What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten CS 8 hits aero sport panel switches

mlinett

Patron
Hi
We have the CS-8 Tosten grips and they are hitting the Aerosport panel with the Elevator stops installed. Since The Vans sticks are heat treated after they are welded together it creates a potential issue if we were too weld on them a correct angle to fit the CS-8 Grips. Does anyone manufacture a stick that fits the Tosten CS-8 grip so that it will clear the Aerosport Panel switches?

A couple of thoughts.
Can you adjust your linkages going from stick to elevator bellcrank to move the stick back a little.
Can you cut the stick down a little to give you clearance?

I have the CS-8 grip, standard panel. Top of stick cut down, leaving just enough to mount the grip. After adjusting the linkages, the grip stops just short of the panel, and also the throttle at full forward, full right stick.
I noted my left and right sticks had a slightly different amount of bend. Some have reported here that they filled the stick with sand, put it into a press, and increased the bend a bit.

In addition to what Bob did, I also cut off the lower portion of the stick, leaving just enough straight section to attach at the joint. This will move the stick further from the panel.

What worked for me...

I had the same problem. In addition to shortening the stick as much as practical and adjusting the linkages, I made a new insert for the grip to go into that has an angled hole. The hole is oriented so that the top of the stick is tilted back over an inch. It is a lot more straight up and down than the factory grip. This solved my interference problem.

At the time I wasn't sure how this would effect the feel of the grip while flying, but I don't notice it at all. (edit: the insert is for the grip to go into)

Last edited:
Back