What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traffic Solutions GTX 345R and GTS 800

milestogo

I am pairing a GTX 345R with my G3X touch and GTN 750. It's nice that the GTX 345R will display TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather on both the G3X touch and the GTN 750 simultaneously (unlike the GTX 45R).

It's a little confusing about what added benefit if any I would get from an active monitoring solution like the GTS 800. What traffic does the GTS-800 add that the GTX 345R cannot see?

The GTX traffic and GTS Traffic solutions are wholly different animals. While in the range of ground based TIS/ADSB traffic the end result will likely be similar though. That said, most likely anywhere you go without either of those options will leave you entirely void of traffic that the GTS (being an active traffic system) will likely notice. The GTX relies on a ground station of some sort (be it radar or ADSB), the GTS does not. In the majority of the continental US when in range of a station/radar, no issue....it's when you're out of rage of either (or out of the US) where the other options become popular.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I am pairing a GTX 345R with my G3X touch and GTN 750. It's nice that the GTX 345R will display TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather on both the G3X touch and the GTN 750 simultaneously (unlike the GTX 45R).

It's a little confusing about what added benefit if any I would get from an active monitoring solution like the GTS 800. What traffic does the GTS-800 add that the GTX 345R cannot see?

Hello MilestoGo,

Not sure who told you that a GTX 45R will not provide ADS-B traffic and weather to both your G3X Touch displays AND your GTN 750, but that is incorrect. As shown on page 24-21 of the Rev. AA G3X Installation Manual, the GTX 45R can do this easily and actually uses an ethernet interface to provide traffic and weather to the GTN 750.

The GTX 45R receives GPS position for its ADS-B Out from the GTN 750 over this same Ethernet interface. This is really a slick setup.

The ADS-B receiver in the GTX 345/345R/45R is a dual frequency receiver that can directly see (air-to-air) ALL ADS-B Out traffic whether they are transmitting on 978 Mhz or 1090 Mhz, but it must receive assistance in the form of TIS-B uplinks from ADS-B ground stations to see aircraft that are not ADS-B Out and only have Mode C transponders.

The GTS 800, on the other hand, actively interrogates all transponders and can thus see more traffic when operating in areas or altitudes when ADS-B ground stations are not able to provide the TIS-B uplink of Mode C targets.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks! It seems I misinterpreted the table Brian sent earlier. You just "can't configure and control" the GTX 45R via the GTN like the GTX 345R.

nrfk6BjuKE6tGrjAAfNbJKIGqCOb9TNABiRpfwJrICIx7O0xmt_8b3nPrtV3jVVfch0SoTXEbtDPpeBXlQMp58qHX_vFGbVALkgPb4_6_tblJ8l-om7qIFyZUd4fW8Na3lnL1uO_WxnFiRk-xldcl6jiW6LiTQrhP8PNmicIRt2rj4zolL48gXDvPr5gIc21XHjOjJ1JPcwSCjOSvZCxSWU_JvNh3l8NEWQ3scLroiSPm91_mD9HrvOuBn21kDtcXxajavzqJirDsUA8-xg_0HARv1KvYxxE97nOqrKDr52el0_yJvC9AsJ2oi81CsFo_Jj-z3zMRdoJqXVxPxYuafTVizrvKBcN97fsoMKvx0kmIRhHYgD97U24_ejSPw1TJqV81CGxbIEAbSf1dC3gAZ6C9naumsvKP1OsbiR9EgWG4_z9-d9kKIIDCmi13A10xrfPQ8mPYq8fenWDmgKOzUsX4JrdkPt0lXDC3Lj4_915k9s5-oTLGqQTM4sU6ceZZr4Q3rOPjLVnF_4ODRCvINaSWI0pHu73ykDxBfrjEaSBVrV_O_kLs5urpwDzWtQ89SVxtyGTY-GEDo4LRR4Cd0TwnrIuTKc=w994-h201-no

Hard to know if the GTS-800 is worth the added cost. I do a lot of cross country in the US and eventually Europe.

Hello MilestoGo,
The GTS 800, on the other hand, actively interrogates all transponders and can thus see more traffic when operating in areas or altitudes when ADS-B ground stations are not able to provide the TIS-B uplink of Mode C targets.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Will Garmin offer an 'Experimental' version of the GTS 800?

Call it the GTS 80R :) Actually, just combine the 45R and the GTS 800. I realize they are different animals technically but from a solution standpoint, the two would basically give you everything you need in transponder/ADS-B/Traffic when combined with a WAAS GPS (i.e. GTN series).

Back