What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navworx price increase

s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
The 600 -exp must be selling like hot cakes. Price started at 699 then went to 799, and I just saw 869. Any idea what the wait period is for delivery ? Anyone have installation or operations info ?

They aren't shipping yet. They are quoting me mid April at the earliest to start shipping.

Wow---

Yikes!

There was $729 in there somewhere as well.

My rule of thumb for avionics is never to buy until you need it. At this rate, it will be up to 2 grand before I'm ready!

or iLevil AW will add ADS-B out...

:rolleyes:

CC

Now up to $1049 as of 5/7/2015.
Fortunately, all of the pre-orders locked in the price at time of purchase.

Supposed to start shipping this week.

Wow! I sure hope prices go down (or competitive products arrive) before I need mine.

I'll bet when the date gets close all the companies will be scrambling to get as much business as they can. And there will be more products to compete for our bucks.

Price Jump

I for one feel cheated by this price jump.

According to their press release cited on AOPA.

The company announced Feb. 11 that the new device designed for experimental aircraft will be offered for $699 for a limited time; the standard list price is $799. Moffitt said the ADS600-EXP is expected to ship in March, at which point the price will be reevaluated.

So, seeing that the unit has still not been delivered to early purchasers, jacking the price up this much, leaves a bad taste. (Keep in mind that their price is for the box only. Antennas, cables, hardware.... Are extra)

I for one feel cheated by this price jump.

According to their press release cited on AOPA.

The company announced Feb. 11 that the new device designed for experimental aircraft will be offered for $699 for a limited time; the standard list price is $799. Moffitt said the ADS600-EXP is expected to ship in March, at which point the price will be reevaluated.

So, seeing that the unit has still not been delivered to early purchasers, jacking the price up this much, leaves a bad taste. (Keep in mind that their price is for the box only. Antennas, cables, hardware.... Are extra)

On their website they did give notice...
"NavWorx reserves the right to change pricing and specifications at any time."

I purchased mine on 4/7/2015 for $869, as I noticed they were starting to go up.
I'm sure they wanted to get some immediate orders on the books & create some excitement about their product. They did. They've had some parts backordered impacting production & a communications issue, I believe related to the comm with the PC for firmware updates.
Now, lets get them shipped out, but I'm willing to wait a bit for them to get it right.

They probably expected a lot more people to jump at the $700 price. Price per unit goes up if number sold is lower. Whats really silly is expecting these types of things to come down in price. Competition is a tiny market isn't always a good thing, or even possible. $1100 is pretty darn cheap, considering my certified butt is going to be paying $2000ish.

It's mid-May already and has anyone gotten theirs shipped to them yet?
Ongoing slippage of promised shipping date concerned me enough to hold off on jumping in for the early bird promotional pricing.

put it in the "proper" perspective

I think the minimum starting price for anything "electrical in a box" for airplanes is $1000 O.O

I have begun speaking in "AMUs" ... Aircraft Monetary Units.
1 AMU = $1000.
This re-cages my brain, and allows me to trick myself into thinking that building an experimental airplane is somehow affordable :rolleyes:

I ordered mine 2/13/2015, as soon as I heard about the promotional pricing. I am not sure where I am in the queue. I have not received my unit yet, but I will post when I do.

"AMU" pricing doesn't work at my house because my wife is better at math than I am. I believe our system is called "house remodel projects equivalent units"

Navworx

I talked to Bill Moffit late last week and he informed me that since my order was placed in early March mine would be in the first group to be shipped and that would be sometime mid-May. He also mentioned that the apparent delay was due to some software issues and a few component shortages but those issues are resolved.
Val K.
RV-8
N81VK

Price comparison

Comparing the Navworx and Skyguard units shows a relatively small price differential. The Navworx store (http://www.navworx.com/navworx_store/Experimental_Aircraft_Transceivers/ADS600_EXP.html) , shows a price of $1,366.00 which includes a 1090ES Receiver, Transmonspe, Internal Mounted GPS antenna and no external antennas or cables. The new SkyGuard model (http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/uatessquawk-transceiver-model/) with a 1090ES receiver and a squawk detector (for mode C transponders) sells on the factory website for $1,575, and for $1499 on the Adventure Pilot website. So now there is a 10% price differential between comparable Navworx and Skyguard units.

Internal GPS's

Internal GPS.
Tim Andres

Both the Navworx and SkyGuard sites say they have internal GPS's.

Navworx: Contains internal GPS system - does not require an externally connected GPS. (but their price list shows $59 for an internally mounted antenna.)

SkyGuard: Integrated precision WAAS GPS insures accurate location as displayed on moving map.

