What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airports near ballparks

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Wondering if anyone knows of a site or other research that documents general aviation airports that might be within a short hop of major league (or a good minor league) ballparks?

I'm planning on hitting Cleveland's Burke Lakefront soon. But what about Kansas City? Anything?

Also, has anyone ever organized fly-out/ins to catch a game?

Cool idea

This is one of my bucket list items. I'd like to attend as many MLB parks as possible. I thought of doing it in two phases. An East Coast swing and then a West Coast swing.

I love baseball!!!!

Autozone park in Memphis is pretty close to DeWitt Spain airport, just a few miles north of downtown. Autozone is supposed to be one of the nicest minor league parks around, and it's a neat place to spend a few hours. Lots of food options within walking distance of the park, plus Beale Street. I think the airport has a courtesy car available, or you can just take a taxi to downtown and back. No need for a car if you're spending the day downtown.

You should put Clearwater, FL on your list. That is the spring training park for the Phillies. There are many other ballparks in Florida set up for each club so you could research your favorite clubs park.

IF you are feeling BOLD you could land PHL to catch the Phillies but be prepared to pay a landing fee. A cab ride couldn't be more than $20 for a 5-10 minute ride to the ballpark.

You could land at PDK or FTY here in Atlanta and drive to Turner Field in about 20 minutes or so.

The Sugar Land Skeeters, new minor league baseball team in Sugar Land, Texas (in the Houston, TX metro area)... The Skeeters brand new stadium is right across the street from KSGR. Hard to get good seats this season...

Enjoy.

Victor

San Francisco

Try AT&T Park in San Francisco, there is actually a ferry terminal right across the street from Oakland International Airport. The ferry will drop you off at the ballpark (McCovey Cove) right before the game and pick you up 30 minutes after the last out. Its a really cool experiance at one of the best ballparks in the country.

IF you are feeling BOLD you could land PHL to catch the Phillies but be prepared to pay a landing fee. A cab ride couldn't be more than $20 for a 5-10 minute ride to the ballpark.

And if you're feeling really bold you can land at Sky Harbor in Phoenix and maybe even walk to Chase Field, where the Diamondbacks play. Tony can give you the rundown on landing at PHX.

Oakland Coliseum is on the extended right 45 for 27R at the North Field of KOAK. When you come in from the VFR reporting point at the Mormon Temple they always tell you to avoid overflying the stadium when there's a game on.

Comiskey Park isn't hard to get to from Midway. Wrigley Field isn't hard to get to from Palwaukee ...err... Chicago Executive.

Not walking distance

And if you're feeling really bold you can land at Sky Harbor in Phoenix and maybe even walk to Chase Field, where the Diamondbacks play. Tony can give you the rundown on landing at PHX.

This isn't walking distance but if you go to Swift Aviation they will shuttle you over there. Good people.

It's 116 right now. Not walking weather for even us seasoned veterans:eek:

Also for minor leagues and spring training, Goodyear Arizona (home of the Indians and Reds) has an airport practically a homerun away (or in the case of the Indians, a wild pitch)

Hmm...that's funny. I didn't see any ballparks in the area when I stopped in. Wonder how I could have missed it. :D

Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport is on an island nearly directly in front of Rogers Centre, where the Blue Jays play. Take the 120 meter ferry ride and you can pretty much walk to the ballpark

Back