What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Sump - Angle vs Parallel

I have a lycoming O-360 A4A converted to fuel injection with a Bendix system. The sump is the factory updraft that came with the engine. I'd like to change to a forward facing intake sump. I'm wondering if the Sump off an angle valve 360 or 390 would work if I were to use my intake pipes? I know the angle valve intake pipes will not work with the parallel engines. Thanks for any input.

Intake tubes are different for the forward facing sump. Lycoming sells the parallel valve engine with forward facing sump, so I'm sure appropriate intake tubes are available.

Forward Facing Sump

I used a magnesium sump off of a IO-360-C1C on my PV 360 but had to fabricate/modify custom intake tubes to fit the engine as well as my 4’s cowling. 2 options you do have without doing any fabrication would be the Lycoming M1B Intake tubes which adapt Lycoming’s A1A/A1B6 Sump to a 360 PV engine. The second option would be to use the Superior aftermarket cold air sump which has 3 different sets of intake tubes to fit either the 320 PV, 360 PV or the 360 Angle Valve. ECI use to have a forward facing sump for the PV engine as well but don’t know if their still being produced. Sky Dynamics makes some beautiful very light weight sumps and intake tube combinations as well, primarily for the aerobatic crowd.
When I built my engine these options weren’t available. Now You have multiple options but none of them are cheap !!
I see your flying a 4 as well which makes it an extra challenge that will probably require some cowling mods. The Sky Dynamics Sump may fit within a stock cowl as I’ve seen them on 4’s before.
Duff

Last edited:
For my first RV I had to roll my own. I modified a C model angle valve sump from aft induction to forward and made custom intake pipes. I also had to modify my engine mount for that sump. This time I found a package with an A model angle valve sump and intake pipes to match the parallel cylinders. I forget who I bought it from. Another choice is to look in the Lycoming parts book for the sump and tubes for the IO-360-M1B, the parallel valve, forward injection model in production.

Back