What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check timing on P-Mag?

Iluke

Well Known Member
I'm coming up on my first condition inspection and I an curious what others do regarding P-Mag timing.

I have a factory experimental IO-360 bought through Vans with one traditional mag and one P-Mag. I'm very familiar with static timing a traditional mag to 25 degrees with a buzz box.

My question is what do you do on a P-Mag at condition inspection? Do you go through the routine described in the manual for initial installation? It describes setting the engine to TDC, then blowing into the MAP tube twice to turn on the set-up mode, then a couple other steps to set the timing. There does not seem to be a way just to check to verify that the P-Mag timing is good and hasn't drifted.

For those of you with one P-Mag, what do you do with it at condition inspection?

thnaks
Ivan

You should really follow the manual and pull the mag annually to check the shaft and for drive gear play. The manual describes the procedure well on page 22.

You can check the timing on the P-mag by turning the prop with the power supplied to the mag and checking when the light turns green. Again please follow the manual especially when it comes to safely turning the prop.

https://emagair.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Manual-LC114v28.pdf

I have 2 Pmags installed.
I pull mags and check play....per manual
Clean and install new gaskets.
I reinstall and retime......per manual
I check the Ohm readings on the plug wires and record them...per manual.
I replace plugs, gap and reinstall ..........per manual.
It does seem futile when all is good before and after, but one day...in the future, it will pay off with history showing you that something is wearing.

Back