What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Aerobatics Magazine Article

Hawg Driver

Hi Everyone,
At the national championships last year, I was asked if I would be interested in writing an article for the IAC magazine, specifically about getting more RVs involved. First of all, a professional writer I am not. However, I when I started writing my topic drifted, but what it drifted to was still very applicable to RV owners, as well as other aircraft. If you have time to read it, I hope you enjoy.

suwow3.png

fmm553.png

anzuv8.png

2s6x9jm.png

2vt8iko.png

It reads to me you did a pretty good job writing this and I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Acro, RV-4 type

Patrick: nice briefing, thanks for posting. As a -4 builder, wonder if you could comment further on your -4's spin charachteristics, esp. as to pitch attitude, rotation rate, alt. loss/turn, and recovery response.
many thanks, and enjoy your -4.
Doug

old Intruder driver
-4, wings

Doug,
My RV-4 is very light up front. O-320, fixed composite prop, Odyssey battery installed under control panel. Even with the light nose, the pitch attitude is still quite low during a spin (assuming the throttle is idle.). I haven't clocked the rotation but I find it manageable. Certainly faster than a decathlon, but slower than I remember my old T-37 spins. I lose right about 1000' per full rotation of spin. I have GoPro video of my spins on Facebook, just search for Hawg Aviation.

Left spin - aircraft likes to spin to the left, but that also means recovery takes a bit longer (but still not long!). If I am attempting a 360 spin I need to apply spin recovery controls 100 degrees prior to exit heading. After the aircraft has established in a spin (more than a full turn) recovery takes less time, about 45 degrees of heading change.

Right spin - difficult to make spin to the right. It will do it, but not every time, and therefore I can't chance it for competition. Recovery from right spins is much quicker and, in my experience, just to maintain a right spin requires pro-spin inputs.

Haven't explored power on / flat spins.

Patrick: nice briefing, thanks for posting. As a -4 builder, wonder if you could comment further on your -4's spin charachteristics, esp. as to pitch attitude, rotation rate, alt. loss/turn, and recovery response.
many thanks, and enjoy your -4.
Doug

old Intruder driver
-4, wings

Nice article Patric - I read it when it hit the mag.

I lose right about 1000' per full rotation of spin.

So we don't scare anyone who has yet to spin their RV, I think you might mean that you lose about 1000' doing a one-turn spin, including the downline and pullout. Losing 1000' per turn sounds more like something you may have flown for Uncle Sam. :)

So we don't scare anyone who has yet to spin their RV, I think you might mean that you lose about 1000' doing a one-turn spin, including the downline and pullout. Losing 1000' per turn sounds more like something you may have flown for Uncle Sam. :)

Concur completely - for my routine, I plan on exiting the entire maneuver 1,000' below entry for a 1 turn spin.

Thumbs up buddy! Hope to see ya out in Colorado again this year...Air Force Academy contest the end of April! Can't beat that setting.

It's on the schedule but...

I'm now knee deep in inverted systems installation. I hope to be done well before the USAFA event, but lots of life getting in the way. Are you competing?

Thumbs up buddy! Hope to see ya out in Colorado again this year...Air Force Academy contest the end of April! Can't beat that setting.

RVs and acro article

Great article Patric, and always hoping more RVers will come play and find out how much fun we have. The inverted systems will definitely improve your scores. Best of luck to a new 2015 season, and this year's Primary and Sportman Knowns are very RV friendly.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower Alabama :D

Make this article a sticky

I suggest making this article a sticky so that it can be used as reference for basic aerobatic training info like other documents we have for educational purposes.

My other suggestion would be to get it out of its magazine article format and written in an article form here where it can be more easily read.

I believe this can be done but I don't the knowledge or experience of how to make it happen.

But for someone who is willing and has the knowledge to make it happen.....please volunteer if you have the desire to do so.

