What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please tell me this part is ruined so I can move on

My problem with this thread is that choosing to make a structurally acceptable repair over replacement implies a compromise in build quality, or ‘bashing it out’.

Again, an implication that build quality is being compromised. build quality falls into a least two different segments - structural integrity and cosmetic. I fully agree that we should not be making compromises on the former, but on the latter everyone has their own set of standards and no one benefits by continuing to argue that their cosmetic standard is the one that should be followed by all. I simply don't see how covering up this flaw with a bit of bondo changes the build quality from excellent to sub-standard. However, that is just my opinion and I have no business trying to push others to conform. If the OP asked how to make this a gold lindy winner, that is another matter all together.

I do agree however that it makes sense to help builders from falling into the "good enough" trap that could bleed over time into structural issues. I feel that all issues like this should defer to Van's on the structural element and make their own decisions on the cosmetic side.

Larry

Last edited:
For anyone finding this thread down the road.

I ordered the skin on it's own. It cost $48 dollars. Shipping to Canada was $170. added together and converted to Canadian Dollars and my bill was $ 270 bucks for one shiny new, right side rudder skin. :eek:

For anyone finding this thread down the road.

I ordered the skin on it's own. It cost $48 dollars. Shipping to Canada was $170. added together and converted to Canadian Dollars and my bill was $ 270 bucks for one shiny new, right side rudder skin. :eek:
Forget smuggling drugs, start smuggling airplane parts! :D

Back