What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Asking for a small favor. Picture early RV-6

Bandera

Well Known Member
I wonder if I could ask a small favor of the membership? I’m looking for a picture of a RV-6. This RV was pictured in the Vans Accessory Catalog for years. It’s a two tone color scheme RV pictured flying over a city. I’m looking for this one picture because this is the first RV I ever worked on. Any help tracking down a picture of this aircraft would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the first completed customer RV6 was a 2 tone blue/white built by Allen Tolle. Van used that particular aircraft for various early promotional shots.

I believe the first completed customer RV6 was a 2 tone blue/white built by Allen Tolle. Van used that particular aircraft for various early promotional shots.

Our neighbor owns the first -6A that was built by Allen Tolle, also in that same color scheme. Don’t know if that’s what the OP is looking for….

You may find a photo the aircraft you are looking for by using the Internet Archive WayBack Machine.
It has Van’s website captures from 1999 to the present including the accessory catalog.

Thanks for the mention of wayback machine. I’m getting closer. In an old issue of the accessory catalog I found this picture. This the airplane I am looking for. I would like to find it in color.

KplF1Cz.png

A little story on this RV. This owner had two RV-6’s. The first was crashed coming back from Sun-N-Fun. An oil line had broken and oil got on the windshield obscuring his view. His second -6 was painted to match the first. Around 2017/2018 he had retired from flying and sold the plane. By chance I had an opportunity to meet the planes new owner.

Thanks for the mention of wayback machine. I’m getting closer. In an old issue of the accessory catalog I found this picture. This the airplane I am looking for. I would like to find it in color.
KplF1Cz.png

A little story on this RV. This owner had two RV-6’s. The first was crashed coming back from Sun-N-Fun. An oil line had broken and oil got on the windshield obscuring his view. His second -6 was painted to match the first. Around 2017/2018 he had retired from flying and sold the plane. By chance I had an opportunity to meet the planes new owner.

This would be Dean Fellows. He lives in McKinney TX. Just talked with him yesterday.
No broken oil line. The front seal blew out.

Last edited:
This would be Dean Fellows. He lives in McKinney TX. Just talked with him last Saturday.
No broken oil line. The front seal blew out.

Thank you, Mel. It has been a few years since I was told what happened.

Back