What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Princeton fuel capacitance probe to GRT EIS, help!

stringbender

Patron
A recent purchase of RV6A I am attempting to obtain a successful fuel indicating system. At present I rely on sticking the tanks and a watch along with Fuel Flow indication over my GRT Engine Indicating System during flight.

I am just getting used to recognizing most of the numbers on the GRT EIS, I would like to buy an EFIS with visual vertical display of these engine peramitors and as you know going EFIS can be a rabbit hole.

I really would like to have an accurate fuel indicating system.

Currently I recognize that my fuel quantity probe is the capacitance type (I think) made by Princeton Electronics ( which now became Redavionics ).
I do not have a separate fuel guage, just the GRT EIS.

Attached is the probe, the number of wires/colors. And the GRT EIS unit (not on the fuel page btw).

Question?
1. is this unit compatible with the GRT EIS?
2. how best to resolve this situation?

I am capable of following instructions, if someone has the relevant paperwork, install, calibration, compatibility I'd appreciate it.
I'm challenged right now because the manufactures tech support is at Sun n Fun, and the units were purchased many years ago. The a/c is a 2005 certified.

Thank you for your interest and concern

Doug

Attachments

• v8vsjoVxQc+xHgAVUTd1HQ.jpg
    v8vsjoVxQc+xHgAVUTd1HQ.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 54
  • kX9R15f8QpiWmJTFGvq3sA.jpg
    kX9R15f8QpiWmJTFGvq3sA.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 58
  • u8YW%QrfSH2zhT0c7Y3q3w.jpg
    u8YW%QrfSH2zhT0c7Y3q3w.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 43
Yes, they will play nicely together----a buddy is flying this combo, but using an EFIS for displaying the fuel. The EFIS gets its info from the EIS, so I suspect you can make this work without an EFIS and just read directly from the EIS.

Also, I believe that the Princeton unit was made by one of the partners in GRT.

Contact GRT.

Last edited:
My 6a uses float style fuel probe, GRT documentation on how to calibrate is on their site. Not saying capacitance style will not work, but me and most don’t use with eis4000. I found a link where someone is using Princeton brand capacitive probes. If it is a resistive style probe , you can likely make it work with effort. Id email support at GRT. Changing out to float style would be my recommendation, the norm with GRT EIS. Pushing data to GRT EFIS from EIS400 is one wire.

http://grtavionics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

http://grtavionics.com/media/Resistive-Float-Fuel-Senders-EIS.pdf

My recommendation would be to bite the bullet, disconnect the capacitance system, and buy the float type senders. They aren’t terribly expensive. My reason for this recommendation comes from reading the tea leaves (!). Capacitive systems give different answers for different types of gas, e.g., if calibrated for av gas they’ll be incorrect for auto gas. I think unleaded av gas may be here sooner than you think, and it will likely mean your capacitive probes will be off if you use it, or go back and forth between UL and leaded during some transition period.
If you put in float type sensors, then: the existing EIS will read out fuel levels (left and right), with a two point calibration (e.g., it will be correct when full and when empty, with a linear interpolation in between). You can set the alarm light to come on if the level drops below some number you choose, e.g., 4 gal.
If you buy an EFIS: a GRT EFIS can see all the engine data from the EIS. Any other brand, I don’t know. The data is sent via digital links, so the efis has to ‘read the language’ (understand the digital formatting). With a GRT EFIS: you can do a multi-point (e.g., every 2 gal) calibration of the float senders, so they are very accurate. The EFIS can integrate (add up) the fuel flow data you already have, to give you a total fuel used/total remaing number, which is extremely accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back