What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Counterfeit Dynon cables?

ctennis

Well Known Member
Over the past 18 months I've been piecing together my Dynon system from Aircraft Spruce. One of the parts I ordered was the SV-NET-15CP, a 15 foot premade 9 pin cable that has pins only on one end that you can run through conduit holes, then put into the DSUB connector after its in place.

A few weeks ago as I was firing everything up for the first time I went to finish that cable, but I couldn't find the color code info as to which pin was which. The other end is in the rear of the plane and hard to reach, so I wasn't looking to Ohm it out if I could help it. I was unable to find any reference in the Dynon manual as to the wiring color code.

So, I called Dynon support, who pointed me to the manual, and a specific page. I told him the colors on my wires don't match the colors in the manual. He said if they didn't match, what I had wasn't a Dynon cable. That's shocking, because I still have the invoice right here from Spruce! And the cable says "Skyview Network 15'".

I forwarded pics upon request to Dynon Support, but didn't hear back. So yesterday I re-pinged them. The best I've gotten is that they don't make any cable with the colors of wires I have in the picture.

I was able to Ohm out the cable, and it works fine as part of my Skyview network, but...buyer beware if you've bought cables from Aircraft Spruce like I did.

FGo6SpB.jpg

A6xHzHp.jpg

ACS now offers "custom cables", so maybe ACS made the cable even though you thought you were purchasing a cable supplied by Dynon?? I'd call ACS next.

It's fairly likely those aren't actually Dynon (or SteinAir) produced cables as there are several obvious give-aways. The pins, the sticker on it, the incorrect wire color coding, etc...

Cheers,
Stein

It's fairly likely those aren't actually Dynon (or SteinAir) produced cables as there are several obvious give-aways. The pins, the sticker on it, the incorrect wire color coding, etc...

That being said, they do indeed appear to be mil spec pins and appropriate wire. If the wire is imprinted with the 22759/16 spec and is of the correct gauge as specified by Dynon, I'd have absolutely no hesitation using it on my aircraft. I bet ACS can even provide you with their color code standard.

I bought a replacement harness for my Dynon D100 from Aircraft Spruce last year or so......and it came in all white wires....I was not pleased because it didn't match the color coding called out in the Dynon installation manual, but I didn't return it. I just ohmed it out and labeled each wire.

What goes on the end?

Hey there

What kind of fitting goes on the end? I have servos on the elevator and the wing. I ordered the cable and didnt receive ends?

Can someone tell or better show me a pic on what goes on the ends?

Dave

Hey there

What kind of fitting goes on the end? I have servos on the elevator and the wing. I ordered the cable and didnt receive ends?

Can someone tell or better show me a pic on what goes on the ends?

Dave

If you are asking in reference to this photo

FGo6SpB.jpg

Then the answer would most likely be a dsub 9. Here is one from Stein. http://www.steinair.com/product/9-pin-female-dsub-connector-with-4-40-lugs/

SA-DB9FN-FACE-ANGLED-L-DSC00760.jpg

You will most likely also need the back shell, also from Stein.

SA-1020-BACKSHELL-DSUB9-L-DSC09851.jpg

And, while you are at it, get a insertion/removal tool-----guess who sells it ;)

SAT-023-INSERTION-EXTRACTION-TOOL-RED-WHT-L.jpg

And the cable says "Skyview Network 15'".
And that is exactly right, a Skyview Network 15 cable. Nowhere does it say it is a DYNON Skyview Network 15 cable which would tend to indicate it was built by DYNON. The devil is in the details. ;)

Another option

There is nothing magical about Dynon SkyView network cables. You can make your own if you mind the need to have the data lines twisted.

Data is on pins 1, 6, 4 and 8. For these two pairs you can use a single four conductor, 22 gauge shielded wire like this: http://www.steinair.com/product/22-ga-4-conductor-shielded/

Power and ground are on pins 2, 7, 3 and 9. Here you can again use the same type of single four conductor shielded wire.

The remaining pin, #5 is for EMS aux voltage. Here a single #22 wire is fine.

Buy some pins, pin crimp tool and D connectors from Stein and you have custom made SKyView network cables.

Carl

Is this really the state of experimental building? The documented color of a manufactured wire? I'm not an old fart (I don't think), but still amazed.

I made all of my own cables except this one, as I bought it for convenience at the same time I was buying other hardware. It's one of the first cables I installed in the fuselage to run to the back to my ADAHRS unit.

The color code of the wire doesn't bother me. It's that I bought part number "SV-NET-15CP" for $55 from Aircraft Spruce, listed on the Dynon Avionics page, and which is marketed as a Dynon part (and says so on the invoice..I still have it). What I got was a cable that someone else made. When I ordered, I didn't say "substitute in something equivalent".

