What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Counterweight Loose

joe81jmu

I'm New Here
After days of wind and rain here in Houston we finally had some sunshine. While preflighting the airplane I noticed that the screws that attach the rudder counterweight had come loose. I grabbed a screwdriver and quickly realized that a few twists of the wrist aren't going to solve this problem....

Unfortunately, the nut and washer on the other end don't have anything preventing them from just twisting in the socket.

Since there is no access I'm guessing drilling two holes in the top of the cap big enough to get a socket though is the best solution?

i-h5NBKDM-M.jpg

Google "lowes hole plug" will show you a number of simple options. Most would need painting.

Also might add some loctite to the threads to help keep things from loosening again.

Greg

I would think that the main issue is that we're tightening up to lead. The softness of that metal will always allow it to shape-shift somewhat when exposed to external forces. That leads me to believe that locktite won't permanently solve the problem, and could make it more difficult to retighten. I even considered encasing my counterweight, or installing a bushing that the bolt, nut and washers would cinch up to. I'll have to watch it like a hawk, I guess... or perhaps glass it in place before closing up the top.

counter weight bolts

Best solution, open to access the nuts and remove them. Make a strip of aluminum with 2 nut plates attached at the correct spacing for the bolts. slip that back in and you can permanently repair the opening.

Best solution, open to access the nuts and remove them. Make a strip of aluminum with 2 nut plates attached at the correct spacing for the bolts. slip that back in and you can permanently repair the opening.

Genious thank you for idea Pete! I am unable to retorque one screw I wish I knew the trick while building.

And if you use floating nutplates on the alum. strip it would be much easier to fabricate.

f5000anchornutm.jpg

This is what I did for the slider canopy tracks where access to the nuts are also a pain, but an even better idea for the rudder counterweight!

Since I just finished countersinking the lead counterweight last night and have yet to secure the bolts through the lead weight and install the whole thing, I’m trying to wrap my head around this idea as to what this would look like??

Would the aluminum strip just rest on the top of the counterweight??

Since I just finished countersinking the lead counterweight last night and have yet to secure the bolts through the lead weight and install the whole thing, I’m trying to wrap my head around this idea as to what this would look like??

They are in the latest plans for the RV-8 rudder.

Attachments

• rudder nut plates.jpg
    rudder nut plates.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 220
Great thanks! I keep forgetting my tail kit is from 2011 so I'm using those plans but I need to crosscheck the latest plans for stuff like this!

EDIT: I just check my preview plans that I bought at the end of 2016 and even those don't have this little addition, thanks again for sharing.

EDIT #2: I just checked the little thumb drive that I bought from Van's last year with all the kit plans on it and it is on that one!

Last edited:

Basically yes. When I finished my Emp 18 months ago, I had a little strip of alclad, and a couple of nutplates left over that didn't seem to fit anywhere. I racked my brain, searched the drawings & plans, then eventually contacted Van's about the leftover parts. These turned out to be the aluminium strip & nutplates for securing the rudder counterweight, though they also said it wasn't worth stripping the rudder top to install it now, but to keep an eye on those screws. R-00001 was the part number.

R-00001.JPG

Here you can just see the nut plate installed on the rudder.

Attachments

• 987A2913-A368-40C7-A39D-EFD2EDC6EE9F.jpg
    987A2913-A368-40C7-A39D-EFD2EDC6EE9F.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 165
Back