What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ventilation/Cooling Thru Heat Box

Champ

Well Known Member
Did a quick search but couldn't find anything on this.

My firewall is not insulated and I'd rather not do that. It's great for winter but radiates a lot of heat into the cockpit in the summer. Wondered if there is anything wrong with disconnecting the scat to my heat muff and rerouting it to the stainless steel "hot air" box on the firewall. Pull the Cabin Heat knob and you get lower extremity ventilation/cooling.

Any problem with leaving the heat muff in place with nothing connected to it?

Here's a picture of the current set up.
https://vansairforce.net/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=11617&stc=1&d=1621099914

Attachments

• Heat Muff 2.jpg
    Heat Muff 2.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 147
I would suggest to keep cool air running through the heat muff, otherwise it could overheat ???
With the heater valve closed, there should be very little warm air in the cabin??
Isn't your fresh air vent not sufficient???
Mind you, I'm not flying yet...

Any problem with leaving the heat muff in place with nothing connected to it?

From old discussions it would seem many folks recommend removing the outer shroud to keep from overheating the muffler. Not sure about just a heat muff that on the pipe only.

But pretty simple task to remove it, just in case it may be harmful.

I’ve got the regular eball vents - one in the panel and one on a small console around the rear stick. They’re OK but I can still feel the radiated heat on my legs off the firewall even with the Cabin Heat damper closed. With a full canopy in the sun more ventilation sure wouldn’t hurt and I don’t really want to add shades.

My Condition Inspection is up in June. I think I’ll give scat reroute a try then. The heat muff is an empty can with no baffling like a muffler so overheating should not be a problem. I’ll remove its outer shroud anyway just in case - it’s not a big deal to remove.

Back