What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up or slider on RV-7A

Thinking of getting an RV !! I could use some input on pros and cons between the tip-up or slider on a rv7a. ie: visability/installation problems/in flight leakage (wind or rain), ect.

thanks in advance !

Thinking of getting an RV !! I could use some input on pros and cons between the tip-up or slider on a rv7a. ie: visability/installation problems/in flight leakage (wind or rain), ect.

I like almost nothing about tip ups, but that's me. Technically, visibility is better on the tip up, but that "bird protecting" roll bar and brace becomes nearly invisible on the slider.

Wind can wreck havoc on open tip-ups, so you have to watch them. Instruments are easier to re-wire/service on a tip up, but the rain gets in easier too.

For hot climates, a slider is most refreshing during the taxi and right after landing. Can't say that about a tip up. Sliders just look more cool. :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Allow me a moment for the counterpoint...

Visibility is not technically better, it is far superior. I ride as passenger in a friend's slider 7A on occasion and I feel like I'm in a high-wing airplane. In the back seat.

Wind can ruin your day, and I've got the bent canopy latch to prove it. You just need to be mindful of it.

The advantage that tip-ups supposedly have while working behind the panel is way overstated. Most of the stuff you need access to (electrical and plumbing hookups) are behind the sub-panel anyways.

Larry is right about long taxis on hot days. I live in the frozen north, so it is not as much of an issue. The tip-up can be latched in the partially open position, which gives a pretty good amount of airflow for taxi. I modified mine to hold it open about another 1 1/2 inches which makes a big difference.

Leaks? Do you want it to leak in the front or the back? 'Cause it's going to do one or the other.

The tip-up is easier to get in and out of. Could be an issue depending on your age and dexterity.

The bottom line? Find an example of each and beg a ride, or at least a chance to sit in it and try ingress/ egress (outgress?) a few times. Either way you'll love it.

Tip-up-slider!

Search the forums for "Tip-up-slider", it gives the best access to the bagguage area! (it's a slider that tips forward for loading in the back).

Also see the special section in the forums for tip-up versus slider, loads of posts there, no need to invent the wheel again.

Regards, Tonny.

I chose the tip-up because I am tall (6'2"). I found the slider roll bar to be in my way. NOT that I wouldn't get used to it, just preferred the unobstructed view of things.

I also prefer the look of the tip-up. Here it is just a simple matter of preference. In the end, both are outstanding. You won't have to make the decision until ordering a fuselage.

Thanks everyone for the replys ! I am new to this website and love how much info is on here ! Any other replys are still appreciated !

PS If anyone in the ABQ area that has an RV, I would be glad to help with anything just so I can get some RV experience with them. (flying or building)
I am a CFII and A&P.

Slider

Balou,

I haven't ordered my fuselage kit yet (just received shipping date for wings from Vans) but I plan on going with a slider for two reasons.

1. Recently flew an RV-7A slider in Texas on a hot summer day. Liked it.
2. Used to canopy frame in military. Didn't notice it during RV-7 flight.

Not very scientific. I read much debate on this forum and there are as many pros as cons for both styles.

Thanks,

Everyone is wrong

Everything that has been posted is simply personal opinion.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both canopies.

You will have to look at the pro's and con's to each and make your choice.

Then go sit in each, better yet, beg for a ride in each. Then start building what YOU want, not what others want you to build.

In my case, I didn't want any type of canopy bow to look through, around, etc. thus the tipper.

Others are correct, I have spent a lot of time flying antiques and you do get used to having those bars, wires, etc. in your FOV. However, on one of my first flights with my wife I reached up to point at something to her while flying in the mountains and hit, I mean smacked my hand on the canopy. It was such shock to realize there I was up in the air, flying in a big bubble with nothing obscuring my view.

What about a tip sideways canopy?

Is that a possibility..? Hinged on the right and flips open for boarding then latches tight. Has anyone did that installation? It seems the slider is a major project; and it still leaks air. (it's COLD at 12 five.)

A side-ways tipper is not practical on a side-by-side aircraft.
The Zenair 601 series (before the XL model) tipped to the side. The hinges allowed it to tip either way. But then you have to open one side, let the passenger get in, then close it and open it from the other side for the pilot to enter. If it were to open only one way then someone will have to climb across.

Is it possible to fly with the slider open?

I live in a warm climate and have thought about flying my 9a with the slider open. Are the slider rails strong enough to hold it in place during flight? If I could lock the slider in a partially open position, are there any recommendations, restrictions, or other reasons that would prevent one from attempting this. Does anyone have experience trying this, I have not read any articles or discussions about this issue.

Last edited:
A partially open slider does not work well at RV speeds.
Turbulence in the cockpit would be pretty bad, and I'm not sure the plexiglass could handle the loads.

tip up or slider

I have searched this website and found some interesting discussions about this topic but nothing that answers my specific question.
I was told that a tip up canopy leaks when it gets wet (raining) and the water drips into the avionic spaces. Is this true?
Was told the tip up has better visibility. This does seem to be the case due to the roll bar position, am I misguided?
I am gathering data for purchasing or maybe building a 6 or 7. I would also be interested in all the pros and cons of each type of canopy.
I imagine this could get a little heated. This is not my intention I just want to hear the views of people who have built and are flying these great planes.
Thank you.

read all the posts

This is one of the never ending debates. In fact, it is at the top of the list of this site's Never Ending Debates section. Both have their pros and cons.

