What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Wording for Passenger Warning

Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Just a "heads-up", as of September 21st, 2017, new ruling on the Passenger Warning;

Except for single place aircraft, the following placard must be displayed in the aircraft in full view of all occupants: “PASSENGER WARNING—THIS AIRCRAFT DOES NOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD AIRCRAFT.”

Note that Experimental, Light-Sport, or Amateur-Built is no longer required wording. This makes for a more "standardized" placard.

Last edited:
Is this only for newly certificated E-AB's, or is it retroactive? If retroactive, are new ops lims required?

I hope this is an April Fools joke a few months early.

Tim

Why? All they did was drop the " IS AMATEUR-BUILT" from the current placard. I do hate it though as to me it implies that my aircraft is some how sub-standard.

So is my passenger warning on the panel of my yet to be inspected airplane going to cause an issue with the inspector? I used the old wording.

Not necessarily so.

Better wording would be:
"This aircraft is not required to conform to...."

I don't remember seeing a notice and comment opportunity on this, if it was deemed a regulatory change.

Why? All they did was drop the " IS AMATEUR-BUILT" from the current placard. I do hate it though as to me it implies that my aircraft is some how sub-standard.

The "Why" is to somewhat standardize the placard so that a different placard is not required for different category of aircraft. i.e. the same placard works for experimental amateur-built and experimental light-sport aircraft.

The "Why" is to somewhat standardize the placard so that a different placard is not required for different category of aircraft. i.e. the same placard works for experimental amateur-built and experimental light-sport aircraft.

Mel I wasn't asking you why - I asking Tim why.

So is my passenger warning on the panel of my yet to be inspected airplane going to cause an issue with the inspector? I used the old wording.

It should not cause an issue as long as the placard you have "includes" the required wording. The addition of "Amateur-Built" or "Light-Sport" wording should not be a problem. To be sure, you should talk with your inspector before the inspection.

Last edited:
My placard has the old wording

... and I wouldn't change it, because if I did, the second placard beneath it wouldn't make sense.

"The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by amateurs."

A valid question. I just paid for a couple of the old style labels; must I throw them away & buy again, to eliminate the extra words? Or should I just line through them with a sharpie?

;-)

Just a "heads-up", as of September 21st, 2017, new ruling on the Passenger Warning;

Except for single place aircraft, the following placard must be displayed in the aircraft in full view of all occupants: ?PASSENGER WARNING?THIS AIRCRAFT DOES NOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD AIRCRAFT.?

Note that Experimental, Light-Sport, or Amateur-Built is no longer required wording. This makes for a more "standardized" placard.

What's the source for this?

....Just add another sticker that says!
"This superior flying machine is
built far beyond those standards"

....Just add another sticker that says!
"This superior flying machine is
built far beyond those standards"
I've seen similar wording a few times. While somewhat witty, and in many cases the build quality is better than factory, I'd really, really hate to have a plaintiff's attorney asking me or my surviving family members to explain the justification behind such a statement.

... and I wouldn't change it, because if I did, the second placard beneath it wouldn't make sense.

"The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by amateurs."

Seen a number of post placard quips. I like this one. :)

Back