Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2019, 01:10 AM

Default RV-6 rebuild project in Palm Springs CA

Hi all. First project thread here.

35 years old, British, living in beautiful Palm Springs California. Learned to fly about 10 years ago at White Waltham airfield in the UK.

I have owned an Avid Speedwing, Europa and a Cri-Cri.

Now flying an absolutely fantastic O-360 RV-4, which I bought right after moving to the US in 2017. I have around 200 hours in the aircraft, including three cross-country trips to Oshkosh.

I absolutely LOVE flying in the US. Imagine an East German walking into a West German supermarket in 1989 - that's how I feel about it. It's so good.

Where else in the world can you land your own aircraft on a dry lakebed in the middle of the desert, like this...

... only to randomly meet two guys doing the same thing in a Cessna 195...

who then give you a sandwich like this...

What an amazing place.

Whilst I really enjoy flying the RV-4, I've been interested in owning an RV-6 for a while. I fly long distances quite a lot and could use a bit more cabin space.

A few weeks ago a friend found out about an RV-6 that was for sale at an airport up near Sacramento. After deciding the project was too much for him, he passed the details on to me. Because I have never owned anything that doesn't need a load of fixing-up, I bought it. Ugh.

2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 08-28-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:25 AM

A week ago, after finishing some work in Napa, I drove three hours north to collect the aircraft. My transport home was to be a 26ft UHaul box truck. Note that the yellow trim line was removed before we even loaded it into the truck.

Doesn't fit, obviously...

The owner and two friends (including Chris, right, who put me onto the sale) helped me load it.

The truck rode like a washing machine filled with bricks, and 10 hour drive south was torture.

Parking a dismantled aircraft in my street caused quite a stir. After a discussion about whether I could fly it off the road (probably could, yo) a neighbour helped me unload the fuselage to the back garden, and the wings into my hangar. Here it is having a stare-out with my Roadmaster wagon (it's officially required, as a displacement-emaciated European emigrating to the United States, to buy the biggest V8 crapbox you can lay your hands on. I can't get enough of this car - this is my second Roadmaster wagon and I love it).

2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 08-28-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:50 AM

Progress so far:

Panel is out
Wiring is out
Have fitted a GRT AHRS and EchoUat/SkyFyx ADSB.
Put the old Narco MK12 Nav Com, AT-165 transponder and loads of other old instruments on eBay.

Panel plan is as follows:

The aircraft came with a brand new, unused, GRT Horizon HXr. I fitted GRT stuff in my RV-4 and really like it, so I'm pretty excited to have this unit.

For coms, I plan to buy Garmin SL-30, as it can send ILS Loc GS data to the HXr.

I am going to re-use the existing panel with a new section overlaid to accommodate the HXr and an iPad mini. The right side was originally blank, but I have cut holes for backup steam ASI, Alt, VSI and compass. I have those instruments available and they're not too heavy, so figure nice to have them onboard.

Haven't decided on an intercom yet.

I'd like to get a Garmin GPS 175 at some point, so will leave space for it in the radio stack.

Having flown for two years with a throttle quadrant in the RV-4, I really want one in this thing.

With regards to the engine, it needs mags so I figure they should be E-mags. The carb has been removed from the engine. I can't see why, but it is giving me the heebie jeebies, so I'll probably exchange it for a refurbed unit.

Looking right now like this thing is going to bankrupt me.
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 08-28-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:39 AM

Default Visit?

James -

Check your PM's.

Thx

HFS
Old 08-28-2019, 07:46 AM

Congratulations on your project James, I?m looking forward to following your progress. And yes, welcome to the bankrupt club! It?s the only time you can become bankrupt and still have a smile on your face. I guess it?s impossible to wipe off the ?RV grin?!!
RV-8- IO-360, Hartzell C/S (Flying)
RV-7- (Building)
Old 08-28-2019, 08:48 PM

I like the clever use of the yellow trim line on the nearby taxiway!
Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 PM

Default Left side throttle

James,

Send me an email and I'll send you a picture of the left side throttle I installed during my RV-6 rebuild. I kept the center throttle, so now it has full dual controls. No time to post pictures to VAF tonight.

We carry full camping gear for two including chairs in the RV-6.

Enjoy the rebuild.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF
Old 08-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Sent a pm regarding the nav/com that you removed out of your project
Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlip View Post
Having flown for two years with a throttle quadrant in the RV-4, I really want one in this thing.
Jamie,

Van's produced a drawing for a simple left hand throttle for the RV-6.

I'm just fitting one to an RV-6 that I'm reassembling in the UK, and using the drawing spec and a DJM single lever quadrant, plus a custom length cable. This is in addition to the existing centre throttle.

Good luck with the project. Did you ever get sorted with your Murphy Rebel?
RV-6 G-BZRV - Flown the nest.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:30 AM

Hi Ed. Great to hear from you again.

I'm interested in a centre throttle quadrant. Flyboy makes a nice looking curved one with three levers. If anyone has an opinion on it vs organ stop controls, I'd love to hear it.

Work update... I've done a lot of stuff, but not exactly sure what it has amounted to.

Fitted the GRT AHRS and magentometer, only to then read the installation instructions and discover the magentometer has to be in the wing for best performance. Always read the installation instructions first.

Removed all the Electronics Intl engine senders.

Mocked-up the top-mounted rudder pedals. Annoyingly, there are two NACA ducts positions -just- low enough to foul the top of the mounting blocks. I futzed with them for hours, shaving the top blocks down with a knife until both were unusable.

Luckily there are a few sets of these blocks in my pile of parts. I worked out that, rather than change the block, it'd be better to cut the bottom off the duct and repair it with automotive seam sealer once the block was installed. Not particularly nice, but I'm out of options.

This image shows the left side, which is a few thousands of an inch higher than the right!

I investigated buying E-Mags. The PO sold both the Slicks and unfortunately all the ancialliary stuff - gears, spacer, bolts etc. I've never met an A&P that rates Slicks anyway. This is going to be a big spend.

I cut the panel around a bit. Toyed with the idea of making a new one, but I'm going to put a blank over the left side of the existing one. I cut holes in the right side for backup steam ASI, Altimeter, VSI and compass. It'll look nice once it's painted.

Next projects:

1. Sort out the tailwheel chains. For some reason they're odd lengths and very tight. If the aircraft was flown like this, I bet it was crazy exciting on the ground. I'd like to go with the Flyboy linkage, but it's an oldschool non-swivelling tailwheel. Replacing it can be a project further down the line.

2. Cut the rest of the panel.

3. Shim the motor up so the spinner sits level with the top of the cowling.

4. Work out where to put the fuse block. Possibly make that flip-down panel that everyone seems to like.
2020 paid

Last edited by jamlip : 08-30-2019 at 12:58 PM.