlying dimpled skin laying on it! ARRGHHHH. Let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks

Thanks Josh. I thought I had most of the "gotchas" covered. Missed this one. Oh well. Not the first, won't be the last. Where did you get the rivet gun adapter that will accept a dimple die. I think I'll approach it that way. It's in a area that will be under the wing fairing so it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. Really don't won't to have to take that rib out.......again. LOL Thanks Again

Rivet selection

For those hard to reach spots under the wing, you can use AN470 and skip the dimples altogether.

That's exactly what I was going to ask about. The lower areas of the F-1015B and the intercostals will be under the wing root fairings and never seen. Seems to be a simpler solution than trying to post dimple those holes. Just have to remember not to dimple those particular holes in the skin. Planning on using AN470 3-4's vs AN426 3-4's. Thanks.

I’m just starting into section 26. I’m perplexed as to why Vans doesn’t call out dimpling or countersinking early on. For example when you work on the bulkheads in section 25 there is ample opportunity to dimple and countersink with great access. They’re still saying to match drill but the majority of the parts holes are sized appropriately so no need for that. I’m assuming anything that has a skin attached is dimpled or CS?

BTW ...thanks to the OP for this as I probably would have been hooped too!

Keith

Back