What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

[Wanted] Gretz Elevator Trim Info

Snowflake

Sidney, BC, Canada
Sponsor
Gretz used to sell a kit to mount your electric elevator trim servo in the space where the VS and HS meet in the fuselage, and use a short cable out to the tab. That kit is no longer available, but i'm wondering if anyone has any photos of such an install, or a copy of the Gretz paperwork that came with such an install. Specifically hoping to identify servo and cable part numbers.

I was sure i'd seen a discussion recently on this that had photos but a search has not been successful in finding it... Any help appreciated!

Rob, I have that setup. Basically you have the standard Ray Allen trim servo mounted on the aft fuselage deck. It actuates the trim tab using a cable routed through one of the lightening holes on the HS, then through a hole in the center of the HS and Elevator spar webs. The cable exits the underside of the elevator and ties to the trim tab with a standard clevis. If you want pictures, I can make/post some.

The thing I don’t know is the cable length. It looks like one of the green ones you’d custom source through Van’s or Aircraft Spruce. It has a threaded connection on each end.

Sounds similar to the setup in the RV 10.

You might get some ideas or parts from the 10 plans.

RE:Gretz Trim Mod

The attached doc is what I got a long time back on the Gretz elect trim servo install. Don't know what happened to the first page. I was able to get a used kit that included the cable and a few pieces of the kit from another builder and fab the rest myself so I don't know the actual length of the cable. Take note of where the trim servo is mounted on the deck. It is offset to the side where the cable exits into the horizontal stab to give the cable a more straight line path to the trim tab.

Attachments

• Gretz_ Install_ Instruc.pdf
    408.8 KB · Views: 143
Gretz elevator trim system

Rob,

Well, I'm almost no help. Went through all my build photos and could not find any close up ones of the Gretz trim setup on my 6A. Also can't find any install info in my build manual......so maybe it didn't come with any? Pretty sure I would not have thrown it away.

I can tell you the Gretz kit used a Ray Allen T3-12A servo. Don't remember the cable having any part number stamped on it.

If you like, I'd be willing to pull the empenage fairing off and take some close up photos of my setup. Let me know if that would help.

Rob, I have the cable (never used). It is 5’ end to end. If interested, pay for shipping and make what you think is a fair donation to Doug.
Cheers,
John
rv6a(at)rogers.com

Attachments

• 0F0CFC1C-53EF-4A1C-9BEF-FE895BC46916.jpeg
    0F0CFC1C-53EF-4A1C-9BEF-FE895BC46916.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
I'm the original designer of this trim configuration. I gave it to Warren Grett to sell.

Here's a picture of the MAC Servo installation:

I'm looking for the cable spec...

Attachments

• Elev_Trim1.jpg
    Elev_Trim1.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 105
Back