What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Trailblazer Storage

DavePlaneGrips

Well Known Member
I thought I'd read something about propeller storage here but now I can't find the threads. I bought my prop at the beginning of 2021 and it's spent most of its time in my downstairs living room. It's getting long enough now I'm thinking I should take steps to protect it, so what other folks done?

Should I fill the propeller hub with oil? I recall something about the seals drying out if stored too long? I really don't want to have to get an overhaul before my first flight.

prop storage

My prop spent also several years in a living room, in the original shipping box, serving as a “bench” for my cat to look out a window (his idea, not mine…but no issues with him doing that). I did not take any special precautions, mostly because it was already in a temperature controlled environment with reasonable humidity levels. It worked out ok, and the prop functioned fine from the first flight on.

Hartzell doesn’t have any long term storage instructions described in the owner’s manual (at least none in mine). They do list calendar time limits for overhaul or re-seal, as well as for flight time. The calendar time between overhaul (for mine) is set at 72 months. People can (and probably will) debate that, but those are Hartzell’s numbers, likely based on the fact they have no idea how a prop (flying, or not) has been stored….indoors, outdoors, humidity level, typical weather exposure, condition of the prop grease, etc. So their number may be on the conservative side, but there it is.

As to filling the hub with oil, I personally would not. During normal ops, the oil from the crankshaft does not enter the blade pitch the control mechanism side of the hub. If it did, it would wash the grease out, causing some grief (re-seal or overhaul time). So, keep it safely stored, and then figure out how to deal with the overhaul time limit when it comes up. I have exceeded the time limit, but I am planning on a re-seal or overhaul next condition inspection……it’s due.

I appreciate the pirep Steve. I don't know more about these props than "oil pressure make blades move", but it looks like there's a nub on the back with a hole I would think oil goes in. That's what I was thinking about putting oil in but won't now.

What seals get dried out then?

Well, the rubber seals don’t really absorb oil, they just keep it contained. The two things that do degrade rubber are time (from manufacture date) and temperature. (Also incompatible fluids….not a factor here.)

The seals used our props, engines, fuel valves, etc, are very resilient against fuel/oil/heat….no real surprise. Time you can’t do much about. But they will last for many years between replacement times. You should be fine. And, if the prop does sling a bit of grease when first run, clean it off and watch it for a few hours of run time. If it stops, great. If not, then look at a re-seal.

Look in your MANUAL

I have a Hartzell blended airfoil prop. C2YR-1BFP/F7497
The manual/logbook that I got with mine, and I assume u got, says the 72 months for recommended factory service is 72 months FROM FIRST START.
Not a requirement for Experimental, but u do what u want.

Back