Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2021, 07:31 PM

Default Remediating step crack: Weld or buy new?

How should I proceed here? Condition inspection on my 7A revealed cracks on the insides of both sides, just below the mount plate weld. Both cracks parallel about 1/8" below the weld. Passenger side crack migrated to the end, allowing the step to be wiggled.

A few searches on here revealed some folks welding and reinforcing the cracked area while others indicated Vans improved manufacturing of the steps so would appreciate post-use experience welding these steps versus buying new ones.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:37 PM

Default Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVphil View Post
How should I proceed here? Condition inspection on my 7A revealed cracks on the insides of both sides, just below the mount plate weld. Both cracks parallel about 1/8" below the weld. Passenger side crack migrated to the end, allowing the step to be wiggled.

A few searches on here revealed some folks welding and reinforcing the cracked area while others indicated Vans improved manufacturing of the steps so would appreciate post-use experience welding these steps versus buying new ones.
Another option.
Send them to Russ McCutcheon. He is the one that fabricates them and the new gusset. He welded mine. Not installed yet but I haven't read anyone with new ones cracked.
russmccutcheon@gmail.com
http://mccutcheonmetalfabricationavi...com/index.html
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:15 AM

I've got a set of new steps that I decided not to use. They were manufactured less than a year ago and appear to have a beefed up area where they typically crack.

If you're interested in going the replacement route, I'd sell them for what I paid. Get them off my shelf and save somebody else the tax of buying them from Vans.

text me at 480-440-8817 if you'd like pictures
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 06-04-2021, 05:31 AM

Russ will repair them and install the gusset at a low cost. The 2 way shipping was more than the repair cost though.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA
Old 06-04-2021, 07:37 AM

I replaced one of my steps with a new one (the crack propagated around to the outer face) and repaired the other with the gusset purchased from Vans.

I recommend going the weld repair route because:
1. It was much cheaper to buy the gusset and have a weld shop perform the welding after you massage the gusset to fit and strip all paint from the weld area.
2. It was a pita to match up existing rivet holes in the fuselage to the new step and then to match up the hole drilled in the step tube to the nylon block under the baggage floor.

In either case, you must remove the forward section of the baggage floor and remove the step which may be prosealed to the fuselage. I used the steel pop rivets Vans supplied to attach the repaired step to the fuselage.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:07 AM

I have repaired one step while still on the plane with success. The crack was completely around the back and coming to the outside. Saved the hassle of removing the floor/step, etc.

I do have 30+ years of welding experience at hand though, which I think helped. Of course the paint did not survive on the step, but we were able to preserve the paint on the fuselage without any issues.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the insights thus far. I bought this RV used so at a disadvantage as to what's involved in removing the step. I realized it's not an easy task in doing so after removing the nearest side panel and looking under the floor. A local TIG welding expert is to take a closer look at the cracks next week and will go with his assessment.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:15 PM

Default Vans notification

Here is a link to the Vans notification for how to repair cracked steps, just in case you don't have it. The gussets are $2.70 each.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/service.../n-2018-03-21/
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 06-05-2021, 08:46 PM

If you're replacing the step, how hard is it to change from riveted on to bolted on?
Old 06-05-2021, 09:12 PM

Default Bolted

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
If you're replacing the step, how hard is it to change from riveted on to bolted on?
You may want to ask Vans. I don't think the side skin will tolerate enlarging a bunch of holes to bolt size. The steps.are riveted with #4 pull rivets and one bolt through a delrin spacer at the end of the pipe. Biggest part of the job is removing pop riveted floor panels.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.