Comparing the Navworx and Skyguard units shows a relatively small price differential. The Navworx store (http://www.navworx.com/navworx_store/Experimental_Aircraft_Transceivers/ADS600_EXP.html) , shows a price of $1,366.00 which includes a 1090ES Receiver, Transmonspe, Internal Mounted GPS antenna and no external antennas or cables. The new SkyGuard model (http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/uatessquawk-transceiver-model/) with a 1090ES receiver and a squawk detector (for mode C transponders) sells on the factory website for $1,575, and for $1499 on the Adventure Pilot website. So now there is a 10% price differential between comparable Navworx and Skyguard units.
If you have the gtx-327 or higher, you don't need the Transmonspe.
Deduct $169

Do tell when you receive it.

I ordered my mine on 5/18. I can see from this thread that quite a few others ordered earlier.... which is good for me. Regardless of your platform (12,6,7 etc) please share your photos of your antenna install and how you routed your antenna wires. I have an RV6A and a gtx 327 with the transponder antenna way up front. I intend to begin installing the antenna before the unit arrives, but sorta wanted to know how other have decided to do it.

And.. please let the rest of us know when you get your unit and how your installation goes.

I did email navworx and they indicated today that it would be about 3 weeks for my shipment to arrive. Hopefully that means that they are build a whole bunch of these boxes at one time.

Thanks

I think Navworx is my best option

I like the Navworx solution for several reasons. The low cost, the internal GPS, and the ability to keep my 76A. I don't want to be grounded if my 400W were to fail and don't like the idea of always having to have it on just for the transponder. In fact, I was planning to pull the 400w out to lighten the plane for future aerobatic flights. If the 400W were to fail in the clouds, ATC would still get my GPS position from the Navworx box, and I could make do with handheld boxes. I think it would add a little more redundancy. And, if the Navworx box fails, at least my mode C radio is still transmitting.

Latest from NavWorx

I pinged Bill via email yesterday and his response was encouraging:

?We have resolved the last of our technical issues and are now in the process of manufacturing. Initial customer orders are now shipping and we hope to clear the backlog in the next 30-40 days. I want to extend my apologies and appreciation to those who have waited so long. As pilots ourselves, we hope to see you in the air soon!

Bill Moffitt
President
NavWorx Inc.
?

Price went up again by $100. Now $1149.

They finally started shipping last week. They shipped out the first 8 units.

You never know with avionics. With their price now above Skyguard, I believe we will start to see feature competition. Early adopters are locked out of this.

For a little extra, you can get a backup AHRS from Skyguard. Dual freq and Squawk detection are now common. Maybe iLevil will add ADSB/out? Lots of options and all around the same price.

Using one of these units and a good quality tablet as the user interface will add significant safety to GA. Imagine a few years ago trying to get an AHRS backup for under $2,000. Now you get MUCH more.

I still feel a little sorry for the certified guys tho.

CC

Starting to wish I'd jumped in right at the start. Didn't see the price doubling.

With the current price at $1,149 and the original price at $699, it is far from doubled. It's a 64% price increase. If you consider the $699 as an introductory price and $799 as original "regular" price, then it is a 43% price increase. Yes, both of those numbers are still high, but far from doubled.

Now, take the Garmin 430W upgrade from non-WAAS. The original price was $1,500. Now it's at least $3,000, but usually $3,500 all told. That's doubled.

I think the simple explanation would be supply and demand. If they are still selling as fast as they can make them at $1,149, then why would they sell them at $699, except to make us happy?

Not meaning to argue, and I'm also bothered that the price has increased, but the intro price was really low, being well below the price of many receive only units, and this has the built-in GPS also. Oh, and they have done away with the crazy expensive TNC connectors on the EXP unit.

Last edited:
Jessie, Let me know when you get your units in. I'd like to stop in & see your setup.
Mine won't be shipped for another couple weeks. I'm hoping to receive mine & install it before OshKosh.

Jessie, Let me know when you get your units in. I'd like to stop in & see your setup.
Mine won't be shipped for another couple weeks. I'm hoping to receive mine & install it before OshKosh.

I might only be getting one of the 3 I ordered, but it is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday morning. You're welcome to come see it.

I'm in the speculation mode now, but I imagine the $699 price was a loss leader and was intended to generate interest on the front end. The market is chock full of $2k+ solutions, so even if NavWorx is $1500 with all the necessary accessories, it remains the lowest cost solution.

And they have lots of people talking about it.

So far, from reading through the manual, I find that the manual falls WAY short of the mark. It refers to a UAT console that you use to configure via iPad or PC, but I can't find any iPad software on their website or any more details whatsoever on how to do it.

Then it refers to a document for configuration which doesn't exist anywhere that I can find online.

My unit also came wrapped in bubble wrap with no WiFi antenna, which the manual says is included.

