Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2021, 09:56 PM

Default Rivet squezer

You don't need a pneumatic rivet squezer to build an RV! It is nice to have if you can afford one.

To build a RV 12 you have to have a pneumatic rivet puller. Oh you can use whatever pop rivet tool you like, but remember that kit has like 10,000 + pop rivets in ot and if you use a hand pop riveter you will either have an arm like popeye or be able to crack open walnuts with your hand.

RV 6A flying sold
RV 8A flying sold
RV 12 flying sold
RV 14A flying
Old 06-13-2021, 06:26 AM

Im definitely going to re-allocate the $700 or so I would have spent on a pneumatic squeezer to either other tools or put it in the war chest for the tail kit. Thanks for all the input, yall!
Old 06-13-2021, 09:22 AM

Default My 2 Cents

6 months ago I had the same question and overwhelmingly the response was it's not needed just get the Cleveland main squeeze. I'm a tool guy and decided to get the pneumatic squeezer anyways and happy I did. For me it's enjoyable just squeezing the trigger and getting a nice consistent rivet.
The main squeeze is $476, a pneumatic from ATS is only $73 more. And I bought a cheap hand squeezer. So for a little over $200 I have both. Yes I know the main squeeze is better but is it better than a pneumatic with the occasional use of a "inferior" hand squeezer?

My thoughts are why not have the luxury of a pneumatic when it's really not all that much more expensive. Tools are a VERY small percentage of the total cost of building a plane, why not get the ones that will make it easier and more enjoyable. Plus when I finish I can sell it and recoup more than half the cost.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:39 AM

The cost of any tool is not what you pay for it but the difference in what you pay and what you can sell it for. Once you own it you have an asset. No different than a house or car.
Flying N376E
Old 06-13-2021, 06:09 PM

I bought a remanufactured pneumatic squeezer on E-Bay for $250 and whished that I had done so at the beginning of my build. It allows you to make consistent quality squeezes every time. You can always sell it after the build. By the way don't forget the tool buying never ends! Its part of the fun of ownership.

RV-7A
N247BW
Old 06-13-2021, 09:23 PM

I bought the cleveland hand squeezer, but quickly learned that buying a used pneumatic squeezer made the job go quicker, the repeatability of a consistent squeezed rivet, you can also hold the part better and squeeze with push of a button. Buy it used and sell it when finished and if you happen to sell it for less than you paid consider it a cheap long term rental fee.
Leather seats by Flightline Interiors.
Still to do: Firewall forward, cowling fit and paint, G3X avionics.
FLY
Old 06-14-2021, 06:59 AM

Oh, we love our pneumatic squeezer, such a pleasure to use and consistently repeatable results. If you do decide to buy one, steer away from the cheaper Chinese versions, go straight for this one:

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/produ...no-yoke-snb214

Yea, it's not cheap, but worth it.

We started off with one of those $350 Chinese copies (came with a toolkit) and thought that we just weren't good at it, it was so bad we went back to the rivet gun. Long story short, you get what you pay for.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy