What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to land in Stockton

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
We're going to a graduation in Stockton in a few weeks and was wondering if SCK is GA friendly. Their fuel price is almost $7/ gallon!! What are some good alternatives? I was thinking O20 (Kingdon Airpark). Any PIREPS on this airport or others nearby? Is ground transportation available at O20?

Thanks.

It Depends on Where You're Going

Depends on where you're ultimately going, but Modesto, Livermore, Tracy are all good GA options. Lodi is usually a drop zone, so be careful with the parachuters if you go there. They announce on NorCal approach and CTAF when they are jumping.

My parents are based in Lodi 1o3. No tie down fees. Cheap fuel. Last time I was there they had full time security. I haven?t been to Stockton in ages but prices where high before but still good service

As krwalsh said, it depends where you are ultimately going.

There is cheap fuel at Oakdale 22 NM away. Kingdon used to have cheap fuel (haven't checked lately) but not much else, as it is a sleepy little airport outside of the town of Lodi. R/C modelers use the north end of the field sometimes. Occasionally, they have drag racing there too. 1O3 Lodi has skydivers and a café but I doubt ground transportation. There's almost nothing at Lodi Airpark L53.

I would make some phone calls to Stockton and Lodi about their fees and transportation. I would buy my fuel at Oakdale or Byron or somewhere else unless you can get a discount/fees waived for buying fuel at Stockton.

https://flystockton.com/general-aviation/

I don't know if you are an Uber/Lyft kind of person. I'm not.

P.S. I am glad to see you are getting some use out of the RV-4 that Richard built.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Mike. If fuel is available at Kingdon, and it's really only $4.99 as published, I'll land there. Hopefully Uber/ Lyft is available there. Some small towns don't have drivers and we've had to hitch-hike before.

And yes, I'm definitely making good use out of the plane! You can see how much fun I'm having here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zv76X_LvF4

and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmj4hUWELQI

Please say hi to Richard for me and thank him for a great little airplane!

Which airport is he near? I'd love to stop by and say hi sometime.

As krwalsh said, it depends where you are ultimately going.

There is cheap fuel at Oakdale 22 NM away. Kingdon used to have cheap fuel (haven't checked lately) but not much else, as it is a sleepy little airport outside of the town of Lodi. R/C modelers use the north end of the field sometimes. Occasionally, they have drag racing there too. 1O3 Lodi has skydivers and a caf? but I doubt ground transportation. There's almost nothing at Lodi Airpark L53.

I would make some phone calls to Stockton and Lodi about their fees and transportation. I would buy my fuel at Oakdale or Byron or somewhere else unless you can get a discount/fees waived for buying fuel at Stockton.

https://flystockton.com/general-aviation/

I don't know if you are an Uber/Lyft kind of person. I'm not.

P.S. I am glad to see you are getting some use out of the RV-4 that Richard built.

U of P is closer to the north side of Stockton than the south side. KSCK is on the southern edge of Stockton. Here's what I'd suggest:
1. Call the Stockton FBO. See if in return for a fuel purchase, they'll let you park in their lot for free. Otherwise, overnight on the city's ramp is $10/night. If you get free parking, you'll probably only need 20 gal of gas, so the outrageous overcharge of $40 comes down $10 (if you include the parking costs), I'd probably pay it for the convenience (most avgas seems to be around $5/gal).
2. Pay the city $10/night to park overnight, stop at Tracy for gas.
3. Call the Lodi airport and check it out. They list a local outfit as having rental cars, but check them out, see if they're available on a Saturday. Or see if Uber/Lyft is available. There are a number of motels close to the Lodi airport, if you need a cheap place to stay. Do watch out for the skydivers but it's usually a non-issue, they all aim for the south side of the airport (You should use 25-7, the skydiving runway is too rough for an RV IMHO). Airport cafe (closes at 2, I think) has okay food.

Thanks Bob and everyone else for the suggestions. I'll probably just land at Stockton and pay more for the convenience. But I'll call around first before making a decision. Too bad Livermore isn't closer. It's a great airport. I was there last year and have never seen more cool airplanes an airport before! Everything from warbirds, to purpose-built acro mounts, to lots of RVs, and really cool, nice people who are hard-core aviation enthusiasts. I know some of the IAC Chapter 38 guys there. But too bad it's such a far drive to Stockton.

U of P is closer to the north side of Stockton than the south side. KSCK is on the southern edge of Stockton. Here's what I'd suggest:
1. Call the Stockton FBO. See if in return for a fuel purchase, they'll let you park in their lot for free. Otherwise, overnight on the city's ramp is $10/night. If you get free parking, you'll probably only need 20 gal of gas, so the outrageous overcharge of $40 comes down $10 (if you include the parking costs), I'd probably pay it for the convenience (most avgas seems to be around $5/gal).
2. Pay the city $10/night to park overnight, stop at Tracy for gas.
3. Call the Lodi airport and check it out. They list a local outfit as having rental cars, but check them out, see if they're available on a Saturday. Or see if Uber/Lyft is available. There are a number of motels close to the Lodi airport, if you need a cheap place to stay. Do watch out for the skydivers but it's usually a non-issue, they all aim for the south side of the airport (You should use 25-7, the skydiving runway is too rough for an RV IMHO). Airport cafe (closes at 2, I think) has okay food.

If you are going to Stockton, taxi just north of Top Gun aviation. The tie downs are free. There is a coded gate that takes you out of the airport. You can land at Top Gun and park for free but they are only open during business hours. I get fuel in Oakdale. I am not sure about overnight fees if any, I never stay overnight.

Thanks for the heads up. That's what we'll do then. I called and they said $8 overnight fee to park at transient. We'll stop by Tracy or Oakdale for fuel or maybe just bite the bullet and pay Atlantic's high prices for convenience.

If you are going to Stockton, taxi just north of Top Gun aviation. The tie downs are free. There is a coded gate that takes you out of the airport. You can land at Top Gun and park for free but they are only open during business hours. I get fuel in Oakdale. I am not sure about overnight fees if any, I never stay overnight.

Back