What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Curious Audio Panel Problem

Paddy

Well Known Member
Took the family on our longest trip yet in the 10 last weekend from Chicago to NJ... what a fantastic machine! Everything went great except for what appears to be an audio panel snag that popped up about 10 min before the end of our return leg. Kids in back, wife in right seat - here's what happened:
I'm talking to ATC, wife hits isolate button to talk to kids.
Kids handled, wife turns off isolate and I can no longer hear her, or my own side tone in intercom. I can hear radios and I can transmit (with side tone), but I can't hear the passengers or copilot on the intercom.
Equipment: Garmin GMA 240, GTN 650 & GTR 200.
Any ideas before I send the audio panel out for service?

Took the family on our longest trip yet in the 10 last weekend from Chicago to NJ... what a fantastic machine! Everything went great except for what appears to be an audio panel snag that popped up about 10 min before the end of our return leg. Kids in back, wife in right seat - here's what happened:
I'm talking to ATC, wife hits isolate button to talk to kids.
Kids handled, wife turns off isolate and I can no longer hear her, or my own side tone in intercom. I can hear radios and I can transmit (with side tone), but I can't hear the passengers or copilot on the intercom.
Equipment: Garmin GMA 240, GTN 650 & GTR 200.
Any ideas before I send the audio panel out for service?

Turn off / on, take in / out of the tray, push buttons to ISO and not ISO again - and see if you can repeat the failure or get it to go back to normal. If not, then maybe an issue, but it also could just be a sticky button or loose pin or something.

Cheers,
Stein

+1 on Stein's advice.
Also, could the wife and kids still talk to each other after this 'event'? If the answer is 'no', then the box may have gone into its fail-safe mode. Check CB and power and ground wiring, and, at your own risk (if still under warantee) open up the 240 and check the internal fuse.

It's back to normal

Thanks for the input folks. I went to try the various remedies and when I turned it on, the audio panel was back to working normally again - go figure... I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it acts up again.

Back