What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New TCW Technologies Product, control valve servo kit

RNewman

Fellow RV builders,

Our new control valve servo kit is now available. This linear actuator servo kit is ideal for controlling heater valves, oil cooler butterfly valves, alternate air doors and other similar damper valves. It provides a very nice way to get rid of those push-pull cables and put a nice control knob for each function in a more convient place in panel.

For all the details visit our web site. www.tcwtech.com
CVS kit (640x348).jpg

Heater_vavle_cvs.jpg

Thanks,
Bob Newman
TCW Technologies
RV-10 N541RV

Would it work to actuate a rudder trim tab? Small enough to fit inside the rudder or the bottom rudder cap?

It looks very nice, but IMHO heat boxes should be mechanically controlled. If you have an engine fire the wires could easily burn thru quickly, leaving you no way to close off the firewall if the heat was already on.

...also, the servos should not be operated above 60 degrees C (140 F) due to a bonding agent (glue). I have visited the Firgelli facilities, met with the principals and extensively investigated these servos, including the internals. I think they are fine for most applications aft of the firewall.

Don't shoot the messenger!

I've been thinking about this approach for a few years too. I'm not a fan of putting servos in an area where there is extreme heat. However, this could easily be installed behind the panel and used to actuate a regular type push/pull cable.

I think that would be a great fit.

Phil

Just use the bypass valve with the cabin-side controls and it should work fine.

Can the servo be connected to a position indicator like the one a RAC trim servo?

1) We are not recommending the servos for use in control surfaces, they only have 2.5 lbs of drive force and are back driveable if you over force them.

2) No means for connecting them to an separate indictator, however, since the control is closed loop and fully proportional, the line on the knob (provided) shows the relative position of the servo.

3) Regarding temp, although we have published the manufacture's specification on temp (+70C), we did our own testing up to 140 C, for 2000 hrs of continuous exposure and found no measureable degradation in any operating parameter. Also, I have been running 4 of these servos on my RV-10 firewall forward. (2 for heat, 1 for oil cooling, 1 for alternate air)

Thanks for all the input!

Bob

Back