What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A checkout needed in Arizona

Gash

Well Known Member
Anybody know where I can get a quick RV-14A checkout in Arizona for insurance? Glad to pay in dollars (boring) or trade a full-up aerobatic flight in the Extra 330LX (not boring). Thanks!

When I got my insurance, they would accept checkout in any Van's "A" model in lieu of the actual -14A. I was able to get a few days scheduled with Mike Seager in Oregon (yep - flew there from Florida). I understand that Van's east coast rep Joe Czachorowski also does checkouts, but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it. Tim Olson in Wisconsin did it for a brief time but no longer does AFIK.

It will be interesting to hear if any other instructors are offering checkouts.

Thanks Turner, I'll do an official Vans checkout if necessary. In the meantime, I'll have to see if a carrier would just waive the checkout requirement. I have 1500 hours in 6 different RV makes & models (including -A). Yet the underwriters still ask for a checkout. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anybody know where I can get a quick RV-14A checkout in Arizona for insurance? Glad to pay in dollars (boring) or trade a full-up aerobatic flight in the Extra 330LX (not boring). Thanks!

I can't check you out but can I still get a ride in the Extra? LOL would be worth the flight down from Washington.

Jon

Good news for future RV-14 owners who have time in other Vans aircraft. My insurance broker called carriers back and nudged them a bit to see if they'd drop the checkout requirement. A couple of them did drop the requirement, so I picked one. Thanks for the other tips guys!

Back