What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nexus 7 GPS dead

apatti

Well Known Member
Anyone else having trouble with their Nexus 7 GPS? Mine cannot get a lock; only occasionally "sees" any satellites. Makes my Garmin Pilot less useful. Research shows that there were some software update issues at one time. But, I think I have the latest.

Mine is a 32gb 1st generation Nexus 7 and the GPS has always been surprisingly good. The only time I've had any issue getting satellites locked up quickly was in a larger aircraft with a bunch of metal and electrical panels overhead. It would match the onboard FMS perfectly after aquiring, and it works perfectly in the RV.

I'd start with simply rebooting if you haven't done that. Then checking the the software version. Mine is currently Android 4.4.2, kernel 3.1.10-g4776c68, build KOT49H.

Good luck.

Anyone else having trouble with their Nexus 7 GPS? Mine cannot get a lock; only occasionally "sees" any satellites. Makes my Garmin Pilot less useful. Research shows that there were some software update issues at one time. But, I think I have the latest.

Not just the GPS - my entire Nexus 7 died. One day working fine, put on the charger, and never woke up the next day. All the Google instructions to resuscitate didn't help.

Shakes my confidence in the platform a bit.

Mine is a 32gb 1st generation Nexus 7 and the GPS has always been surprisingly good. The only time I've had any issue getting satellites locked up quickly was in a larger aircraft with a bunch of metal and electrical panels overhead. It would match the onboard FMS perfectly after aquiring, and it works perfectly in the RV.

I'd start with simply rebooting if you haven't done that. Then checking the the software version. Mine is currently Android 4.4.2, kernel 3.1.10-g4776c68, build KOT49H.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, mine has always been surprisingly good as well; until recently, that is. I also have 4.4.2 and build KOT49H (not sure about the Kernel). I have powered off and back on several times. Is that what you mean by rebooting. The only other "restart" option I saw was something that would erase all of my data. Hoping to save that as a last resort kind of thing.

After I had mine for a few months it locked up. I couldn't, unlock the opening screen. It had just been working fine two minutes before. Had to send it in under warranty but was disappointed when it was returned without an explanation of what the problem was. I would like to have known if it was a hardware or software problem.
Makes me reluctant to use it as a sole source of sectionals, approach plates, etc.
Mine is a gen 1. 32G. It has been working fine for the last 5-6 months.

JimS

My family has now owned five Nexus 7s, a mix of 2012 and 2013s.

I have run into the dreaded "it died and won't restart" twice, both on 2012 editions. The fix is so simple that I did a head slap both times:

Hold the power button in for 30 seconds.

Really! That clear starts the machine, and fixes the issue.

My family has now owned five Nexus 7s, a mix of 2012 and 2013s.

I have run into the dreaded "it died and won't restart" twice, both on 2012 editions. The fix is so simple that I did a head slap both times:

Hold the power button in for 30 seconds.

Really! That clear starts the machine, and fixes the issue.

Yep, that's one step in the 10-ish step program to try to get a dead unit working again. Unfortunately this sort of failure is so common that Google had to put out a video with remedies to try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzBQsMI5AEI

Having to monkey around with the unit like this means it was designed pretty poorly. I bought mine in high hopes that it would be a less expensive way to get a decent chart utility into the cockpit on a tablet. And it worked great at first. Apparently the old adage, "you get what you pay for," seems to still be holding true.

Well, we've used the Nexus 7 in the cockpit since its inception, and never had a failure -- so there is that.

The two units (both 2012 versions) we had that would not restart normally were both left on until the battery was totally drained. We have learned to charge em up before they are 100% dead, and have never experienced the problem again.

The 2013 edition I use has never burped.

Considering the power and utility of these sub-$200 tablets, and the fact that they are almost disposable (compared to the obscenely overpriced i-Thingies), I am very satisfied with them.

Battery drain issue

I noticed my 2013 will drain the battery itself if left off uncharged for a week or so. Is there a way to really turn it off so this does not happen? Also, what is your favorite aviation software package for this android?

I noticed my 2013 will drain the battery itself if left off uncharged for a week or so. Is there a way to really turn it off so this does not happen? Also, what is your favorite aviation software package for this android?

I haven't taken the time to figure out how to shut down all the background operations that slowly eat the battery. The obvious things to shut down are pretty easy to do -- turn off Bluetooth, Wifi, and location services (GPS).

Otherwise, I just lay it on my wireless charger when it needs juice. :)

For aviation, we use two apps:

1. GRT App. This allows your Nexus 7 to reproduce the GRT Horizon HXr's display in the back seat. It is WONDERFUL, giving the back seat of an RV-8 a complete REAL EFIS.