My intent of the post was just to pass the info along for anyone else who may be buying these cables from Spruce.

If you price out the parts that make up a cable like that, you'll see that there's a decent opportunity to either save some money if you make your own or make a few bucks if you're in the business of selling avionics.

The Skyview manual describes these cables fairly well, and they aren't that hard to make. If you're new to it, as I was, they do take a bit of time. But it's always fun to learn a new skill.

Caveat - I'm building an RV-3B so my concept of how easy something is or fast a process is might be different than other people's.

Dave

One thing that you should confirm, are the appropriate wire pairs for data twisted. I believe Dynon calls that out as required.

Aircraft Spruce

Aircraft spruce has a whole department that makes harnesses for all sorts of avionics. I got a harness for a Garmin radio made by them and I was really happy with it.

There is nothing magical about Dynon SkyView network cables. You can make your own if you mind the need to have the data lines twisted.

Data is on pins 1, 6, 4 and 8. For these two pairs you can use a single four conductor, 22 gauge shielded wire like this: http://www.steinair.com/product/22-ga-4-conductor-shielded/

Power and ground are on pins 2, 7, 3 and 9. Here you can again use the same type of single four conductor shielded wire.

The remaining pin, #5 is for EMS aux voltage. Here a single #22 wire is fine.

Buy some pins, pin crimp tool and D connectors from Stein and you have custom made SKyView network cables.

Carl

I made my own cables and I twisted two of the pairs but Dynon did not call out for the others to be shielded. Did I miss something?

I made my own cables and I twisted two of the pairs but Dynon did not call out for the others to be shielded. Did I miss something?

Shielded wire is not necessary, but it is a boat load simpler than trying to twist wires together (the wires are twisted in the cable) and it is easy to install in conduits and such.

Carl

Please excuse my ignorance as I haven't looked into any of the instrument systems yet but if you need to make cables with twisted pairs, couldn't you use CAT-5 or CAT-6 network cable?

Please excuse my ignorance as I haven't looked into any of the instrument systems yet but if you need to make cables with twisted pairs, couldn't you use CAT-5 or CAT-6 network cable?

Recommend not using this type of wire as you should stay with Tefzel type wire.

Stein also sells already twisted wire if that is your preference.

Carl

CAT-5 and CAT-6 network cable is typically SOLID copper wire. SOLID wire is not used in aircraft because the vibration makes them brittle.

Is this really the state of experimental building? The documented color of a manufactured wire? I'm not an old fart (I don't think), but still amazed.

Use any colors you want. The reason to document them is for troubleshooting or modification. If it is a short run and both ends are accessible you can use all white and buzz 'em out if you have to.
Or, like Red Green says "If you're made of money" you can use white and laser mark 'em...

CAT-5 and CAT-6 network cable is typically SOLID copper wire. SOLID wire is not used in aircraft because the vibration makes them brittle.

Hmm... I thought it was also available as stranded but if not proper jacketed (ie. Tefzel) then it wouldn't matter.

Cheers,

Hmm... I thought it was also available as stranded but if not proper jacketed (ie. Tefzel) then it wouldn't matter.

Cheers,

Yes, network cable is also available stranded. More than the jacket material, this wire is the wrong gauge as well.

Making cables

The best way to deal with Dynon network cables is to make half your own.

The vendors only sell specific lengths of Dynon network cables. The length of the cables you need will all have to be selected longer than you want. This results in a mess behind that perfect instrument panel.

So, figure your ideal lengths for each cable based on an optimum routing and interconnection scheme. Remember, network cables don't care which order they connect all the parts. Now do sone simple math. Add two cable lengths together, say, for example 12.5 and 17.8". Equals 30.3". Buy a 36" cable and make it into two exactly correct lengths. Pinning the one end and making up Dsubs is real simple.

Stein has great prices on Dsub tools and parts.

Not all vendors sell specific lengths. We often build them to order with a more flexible snakeskin sleeve when requested...same cost as the pre-made rigid cables.

As a result, we also stock and sell all the appropriate (correctly color coded and twisted pairs) for you to easily make your own cables along with the connectors/pins/shells if you desire and you can easily purchase those piece parts online.

Cheers,
Stein

Oh...and yeah...just forget about using Ethernet cable (even the stranded stuff)...

Just as an update, Spruce reached out and confirmed that they did substitute in one of their own custom made cables. I suggested they make this more apparent during the ordering process and also in the received product, and they concurred.

Issue solved!

Back