What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's on your aviation bucket list??

pilotian

Well Known Member
- Flying a Pitts over some body of water while doing every aerobatic maneuver know to man.

- Fly in an air show.

- Fly this RV-8 for the first time after I built it with my own two hands.

- Feeling the sense of accomplishment while landing on the green dot for the first time during AirVenture.

- Fly in the Alaska bush, and land on a snow ridden airport with a taildragger decked out in skis.

- Landing in every of the 50 states.

- Own a Cessna 195

- etc.....

With aviation, comes the desire to explore. With RV's, comes the opportunity and ability to explore. And with each individual aviator, comes personal quests, desires, and dream flights that they always have wanted to do. Whether it is flying to a cool restaurant or doing a real cross the country trip, each thing is unique to every pilot. I have always had a document on my computer that was titled "My Bucket List", although it has a combination of everything I want to do before I kicked the bucket.... You can bet it has a majority of aviation related items. I got to thinking, surely I am not the only pilot that has some sort of aviation desire yet to be filled.

I am a realist, but when it comes to aviation it is hard not to be a dreamer sometimes. I look at these things as merely tasks I have yet to do, they will get done just in good time.

So there it is, now the real question is.... What is on your Aviation Bucket List???

:D

As soon as you finish your RV-8, you're going to start knocking some of your list down pretty quick. Oshkosh will be a thrill! First time you do a roll and a loop will blow your mind (make sure you have an experienced RV instructor to get you familiar with this!).

I like to visit new airports. Doesn't really matter where! I'd like to bag every public use airport in Washington State. I also make a point of trying to stop at different airports during cross-country flights.

I keep track of each airport using Google Maps. I use a different color pin every year to mark the first time I've landed at each airport. I can do a short description - who I was with, where I was going, what I was doing - attached to each pin.

I also use a pin on my map to show places I'd like to visit. These green "thumbtacks" on my Google Map give me quick reminders of airports that are on my list. If I'm looking for somewhere to go, I'll check out the list to see what is within my acceptable range.

My Google Map

My bucket list?

Build and fly an RV.
Fly a merlin engined Spitfire.
DH. Mosquito.
Avro Lancaster
Hawker Hunter
N.A. Sabre
Learn aerobatics, for the RV, and Spit;)
Do some bush flying.

Oh well...............

As soon as you finish your RV-8, you're going to start knocking some of your list down pretty quick. Oshkosh will be a thrill! First time you do a roll and a loop will blow your mind (make sure you have an experienced RV instructor to get you familiar with this!).

I like to visit new airports. Doesn't really matter where! I'd like to bag every public use airport in Washington State. I also make a point of trying to stop at different airports during cross-country flights.

I keep track of each airport using Google Maps. I use a different color pin every year to mark the first time I've landed at each airport. I can do a short description - who I was with, where I was going, what I was doing - attached to each pin.

I also use a pin on my map to show places I'd like to visit. These green "thumbtacks" on my Google Map give me quick reminders of airports that are on my list. If I'm looking for somewhere to go, I'll check out the list to see what is within my acceptable range.

My Google Map

Very cool! I may steal that idea from yah.

Atlantic to Pacific ocean flying trip..... (in the RV I'm building)

A lot of the stuff ya'll mentioned.

My bucket list?

Build and fly an RV.
DH. Mosquito.
Avro Lancaster
Hawker Hunter
N.A. Sabre
Do some bush flying.

Oh well...............

Hey where there is a will, there's a way haha! I'm with you on the N.A. Sabre!

Own every RV available, a Harmon Rocket and a new evo wing rocket when the start making them again. Dont want to much do I ????

Restore, own and fly a P-51D
Design a plane, build it, fly it and never sell plans for it
Fly my -8 across the pond
Own a runway with a home on lakefront property
Join 2-mile high club :)

F-16! and T-38!

But, I have to say, I would have never thought it, but the RV-8 has really made me feel like I got close to it!

I wonder how Smokey would respond since he has all that "envy" flight time ;)

Kick back

When my -8 is finished.

I want to retire from work, ride my Harley to the airport, fly a bit, spend the night in my airport cabin, fly some more, ride back home.

I wanna fly to Chicago in my RV9 from our home in Georgia, visit my high school buddy who lives there, eats lots Chicago food, drink lotsa beer, tour the city, watch fireworks on the Fourth of July from the waterfront.......wait I am doing that tomorrow!

We will be airborne by 9am. Track us at aprs.fi callsign: kj4efs :)

Trails

I want to fly the Oregon Trail and the route of Lewis and Clark. I could probablyfly East on one and return on the other to Seattle.

Mine's a fairly short list. And hopefully somewhat realistic...
Own my own property with an airstrip.
Fly a Tiger Moth.
And in a B-17.
Do the first flight in my -9A.
Take said -9A to Oshkosh across the Pacific......in one piece not crated.
Finally: be able to give the -9 to the young bloke to learn to fly in. :D

- Flying a Pitts over some body of water while doing every aerobatic maneuver know to man.

I have flown aerobatics in a Pitts over water several times, be warned it can be kind of disorienting with no good ground references. Stay at a very safe height!

To your question, I still want to somehow find it okay to spend the money and fly the P-51 someday! I should do it soon, it's not likely to get cheaper if I wait...

My wife is my second love...

She knows aviation was my first;)

The ONLY reason I became a helicopter CFI(I) was to share my love of vertical aviation. The top of my list would be to form a merit based helicopter flight school where I would offer free flight training to as many as I could afford (if you sign over the winning lotto ticket, you'll be first:D

Like minds

Build and fly an RV.
DH. Mosquito.
Avro Lancaster
Hawker Hunter
N.A. Sabre
Do some bush flying.

A kindred spirit!

I sat in a Spit once.......oh my!!! I still get goose bumps.

However, I would add - I want to fly the RV around the world. If ya gonna have dreams you might as well have big ones!

Jim

The ONLY reason I became a helicopter CFI(I) was to share my love of vertical aviation. The top of my list would be to form a merit based helicopter flight school where I would offer free flight training to as many as I could afford (if you sign over the winning lotto ticket, you'll be first:D

Cue me in if you ever get this going I want to be the first student! :D:eek:

At this point, finishing my RV-7 is the only thing on the list. Other things will follow.

At this point, I have three:

Fly XC from SMO to Michigan and give my dad some stick time.

Fly to Burning Man.

If they ever host it again, attend the Edwards AFB general aviation fly-in, and land my ship on the hallowed ground of the Rosamond Dry Lakebed.

Back