What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch Shutdown

Mark H

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what the Sys Watchdog Timeout is on the G3X Touch? I found it under Main Menu/Diagnosis/Shutdowns. I can't find anything in the Installation Manual or Pilot Guide that mentions it, and Garmin has not replied to me yet.

Twice now I have had an issue with my PFD. During the flights I lost the synthetic vision and the display becomes pretty much unresponsive to inputs. I immediately thought I had lost GPS signal, but that was not the case. The satellite connections were strong and I had no warnings regarding a loss of signal. When I checked the flight data later to see if there were any clues as to what happened, I found there was no flight data recorded past the time of the incident. The shutdown event recorded on this screenshot appears to be during the flight when this first happen, although I don't know what this is recording because I did not experience a complete shutdown of the PFD. The ADAHRS appeared to still be working and the screen remained on the rest of the flight.

I was going to reload the latest software for the GDU460, but does anyone know how to force a reload? Since I am running the latest version it does not give me an option to load the software when I insert the SD card. Again, there is no information in the manuals for how to do that.

Thanks, guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 152
A Sys watchdog (on embedded systems I have worked on, not necessarily avionics) is a process that keeps checking to see if things are responsive and if not, will force a reboot. It’s basically an auto-reboot process when there is a hang.

Seeing this suggests to me that your screen hung in some fashion and the system noticed, and rebooted itself so you would have a working system again ASAP.

Again, I don’t work on avionics so I could be totally wrong here.

G3X Diagnostics

Does anyone know what the Sys Watchdog Timeout is on the G3X Touch? I found it under Main Menu/Diagnosis/Shutdowns. I can't find anything in the Installation Manual or Pilot Guide that mentions it, and Garmin has not replied to me yet.

Twice now I have had an issue with my PFD. During the flights I lost the synthetic vision and the display becomes pretty much unresponsive to inputs. I immediately thought I had lost GPS signal, but that was not the case. The satellite connections were strong and I had no warnings regarding a loss of signal. When I checked the flight data later to see if there were any clues as to what happened, I found there was no flight data recorded past the time of the incident. The shutdown event recorded on this screenshot appears to be during the flight when this first happen, although I don't know what this is recording because I did not experience a complete shutdown of the PFD. The ADAHRS appeared to still be working and the screen remained on the rest of the flight.

I was going to reload the latest software for the GDU460, but does anyone know how to force a reload? Since I am running the latest version it does not give me an option to load the software when I insert the SD card. Again, there is no information in the manuals for how to do that.

Thanks, guys!

Hi Mark,

In this same menu, if your press the MENU button, you will have an option to write the full shutdown log to an SD card. Please copy the files to your computer and forward the full log to us when you are able to, and we can take a look at them to help determine what the problem is.

Thanks,

Justin

Back