What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAP26 Pitot retrofit install in RV-7?

David Carter

Well Known Member
Patron
Can anyone point me to an outline of the steps involved in replacing my current homemade pitot tube with the GAP26 using the Gretz mount? I bought my plane flying so don't have the familiarity a builder would have.

I have a good grasp on the electrical & found good information on here about the pitot & AOA plumbing connections. What I need help with is the mechanical portion - cuts required, doublers, attachment hardware, etc. including mounting the control box.

I've searched the forums and didn't find this. I found someone asking the same question for the RV-8 with no responses.

Thanks!

David,
Plenty of info in the archives,. I have retrofitted the Garmin and Dynon units using Gretz & Dynon mounting kits. Simple and straight forward per the instructions, but will involve cutting the necessary mast hole in the wing and some riveting. The control box can be mounted to the outboard inspection panel just inboard of the mast mounting. Installation can be accomplished in a few hours if you are proficient in sheet metal/flush riveting. If not, get some help as this is not a task for beginners.

Back