What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will this thing work?

TomRV8

I am getting back on my RV-7A project after a two year layoff (what was I thinkin'?).

I picked up a 90* oil filter adapter somewhere way back when, and decided to stick it on the engine. IO 360A1B6. At the time I was told it would fit the motor.

Below are pics of the new OFA, and the old one I took off the motor, as well as a view of the back of the accessory housing.

The two obviously look a lot different. With moving the vernatherm from the bottom of the original to the side of the new one, and the differences in the look of everything, I just want to confirm that this 90* adapter will (or won't) work correctly...

Thanks!
Tom

003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

With the proper gasket or by modifing the gasket style you have it will work fine. If using the style gasket you have trim it slightly where the vernatherm will seat against the accessory houisng so that the gasket will not hold the vernatherm off the seat and it will work fine. The proper gasket doens't have gasket material in that area.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

With the proper gasket or by modifing the gasket style you have it will work fine. If using the style gasket you have trim it slightly where the vernatherm will seat against the accessory houisng so that the gasket will not hold the vernatherm off the seat and it will work fine. The proper gasket doens't have gasket material in that area.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Thanks Mahlon!

I trimmed the gasket back this morning to be sure the vernatherm will seat, and installed the unit.

Sure appreciate your response to my question,, and to the list as a whole!

Tom

On the airframe

I tried to put a 90 degree adaptor on my 360 with the engine installed. It would not fit in the space available. Between firewall and engine.

Tom,
If you have enough room, it will fit, but may not work as well as far as vernatherm fit is concerned. With the original adapter, the vernatherm seats into a machined hole in the adapter and it fits very well, not letting any oil leak past it when seated (warm). With the 90 degree adapter, the vernatherm seats on the accessory pad and is subject to how well you align it. The 1/4" bolts that hold the adapter to the pad are smaller than the holes in the adapter - so there's a little play. If not aligned precisely, the vernatherm doesn't seat completely and a little oil can bypass when the vernatherm is seated, bypassing the oil cooler. I have a 90 degree adapter on my RV-8 and I eliminated the vernatherm (just removed it and put the cap back on), and it lowered my oil temperature by about 15 degrees in the summer. If you do this, you'll need to install the original Lycoming bypass valve and spring - they call it a viscosity valve. It costs about 30 bucks and is easy to install.

Back