What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair is making a throttle quadrant

panhandler1956

Well Known Member
All,
In my quest for alternative throttle quadrants I came across this link:
http://kitplanesmag.blogspot.com/2008/04/andair-announces-new-throttle-quadrant.html

Looks kinda cool and might be an option versus the DJM that Vans offers as the deluxe. The DJM is very nice, but the notion of switches on the left hand (RV-8 guy) would be cool!

It's twice the price, but hey it's only money! :cool:

Not sure when they will be available. This one shown is actually for a -7 but hopefully they'll remember us tandem guys, our money is green too! :D

FP04052008A0000K.jpg

Funny but before I had even started on my fuselage I dreamed of putting switches on the throttle. The problem I had was what wold those switches control.

The only thing I could think of was flaps. What would the 2nd button be for in the picture above? Could one be flaps up and the other flaps down?

PPT and trim can be done on the joy stick.

I had one of these on order from Andy at last year's ('07) Oshkosh...they STILL aren't being delivered? I cancelled my order after almost three months becoming frustrated with delays...

Andy is a great guy with a great company, we all know that. It was just an over promised, under delivered deal. It happens.

Andair products are top notch. :cool:

Reading the post..

The two buttons are for flaps up and flaps down. I like the thought of that quadrant, but to me it just looks a little oversized as compared to the others I've seen. Smaller with a rocker switch for the flaps would make more sense to me.

Just my $0.02 :cool:

My F1 has way too many buttons on the stick that have caused me no end of trouble when either I or the rear seat pax pressed them inadvertently so in building the radial I took many off the stick. There are, however, things I do not want to have to reach out and touch the panel for so I put them on the throttle quadrant in my Radial.

Took a stock Vans quadrant and extended the throttle and prop levers so I could get my fat hand between all the knobs. Mounted a hat switch in the throttle handle near where my thumb can easilyreach it and put two micro momentary contact switches on the lever itself where I can reach with the 4th and fifth digits when my hand is on the throttle.

The hat switch controls the flaps and rudder trim the red micro is AP disconnect and the black micro is frequency flip flop through the EFIS.

100_3031_Small.jpg

Last edited:
EGAD! I hope that's just a prototype. Personally, I like the throttle horizontal versus vertical, and I don't want the other knobs to get in the way of the trottle since I really don't move them all that much once I'm situated at cruise.

I have to say I like their fuel valves very much so hopefully, their quadrant will turn out as nice.

Interesting

My first inclination was to suggest that Andy might want to scale back the throttle size to something closer to a canned ham.

After a little thought, the system looks tactilely designed, so maybe you don't need to look at the quadrant as much during an approach. Might be worth my consideration.

(I still have some riveting ahead of me, so I have the luxury of time for throttle quadrant selection.)

After a little thought, the system looks tactilely designed, so maybe you don't need to look at the quadrant as much during an approach. Might be worth my consideration.
I tried this quadrant at OSH last year. Large yes, but very comfortable in the hand. It's still in the running for me, but we will see where Andy is with production this year at OSH.

What are the buttons for!!!!!

Funny but before I had even started on my fuselage I dreamed of putting switches on the throttle. The problem I had was what wold those switches control.

The only thing I could think of was flaps. What would the 2nd button be for in the picture above? Could one be flaps up and the other flaps down?

PPT and trim can be done on the joy stick.

What about the Ejection seat?

or Nitrous oxide?

or a Horn?

or the Rear window defroster?

.....just to name a few.

Nice lookin' throttle...now if he would just deliver what is already on order...or for that matter, reply to a customer email inquiry.

just make your own

I ended up making my own throttle quadrant. The throttle handle is made to fit my hand and it's an an angle that is comtorable for my arm while it's at rest to my side (about a 30 degree angle). The red button on the top has been replaced with a higher quality button that is sunken into the handle and it's used for the engine starter. the wires run through the handle it'self as its really two pieces of aluminum with a groove cut into them.

Last edited:
That's cool! I have thought about that myself. It would be fun to have everything anodized and stuff. That's why I love this homebuilding deal!!!

I ended up making my own throttle quadrant. The throttle handle is made to fit my hand and it's an an angle that is comtorable for my arm while it's at rest to my side (about a 30 degree angle). The red button on the top has been replaced with a higher quality button that is sunken into the handle and it's used for the engine starter. the wires run through the handle it'self as its really two pieces of aluminum with a groove cut into them.

Knob Source

Any suggestions on where to buy real quadrant knobs? I checked with a simulator outfit and they wanted $30 EACH! I have a home made setup and the cabinet pulls are really ugly.....:(

Fatboy over Andair Quadrant

I wanted the Andair, but after waiting and waiting for a response, I gave up on them. I happened upon the "Fatboy" website, and after a few minutes on the phone with Andy Hawes, he has earned my business. It's great to see a young guy working hard to make a great product, and he seems to be accommodating to make what works for the individual. I wish him the best.

odd

I recently had the need to exchange a couple of fittings I had purchased with an Andair valve for different ones - sent Andair an e-mail, got an immediate response back, they were happy to make the exchange, another e-mail to sort out the details was quickly replied to and they sent the fittings.
Odd that you got no response from them- -the service they provided me was top notch.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishng kit

I wanted the Andair, but after waiting and waiting for a response, I gave up on them. I happened upon the "Fatboy" website, and after a few minutes on the phone with Andy Hawes, he has earned my business. It's great to see a young guy working hard to make a great product, and he seems to be accommodating to make what works for the individual. I wish him the best.

Looks like Aircraft Spruce carries them:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/andairThrottlequadrants.php

I recently had the need to exchange a couple of fittings I had purchased with an Andair valve for different ones - sent Andair an e-mail, got an immediate response back, they were happy to make the exchange, another e-mail to sort out the details was quickly replied to and they sent the fittings.
Odd that you got no response from them- -the service they provided me was top notch.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishng kit

Good to hear. I might have been the exception to the rule, but I wanted to merely pass on my personal experience, and make a reference to Fatboy, which I felt was a worthy business.

Last edited:
I like the starter button on the throttle.
I don't like the idea of jockying the throttle and flying the stick with my knees while pushing the start button :eek: attemping an in flight re-start (after some 'whifferdoodle') :rolleyes:

Andair..? Does anyone have a working E-mail address?

I have tried multiple times over several months to contact this company, through the E-mail address they post on their website, but to no avail. Does anyone else have an E-mail address they have had luck with, other than the one posted?

Last edited:
Back