What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Jackson Hole

rwarre

Well Known Member
Planning a trip to Jackson Hole, WY. From Eastern CO, via Riverton, Dumont, then Jackson.
Looks like the highest part of the trip is 10,000. I will be flying at 12,000 feet. Anyone ever flown into Jackson? Anything I should be aware of? Thanks

check out Driggs

We fly into Driggs, ID when visiting this area as it is much more GA friendly. Plan on another visit the second week of July in our RV 10.

If you're actually going to Jackson, Driggs is only slightly cheaper and much less convenient. Great airport and cafe, though.

We flew into Jackson in our -10 last summer. There was a nominal landing fee (something like $8) and $15/night to park. No surprises. http://kochman.net/N819K/?p=1139

-Rob

Last edited:
No Surprises

Enjoy the trip. It is a good place to go and everyone should go there once I think. Art shops, restaurants, etc. The Grand Tetons and the lake are beautiful. When Jeanine and I went there they had a good chuck wagon show in Jackson. We drove up to Yellowstone National Park, walked around the town square and surrounding area. It was overcast the whole time we were there and much of my time was spent watching the Weather Channel trying to decide when to leave to get home and not miss work - that can dampen the fun a little bit. We left a day early. A highlight for me was this guy that was flying a Long EZ took off a few minutes before me gave me a very good personal PIREP that if I could get up to 14,000 ft it looked good to the west. I found out later that it was Dick Rutan.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Landing fee..

There is a fee but minor compared to all other expenses of owning a plane. Service there was just fine and my RV looked cool parked between all the personal jets. I flew in to JAC in Sept and the whole valley was golden brown. It was therefore the easiest airport every to find in that valley! The only man made thing around. It is a great place to visit but yes you have to watch the weather.

I must be getting old. I flew my RV-6 in there 12 or 13-years ago and do not remember any fee. AvGas was a little more there but it was still under $2 a gallon back then.

West Yellowstone

When I flew to visit Yellowstone I decided to use West Yellowstone airport, just west of Yellowstone just across Montana border. I did fly up the valley near Riverton and up over the ridgeline toward Jackson, saw the valley with Jackson and the Tetons, then across Yellowstone, saw Old Faithful in action, and landed at West Yellowstone.

CAP-KJAC.jpg

I did it in 2010 and while they waived the landing fee because of CAP I did have to pay a $10 overnight fee which I believe was discounted because of a fuel purchase.

I would call the FBO and see what the total would be. They get good and bad reviews as to friendliness, but they did OK by me. The facility is very nice.

The downwind to RWY 19 does have a hill in the way...and the winds shift in a moments notice. Make sure you hear and obey clearances to the letter. ;)

It is a pretty destination, but agree with others, bring $$.

Jackson hole

I have been in there with my RV-10 and multiple times for work. The fees for jets are expensive with minimum fuel requirements. I don't remember it being that expensive for the 10 but we just went there for the day and hiked around. Possible min. requirement for 100LL. Beautiful scenery. Watch the winds, especially if they are coming strong from the west. The ILS is on 19 so you fly next to the tallest peaks on this approach. One example was flying a Citation down the ILS and watching my airspeed deteriorate. I added up to 90 percent to stay on the glideslope! As I was about to go missed/or slightly to the east to get away form the downdraft (in visual conditions) The force subsided and ended as a good approach. Just be aware of the winds. Definitely a great place to go though.

buy enough fuel, fees nothing!

The fees for jets are expensive with minimum fuel requirements.
We flew into Jackson Hole in a Citation X about a year ago. When you fill the Citation tanks up, they are VERY friendly to you and the other fees just go away!

We flew into Jackson Hole in a Citation X about a year ago. When you fill the Citation tanks up, they are VERY friendly to you and the other fees just go away!

Well, you don't have to worry about second segment in a X like me in a slow-tation 525. Plus I'm out of SLC so I can tank fuel cheaper than the difference of the minimum/handling. When I'm in the Falcon 900 I'm less concerned.

Grrr!

The FBO owner is greed personified and has the board cowed. I live just South of there (KPNA) and used to work there. Landing fee based on weight. Like $7.50 for an RV-10. $20 fee to have a guy wave you into parking. Another $20 if you fly around a little. Hangar fees are high. No courtesy cars. Lots of rental cars and a great place to go if you've never been there. Gas well over $6 pretty sure. If you're planning on touring the park(s) its a good destination. Alternatives are Driggs on the backside, Dubois on the East side (limited services). Manager at Dubois has built 2 RV-6A's. Pinedale (KPNA) is 56nm South. Rental cars, no fees, and cheaper gas. Big Piney (KBPI) is also near Pinedale. Good gas price, cheap hangar, and maybe a courtesy car available. My strip is near Pinedale. I'll let people in with advance notice. Might have a spare truck also.

West Yellowstone...

+1. They are glad to see you.

At Jackson Hole you are just another tourist. FBO wanted to rip me off for a rental car. I walked over to the airline terminal and got one for $30/day less. Motel in W. Yellowstone was great and reasonable. "Non-smoking" room in Jackson was $30/night more than the W. Yellowstone conference center and resort (Jacuzzi in Living room) and had cigarette burns in the carpet and smell to match.

Larry Tompkins
544WB RV-6A
W52 Battle Ground WA

When I flew to visit Yellowstone I decided to use West Yellowstone airport, just west of Yellowstone just across Montana border. I did fly up the valley near Riverton and up over the ridgeline toward Jackson, saw the valley with Jackson and the Tetons, then across Yellowstone, saw Old Faithful in action, and landed at West Yellowstone.

Back