Here are my thoughts but keep in mind my opinion is only worth what you payed for it.

I chose the slider because:
  1. I wanted to be able to easily open it while taxiing on the ground in the hot summer months when it is sweltering outside.
  2. The wind blows a lot around here. I did not want the tip up to catch the wind and possibly be damaged.
  3. I wanted to be able to get large items in and out of the baggage area so because I went with the slider I was able to install the slider/tipper option available here. This is a great option that is well worth it. If you build the tip-up there is no way to get around the roll bar behind your head when placing items in the baggage area.
  4. I think the slider just looks cool.

My reasons for going with the slider.

Expect there to be slight leaks at the seams, unless you do a superb job of weather sealing, which is possible. The tipper?s seams are in the front where the instrument panel is and in the rear. The Slider has seams in the middle and rear.

Build what you want. Those of us with tip-ups would not change a thing. And I'm sure that those with sliders are the same.
Been flying my T-U for over 17 years. Never had wet avionics.

Tip up and water

My tip up seals completely when it is down but when you open it the water on the canopy runs down and will drip in behind the panel... some have fabricated skirts between the panel and sub-panel to catch and direct the water that look promising.

Also the join between the tip up and the fixed window alows a bit of seepage when washing the plane and could use a silicon bead to fully seal but I am holding off until after paint.

The roll bar is to protect you if a bird smashes through the canopy. I don't even notice mine. So just install a slider, a constant speed prop, and the biggest engine possible! :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Tip Up vs. Slider

My first RV-6A was a Tip Up. LIving in the South West I decided to go with the Slider for better summer time taxi air. The only other negative thing I disliked about the Tip Up was on windy days you had to make sure someone got the airplane tied down before you go off the brakes, opened the canopy and tried to get out (or face into the wind) because the tip up canopy acted like a sail and would start turning the airplane downwind and walking away.

I installed the tip up slider option to give better access to the baggage compartment on the slider.

tip up

The biggest pain with the slider is having to tweak the sliding frame to line up with your airframe. I wasted over 50 hrs. attempting to get mine to line up per the plans and never could and was stopped when it started to crack from working too much. I ended up buying a new one and invited our EAA Tech. counselor over to show me how it was done. After two hours of tweaking we had a 95% solution which should work well when I SIKA glue the plexi on next summer...

Doug Lomheim
90116; Mazda 13B, FWF

Well, I saw the greatest issue with the slider was, as everyone pointed out, access to behind the panel. I didn't want to give up my slider, so I made access panels on the top of the fuselage in front of the windshield. I have complete access to the area behind my instruments now. BTW, I am building an F1- this might have no bearing on the Vans aircraft.....

Slider

You can make a case for either option. Wouldn't it be a drag if we were all the same? Those tip up people might not have to work on the radios so often if they weren't dripping water on the stack from rain or dew. What I don't like about entry to the TUs is the unfinished look of the under side of the canopy until you close the lid. The visibility is, however, breath taking in the TU once under way but it's a toasty at times on the ground..

Tip Sideways

A side-ways tipper is not practical on a side-by-side aircraft.
The Zenair 601 series (before the XL model) tipped to the side. The hinges allowed it to tip either way. But then you have to open one side, let the passenger get in, then close it and open it from the other side for the pilot to enter. If it were to open only one way then someone will have to climb across.

The Cozy MKIV is the same width as a RV7 and has a tip sideways canopy. Works fine but you do have to crawl over the pilot side for pax and it has a substantial frame to keep it "square". I don't think it would be entirely impractical but would be a lot of work to be the first.

That said, It would be very easy to build a removable fiberglass drip tray on tip ups that would catch the water and direct it over the longeron.

Ryan

Jettison

I read here that the slider cannot open in flight because of air pressure. Is this true? I also read here that the tip up is jettisonable. If that's the case, then as a former Pitts and Extra driver I would prefer the tip up, though I have never had to bail but would hate to have the option denied to me by the design. As much as I would probably prefer the slider for the main reasons of living in the Florida heat and wind, I would have to go with jettisonable canopy.

Or does the Meske mod for the slider make it jettisonable?

I read here that the slider cannot open in flight because of air pressure. Is this true? I also read here that the tip up is jettisonable. If that's the case, then as a former Pitts and Extra driver I would prefer the tip up, though I have never had to bail but would hate to have the option denied to me by the design. As much as I would probably prefer the slider for the main reasons of living in the Florida heat and wind, I would have to go with jettisonable canopy.

Or does the Meske mod for the slider make it jettisonable?

I see this is your first post so you probably aren't aware this topic has been discussed hundreds of times in the past several years.

Put "jettison" into the forum search engine and you will find many threads that will address your question. If you still have questions in this regard, please post them and we'll be glad to fill in the gaps.

Back