I'm sure Bill will be as busy with support calls as he is with trying to fulfill the backlog of orders.

Did you download the config software?

So far, from reading through the manual, I find that the manual falls WAY short of the mark. It refers to a UAT console that you use to configure via iPad or PC, but I can't find any iPad software on their website or any more details whatsoever on how to do it.

Then it refers to a document for configuration which doesn't exist anywhere that I can find online.

My unit also came wrapped in bubble wrap with no WiFi antenna, which the manual says is included.

I'm sure Bill will be as busy with support calls as he is with trying to fulfill the backlog of orders.

Did you download this software and install it? I thought it was sorta hard to find this download so I thought I would point it out.

http://www.navworx.com/ADS600-EXP%20UAT%20Console.exe

Let us know how it goes. I hope you can get it going without much fanfare.

The UAT Console SW

That I used from Navworx is PC based. When I installed a ADS-600B (not the same as the special unit but I believe related) in my RV I didn't see anything for an iPad. In fact that would surprise me because the iPad is port limited and I don't think you could hook it up.

You use a USB to Serial cable to hook up the laptop to the 600B. If he changed that on these new one I don't know, but I sort of doubt it. I have a cheap XP based Netbook PC that I leave in the shop - it doesn't need much of a PC to do this.

It took quite a bit to figure it all out, the instructions are sort of there but not as concise as I would have liked but with multiple readings got done. Wiring in the Control head to sync the transponder code and a transponder suppression wire were sort of surprises, but not hard. I was lucky I had a newer Garmin transponder that supported those features.

That I used from Navworx is PC based. When I installed a ADS-600B (not the same as the special unit but I believe related) in my RV I didn't see anything for an iPad. In fact that would surprise me because the iPad is port limited and I don't think you could hook it up.

You use a USB to Serial cable to hook up the laptop to the 600B. If he changed that on these new one I don't know, but I sort of doubt it. I have a cheap XP based Netbook PC that I leave in the shop - it doesn't need much of a PC to do this.

It took quite a bit to figure it all out, the instructions are sort of there but not as concise as I would have liked but with multiple readings got done. Wiring in the Control head to sync the transponder code and a transponder suppression wire were sort of surprises, but not hard. I was lucky I had a newer Garmin transponder that supported those features.

My main point is that the manual states that you can use an iPad or a PC. The iPad would only connect via WiFi (antenna for which was not included, even though the website and manual say that it is). Then the manual refers to a configuration manual that I can't find anywhere.

I'm waiting to hear back from Bill, who is likely the only person that can help here, as the product is so new. Again, I don't have a PC laptop that I can use to configure the unit.

Not sure about the non-exp hardware, but the exp version would communicate via wifi to the iPad.
I'm assuming you must install the console app although, I get a 'Download Failed' error message when attempting to download from the Navworx site to my iPad.
And, Of course, having the wifi antenna on the unit would help.

Last edited:
Ahh, WiFi is the difference

I was just letting you know my experience. I don't have WiFi. Good luck.

My main point is that the manual states that you can use an iPad or a PC. The iPad would only connect via WiFi (antenna for which was not included, even though the website and manual say that it is). Then the manual refers to a configuration manual that I can't find anywhere.

I'm waiting to hear back from Bill, who is likely the only person that can help here, as the product is so new. Again, I don't have a PC laptop that I can use to configure the unit.

Interesting

Mine is experimental too, it's not the TSO version.

You can't just download from any site SW or apps for an iPad. Unless it's a jail broken iPad you need to install apps from the app store. I have not gone looking for an app, so I don't know if it exists.

QUOTE=roadrunner20;996480]Not sure about the non-exp hardware, but the exp version would communicate via wifi to the iPad.
I'm assuming you must install the console app although, I get a 'Download Failed' error message when attempting to download from the Navworx site to my iPad.
And, Of course, having the wifi antenna on the unit would help.[/QUOTE]

Mine is experimental too, it's not the TSO version.

You can't just download from any site SW or apps for an iPad. Unless it's a jail broken iPad you need to install apps from the app store. I have not gone looking for an app, so I don't know if it exists.

That's true. But since we're talking about a small number of iPad console installs, he could do an ad hoc distribution bypassing the App Store, but would need the device ID. This would be limited to 100 devices.
Or, they could release as a beta, again bypassing the App Store.

I'm going to make a couple of unsubstantiated assumptions. :eek:
The download Jesse is trying to do is probably for a windows computer and won't work on an IPad.
Bill did state that you would be able to configure the Exp through an IPad App via WiFi. Most likely he hasn't had a chance to finish the App.:confused:
Good luck. Try this link for Installation and User Manual.

http://www.navworx.com/documents/ADS600-EXP Installation Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Back