What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Accessing wing wires to cockpit

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello!

Installing ADSB this weekend (Echo UAT) and I am putting it on a wing inspection panel and I have to run the wires into the cockpit. I've got them to the fuselage port but am having a hard time figuring out how to best access them on the cabin side. There is a gray panel that won't budge when I remove all the screws and the lower panel is riveted to the floor. Do I have to remove the seat to access the panel below? Not intamitely familiar with the 10 yet and figured I'd ask before unnecessarily tearing everything apart.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3160-01.jpg
    IMG_3160-01.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 361
Yes, Carl is correct… you have to slide the panel up first in order to get it out

Slide is the proper term but I will add the word pry into this. Those dimples pretty securely hold that panel and you will have to use more force than you think in order to get the panel to slide up so you can pull the bottom out and then slide it down and put.

Slide is the proper term but I will add the word pry into this. Those dimples pretty securely hold that panel and you will have to use more force than you think in order to get the panel to slide up so you can pull the bottom out and then slide it down and put.

I think even Jeffrey’s description is an understatement. Mine takes a lot of force. I even had to use a thin pry bar to get it to move up and to pull the bottom out over the seat rail.

I’ve got to remove mine this weekend to replace an oat. I’m not looking forward to it.

What has been said

removing the seat is a minor inconvenience but adds a great deal of comfort to removing that panel and subsequently installing wiring etc.
For most 10s you need to remove the flap tube cover under the rear seat passenger legs. 8 screws and 2 minutes of labor. You can't get the seat out without removing that panel. Some have modifications.

If you don't have the plans yet, you should get them. Also, to keep from scratching the panel you should put a line of masking tape along the top for when you slide it up.

Back