2. Garmin Pilot. We have run Pilot since its inception in 2012, and it has matured into a great app. The Nexus 7's ability to multi-task means you can run both of these apps simultaneously, toggling back and forth between them as needed. It's a great set up.

We have the Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver as well, which gives us traffic and weather for free in Garmin Pilot (you attach the Nexus 7 to the GDL-39 via Bluetooth.). Now that we have this same (and more) capability in the GRT Horizon, this is sort of redundant, but it does allow the back seater to see weather and traffic, too. (The GRT's app currently only displays the basic EFIS, sans traffic and weather. We're hoping that they add that capability to the app, over time.)

The Nexus 7/GDL-39 combo is the best, most cost-effective navigation/weather/traffic tool on the market, IMHO.

I have had great success with my 1st gen nexus 7. I have had no issues with the GPS. The only thing I can mention is it seems the latest build update confused me a bit. It changed the look and action of the button I use to turn off/on the gps, so I wasnt sure at first if it was even on.

If you consider it an important navigation tool I would suggest that you keep it a "clean machine" I bought my nexus for one important reason only, navigation. Therefore I only installed 1 app, the navigation app. I don't browse the internet, don't download games, or do other useless things. I do not want to contaminate the system with any useless backround processes or malicious software (other than that provided by google haha).

The Nexus 7/GDL-39 combo is the best, most cost-effective navigation/weather/traffic tool on the market, IMHO.

Jay, I have to disagree a bit. For weather this is fine, but for traffic you really need the information right in front of you - which for you means on the EFIS. After all, most of the time your eyes are outside, so you need the traffic where it is seen in a quick glance. Unfortunately the GDL-39 won't talk to the GRT due to propriatary issues. I would recommend any of a number of ADSB-in boxes which talk to both your HXr and send wireless output to an appropriate display (I use WingX but there are others).

Jay, I have to disagree a bit. For weather this is fine, but for traffic you really need the information right in front of you - which for you means on the EFIS. After all, most of the time your eyes are outside, so you need the traffic where it is seen in a quick glance. Unfortunately the GDL-39 won't talk to the GRT due to propriatary issues. I would recommend any of a number of ADSB-in boxes which talk to both your HXr and send wireless output to an appropriate display (I use WingX but there are others).

No worries -- I have a Skyradar ADS-B receiver hard-wired to the Horizon for traffic IN, and GRT's Mode S transponder for ADS-B out.

We are lighting up the sky wherever we go. :D

The Nexus 7/GDL-39 is just for the back seater.

Nexus 7 2012

I have been using the 2012 (early) Nexus 7 for a couple years now and have never had dead screen. Just have to monitor the battery indicator and charge it before it hits 10%. I use AVARE for navigation and planning, it is FREE from the Play Store and it is regularly being upgraded with improvements. Sectionals, Plates, TAC charts, WAC charts, IFR Low charts, A/FD, Terrain, Weather, TFRs all updated FREE at the regular cycles. Find your destination and it gives you a magenta line with Horizontal Deviation indicator as well as Vertical Deviation on Approach. Even gives you distances rings for your airspeed. Did I saw it was FREE?

The newer 2013 version has a much brighter display and a front and back camera. The early model has only a front camera.

Last edited:

To turn off: Hold power button until you get a shutdown prompt. Say "yes" or "shutdown" (I forget what the wording is right now and don't have my wife's 7 handy).

Favorite App: Air Navigation Pro is my choice, I need something that works in Canada. Most of the others don't have *any* map data north of the 49th, ANP has free data that is "good enough" for VFR work.

FYI - In Canada the ANP maps are based on OpenStreetmap (which gives coastlines, major roads, other ground features), Airspace from the Designated Airspace Handbook (free from Transport Canada), and frequency information obtained from a separate free database. All have been current and accurate as long as i've used ANP. Personally I find the maps on ANP easier to read than the paper maps. In Canada, it's only necessary that you *know* all of the information relative to your flight, it's not necessary for you to physically carry current maps or a current flight supplement. I compare the ANP map to a paper map once in a while just to be sure.

Last edited:
As a fellow Canuck, I sympathize with Rob's plight. After asking the question of several Android aviation app developers, the only positive response I received was from Avilution. Their response led me to believe that we should see Canadian charts available for Avilution within the next 30-60 days. This will be a game changer, but not without cost, thanks to Nav Canada's insistence on both a heft fee as well as a huge insurance policy to be taken out by the app developer.

My late-2012 Nexus 7 has a fantastic GPS in it so I'm looking forward to being able to use it to navigate using Canadian charts. Then I'll be able to do away with the trusty Lowrance 2000c that's in my panel. It, too, has proven to be a terrific GPS with a super-simple user interface. If I could get a nav data update for it I'd never even think of using anything else. Alas, nav data is no longer available, so I'm holding my breath in hopes Avilution carries through with their plan.

Back