What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NorCal to SoCal to Norcal

rph142

Well Known Member
About midweek my wife found out she had to make a last minute trip to San Diego for work on Friday. Her brother lives down there so she decided to stay the night and fly back late Saturday. My work was quiet so I took a half day Friday and flew the 3 down.
Immediately after takeoff I could see it was going to be soupy and windy down low. You can see part of the Diablo MTB trail network on top of the ridge in this photo.
2d8ov9f.jpg

Look at the traffic heading into Livermore. Been there done that, not fun.
2dqq07l.jpg

It was windy, bumpy, and hazy down low so I climbed up to 11k. After about an hour I'm over the southern tip of the central valley.
35i6rlx.jpg

Typical #'s for this plane. Its cold up here! Even with full cabin heat, I had to warm my hands on the bottom of the transponder.
ej8n14.jpg

Big mountains off to the right as I make the turn into the basin.
do6mib.jpg

Made it to Palomar!
34sf1xg.jpg

We got up early the next day to play some doubles tennis at the local courts. 70F and sunny. My mom called me later to tell me she saw chunks of ice floating down the delaware river. I dont miss that one bit.
2n7pgs2.jpg

Time to head out. Palomar is the busiest small airport I've seen in a while. I was #6 in line to takeoff.
2uhmplh.jpg

Climbing out. You can see the tennis courts and my brother in laws house somewhere in that development in this pic.
mtuxc8.jpg

I had nice 10-15kt tailwinds the entire ride home. Made the 390 nm return trip in around 2.5 hours and 15.2 gallons of fuel.
2afj1h4.jpg

Keep pounding those rivets.

Last edited:
Saw it

We saw your plane a few weeks ago on the ramp at Nut Tree, and really enjoyed looking at your creative paint scheme.

I got to meet Rob at my home airport HAF and see his beauty of an airplane. I was impressed that someone so young took on the challenge of building a -3.

I love VCB. Probably a bit too much. I can't think of many other places to fly to within walking distance of so many restaurants from Thai, Pizza, to Five Guys and several mexican places. I finally got a chance to check Freebird burritos. For a chain, i was quite impressed. :D

Back