Glenn Wilkinson

Dagnabbit, Balls! You heard me thinking about taking advantage of the parachute group buy, didn't you?

This, I am afraid, is going to turn into one of those "first taste is free" situations. :)

Cat

I suggest making this article a sticky so that it can be used as reference for basic aerobatic training info like other documents we have for educational purposes.

My other suggestion would be to get it out of its magazine article format and written in an article form here where it can be more easily read.

I believe this can be done but I don't the knowledge or experience of how to make it happen.

But for someone who is willing and has the knowledge to make it happen.....please volunteer if you have the desire to do so.

Glenn Wilkinson

I have the article in word/PDF without the pictures, and would be happy to see it as a sticky in pure text if there is a desire.

Hi Everyone,
At the national championships last year, I was asked if I would be interested in writing an article for the IAC magazine, specifically about getting more RVs involved. First of all, a professional writer I am not. However, I when I started writing my topic drifted, but what it drifted to was still very applicable to RV owners, as well as other aircraft. If you have time to read it, I hope you enjoy.

Very good read.
I have never really thought too much about flying aerobatics in my RV but, as an engineer, I have done a lot of flight testing and plotting data for my RV. I like your approach of learning about yourself AND your RVs capability in a build up (engineering) approach. Makes me consider doing some research, getting some aerobatics training, and then going out to collect data in my RV. Just another reason to increase my aviation fuel budget.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Well...

Yes'r...I've been told I can get hangar space with the rest of you so I plan to fly in. And the girlfriend is coming too...but I think you meant the airplane?? :rolleyes:

Well, I was talking about the one we could take out for a ride... I'll stop there.

Fly south???

Very good read.
I have never really thought too much about flying aerobatics in my RV but, as an engineer, I have done a lot of flight testing and plotting data for my RV. I like your approach of learning about yourself AND your RVs capability in a build up (engineering) approach. Makes me consider doing some research, getting some aerobatics training, and then going out to collect data in my RV. Just another reason to increase my aviation fuel budget.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Well, if you ever come down Arkansas way, give me a shout and we can discuss/fly in person!

Cheers...

Great stuff HD. I'm thinking about starting to compete in my RV-4 and you provided some really good advice.

We have a lot more latitude flying our own planes compared to the ones the military allows us to take up, and with that comes a responsibility to do it right and safely which you clearly have grasped. I'm even motivated now to see what these competitions are all about!

Great stuff HD. I'm thinking about starting to compete in my RV-4 and you provided some really good advice.

We have a lot more latitude flying our own planes compared to the ones the military allows us to take up, and with that comes a responsibility to do it right and safely which you clearly have grasped. I'm even motivated now to see what these competitions are all about!

Appreciate the compliments. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have on getting started. Either on this forum or through messages/phone. Competitions are great fun and the people who go are always exciting to see newbie. They have always made me feel at home.

Cheers,

Patric and all;
I checked out this thread after I started unusual attitude and acro training with Will Allen (the Rock & Roll Airshow Guy) @ Renton Flight.
I enjoyed your process and path, although I would have found it more usable if you had included your speeds and altitude gains/losses etc.
I have a nice light RV-8 180HP FP that I intend to fly acro, however, I started in my wife's RV-4 yesterday, reviewing the Dutch roll, rudder stalls, accelerated stalls, nose figures (square, triangle & circle) spins and aileron rolls.
My lessons were in a Super Decathlon, which led me into the RV. The RV-4 is lighter, faster, more responsive/obedient.
Following up in my own plane (with same type parachute) is really helping put a damper on airsickness and locks in the lesson.
Loops are next on the syllabus, I'm STOKED!
I'll add here that I just turned 60 in May. I was concerned I would become disoriented in unusual attitudes and worried quite a bit before I started lessons. Will has done a great job getting me started and I'm sure I'll be taking many more lessons as I build my skill set.
I hope to be ready to perform Primary in the Ephrata Apple Turnover this fall!

Back