What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety Trim

shiney

Well Known Member
For those who purchased the safety trim device via the group buy here, now that you have got them, where are you planning to mount them (RV7)?

I am planning on putting mine on the second-most outboard seat rib. Since my trim will be controlled by a china-hat switch on the grip, this makes my wire runs shortest. I am considering putting in some small holes in the bottom of the seat pan so I can adjust the potentiometers without unscrewing the safety trim box. I will try to put a pic up tonight.

I mounted mine under the cross brace that holds up the seat backs. The wires run down the flap tower. You can drill two little holes in the front of the cross brace, mine in on the passenger side. Can't see it, easy to get to.

And here the pic I promised is.

IMG_8697.JPG

I know this thread is getting old, but I'm new to building. What is a "safety trim"? Thanks.

Brad

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,

Question answered! There's a lot of information on that website. I think I'll be using some of their products when I get farther along on my plane. I just ordered my wings!

Brad

Last edited:
One of my better decisions

I've been meaning to comment on some of the things that I've been really pleased with on my airplane now that I'm out of Phase 1. And this is one of them.

I purchased my Safety Trim in the group buy mentioned above, once I found out what a nightmare wiring up the co-pilot grip would be if I put a trim switch on it. It was to the point that I was regretting my decision to go with electric trim.

The group buy came along at just the right time and I bit, although I was concerned that I might just be adding more failure points and complexity.

The S/T was easy to install even though I had zip experience in wiring. I didn't touch the speed settings. I thought I'd have to fiddle with it after the 1st flight but I was wrong. The thing just sets there under the tunnel cover behind the firewall and you never know it is there. It works that seemlessly on my RV-7. Its really nice when a product works as advertised.

Back