Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly3g View Post
How about two pods tied in at lower fuselage corners and 9A gear legs? Have to have some flex in the connections to absorb the relative motions on bad touchdowns. Clear up some airflow down the fuselage center line.
humm.... two smaller speed brakes vs one large speed brake. bike size is 25 x 25 x 11 inch.

or mounting to the sides of the fuselage? playing, move the boxes.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-28-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:38 AM

This is a cool idea and probably has a small market, if you are interested. The aero concerns are being discussed at length, but my focus, in order of priority, would be:
1) cooling flow. I don't see this as huge risk, but worth investigation with some mockup and gopro work.
2) soften the leading edges as much as possible without sacrificing load capacity much.
3) fairing at the aft end to minimize the low pressure zone on the back side.

Other than that my concerns would be:
1) structural mounting points and their load carrying ability in both limit load and fatigue.
2) weight.

Looks like a great, if time consuming, project!

Tim
Old 05-28-2021, 11:05 AM

Default Call David Shelton

Steve,

You should contact David Shelton of MotoPod fame. He designed the pod for the 10, and I'm sure he would have valuable insights on your project. For the MotoPod, it winches up to the belly of the plane, so that it's easy to load, unload, install and remove. As far as exhaust, the major thickness for the MotoPod is a little farther back on the 10 than yours would be. I would think you'd want to use a sandwich of SS sheet and 1/8" or 1/16" fiberfrax against the fiberglass. That should prevent damage. As for cooling problems, can't help you there. My MotoPod is built, but I haven't yet gotten the 10 flying. I am enjoying the occasional ride on the MotoCycle that fits in the pod though. I keep it used regularly, so it stays in good shape. E-bikes will probably make more sense, once I'm flying, but for now, the MotoCycle is the plan. Should be fun once it's all done and flying!
RV-10 - Working on engine / prop installation
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 05-28-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilotmike View Post
Steve,

You should contact David Shelton of MotoPod fame. He designed the pod for the 10, and I'm sure he would have valuable insights on your project. For the MotoPod, it winches up to the belly of the plane, so that it's easy to load, unload, install and remove. As far as exhaust, the major thickness for the MotoPod is a little farther back on the 10 than yours would be. I would think you'd want to use a sandwich of SS sheet and 1/8" or 1/16" fiberfrax against the fiberglass. That should prevent damage. As for cooling problems, can't help you there. My MotoPod is built, but I haven't yet gotten the 10 flying. I am enjoying the occasional ride on the MotoCycle that fits in the pod though. I keep it used regularly, so it stays in good shape. E-bikes will probably make more sense, once I'm flying, but for now, the MotoCycle is the plan. Should be fun once it's all done and flying!
good thoughts. the MotoPod is unique in that it winches into place. I am thinking a simple carbon fiber box structure that mounts using a conventional bolt / turnbuckle method at the corners. the box will include all six side faces for rigidity. since this rigid box is mounting to a monocoque fuselage, the box cannot be allowed to restrain the natural flex of the fuselage and induce stress. a three point deterministic mount system would be better but a four point mount is not bad and allows for easy access at the corners, nothing to connect under the wing. also, there is a gasket interface to the fuselage that allows for some flex. note, the front mounts will have redundancy (2 per side) but from a structure flex standpoint can be considered one mount. I do not plan to attach directly to spars that could create hard points but rather the vertical sides of the aircraft with steel doublers. the loads will find their way to spars in the normal manner. max total weight loaded = 130 lb. 4.4g loading = 572 lb.

I gave myself a liberal margin for the box weight of 60 lb. a .05 inch thick shell box weight using carbon fiber = 23 lb. so I should be able to be less than 60 lb. but you know, weight always goes up with stuff like this. it will probably come in around 40 lb. fully loaded with two people, baggage, and pod with half tanks, I am still within max gross weight, albeit, a different load distribution from wing to fuse (fuel load in wing vs pod load on fuse).

thermal stress from hot to cold condition will not be an issue using the bolt turnbuckle method with the gasket seal.

the guaranteed range of a Brompton eBike is 25 miles. I'm sure the motocycle can beat that and is much faster. hey, that motopod could also be used as a boat, it's big!

https://youtu.be/TxhFdvA72YM

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-28-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:01 PM

Why not a small pod under each wing for the bikes?
Old 05-29-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman CYYJ View Post
Why not a small pod under each wing for the bikes?
I could not find a way to put them there. what are your thoughts?

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 05-29-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
I could not find a way to put them there. what are your thoughts?
The same way you attach the bombs or drop tanks

Old 05-29-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
The same way you attach the bombs or drop tanks

I don't see much opportunity there.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 05-29-2021, 06:04 AM

Default reach?

how best to reach in there to get your stuff? it's deep.

a thin sliding bottom tray or something? a pole with hook?

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 05-29-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
how best to reach in there to get your stuff? it's deep.

a thin sliding bottom tray or something? a pole with hook?
Anything you put in there should have a piece of cargo strap attached to it with a carabiner, and the tail of the strap attached to a convenient point just inside the cargo box. Maybe using a piece of velcro to hold it there so it is easy to grab.

But the truth is, getting stuff out will be easier than getting stuff in. Getting anything in there will require a bit of manhandling.
2019(?) RV-10